Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 20:54   #46

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulfborealis View Post
I have done a lot of world travel in the past 5 years or so. When in doubt, I tell people I'm Canadian even though I carry a US passport.
I did something like this when I was in Colombia once. Someone randomly came to me asking where I was from and I said Germany. I was born there at least. When I said that, he just walked away.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 21:36   #47

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
In eleven years of sailing outside the USA, I never saw anyone have a problem because of the flag that they flew on their yacht.

The attitude that they fly is the thing that matters. People with an arrogant, pushy, aggressive attitude get into strife again and again.

It's rare for anyone to make at issue of your nationality unless you make it into an issue. When I sail offshore, I act like I am a citizen of the world, and when I set my feet on a foreign shore, I act like I am a guest. So far, no problems.

If you fly a smile, and you are generous with the people in the countries you visit, you will be welcome and treated with respect.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 21:53   #48

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
In eleven years of sailing outside the USA, I never saw anyone have a problem because of the flag that they flew on their yacht.

The attitude that they fly is the thing that matters. People with an arrogant, pushy, aggressive attitude get into strife again and again.

It's rare for anyone to make at issue of your nationality unless you make it into an issue. When I sail offshore, I act like I am a citizen of the world, and when I set my feet on a foreign shore, I act like I am a guest. So far, no problems.

If you fly a smile, and you are generous with the people in the countries you visit, you will be welcome and treated with respect.
Well said! Thank you.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 00:01   #49

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
During the time I've been here in Plymouth I've watched 3 foreign yachts arrive. One customs officer appears and 20 minutes later it's all over....... normally.
The exception was a 50 ft or so yacht, the owner of which took exception to being told that some of his food stores couldn't be imported and they would have to be destroyed.
Some of the words I caught included 'third world f******, references to support during the 2nd WW. I think the word '******' tipped the balance. The officer left and came back a couple of hours later with a ten man rummage team and a dog. Quite amusing to watch as they slowly stripped the boat. Maxingout's advise could have saved that sailor a whole load of grief.
No one likes to have their country disparaged or be treated uncivilly by a foreigner. When we leave our shores, we become the foreigner.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 00:05   #50
cruiser

Location: Usually somewhere that Triangulum Australe is in sight.
Boat: 28 foot steel sloop, Fiddler
You attract more bees with honey than ****...
Henry Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 00:53   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Diego Garcia

<polical content>
There are some places where you might expect American flags to be less welcome then others but I think most people in the world don't equate a nations international policies with the people of that nation, though maybe they should, but there probably are places where you could be less welcome with an American flag. We aren't supposed to be political on this forum but the topic does seem somewhat loaded in that direction. Some places where their might be some resentment built up? US Military | Manas Air Base | Guantanamo Bay

The long history of US interventions and support for dictators over democracy in nations other then their own could be seen as creating resentment in nations such as the ones in this article: friendly dictators

However, US interference in my own nations politics hasn't produced in me a resentment for Americans (that particular history is a long and varied one), only their political entities and I suspect people of other nations feel the same way. We may not view your nation as a friendly one but we do view your nationals as friends. I view it as a failure of your version of democracy that the behavior of your nation doesn't reflect the attitudes of the people of your country, at least the ones that I've been fortunate enough to meet.
</polical content>

<humourus content>
I've been known to curse the gigantic, wake making machines that usually (though not always) seem to be flying US flags plying our waters as my sails gayly dump any breeze they may have been filled with.
</humourus content>

Insert various emoticons here as you may deem appropos ..

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:07   #52

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
I'm almost surprised that someone hasn't set up a flag of convenience registry for residents of the Republic of Texas, thereby giving Poozer a third citizenship and flagging option! Of course, there is some possibility of confusing the Texan and Chilean flags; both are called the "Lone Star" ("La Estrella Solitaria"). Just don't try this in Argentina.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:23   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
I'm almost surprised that someone hasn't set up a flag of convenience registry for residents of the Republic of Texas
I think the Texas government has already done this. Simply register the vessel with the State of Texas and proudly fly the Flag of Texas. I don't think anyone will ever complain.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:09   #54
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Not done the world girdling by yacht (yet?!), but that chimes in with my experiances in various places (and with various nationalities, visiting and local)by foot (and plane ) - indeed I would go further and say that most locals really don't give a **** where you come from, even if polite about it.

It's not like you are dealing with locals who have never seen a Westerner* before. in fact for most the novelty has longgggggggg since worn off............50 years too late.

*PC for white fella
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:55   #55
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
but that chimes in with my experiances in various places (and with various nationalities, visiting and local)by foot (and plane ) - indeed I would go further and say that most locals really don't give a **** where you come from, even if polite about it.
In general you are right , but its not a universal thruth. SAilors from former imperial powers or loosing/winning sides in certain wars, can experience some personal issues. I have spoken to some, but year its a rarity and its almost always a function of the nature of the person.

The other thing is not to flaunt your wealth or your body, thoese in my case thats never an advantage. Dont wear lots of expensive watches or jewlery, dont see officials in shorts or a bikini ( unless very good looking!). dont raise your voice, smile , express gratitude but sigh etc. Its all a game really.

Its also helps if you come from poor repressed former colonies etc. ( like Jersey!).

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:05   #56

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulfborealis View Post
I have done a lot of world travel in the past 5 years or so. When in doubt, I tell people I'm Canadian even though I carry a US passport.
I guess that's OK as I tell people I'm from the US if I've hacked them off....
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote