Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 10:01   #46
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Is this possible or are we being unrealistic and naive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill4 View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I am feeling quite down after reading through the thread because the overwhelming consensus is that we do not have enough money to be able to do what we want to do. I cannot see us living and cruising on a monohull. Catamarans are what we know. I do not know where we go from here but it feels like our dream is broken.
Yep, unfortunately your dream is broken.

Go back to work and relish it for a few years. It will probably do you a bit of good to see that you could be out here doing it, but just on an appropriate priced boat.

We will still be here sailing around on our affordable boats

But you will be able to have a bigger boat at some stage.... As you get closer to the 16 years hence you will be able to have less cruisng kitty and more boat kitty... As long as you save diligently.

It's a great goal to save for! Make every dollar go into your investment account for when you finally come and join us.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:07   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies. I am feeling quite down after reading through the thread because the overwhelming consensus is that we do not have enough money to be able to do what we want to do. I cannot see us living and cruising on a monohull. Catamarans are what we know. I do not know where we go from here but it feels like our dream is broken.
Bill,

Don't give up on the dream. It could be doable now if you are willing and able to live a frugal lifestyle. Another consideration, in all likelihood it will take months and months to prepare a boat for departure anyway. Shop for a really good deal on the boat but keep working for another year or two to help pay for the inevitable costs to ready the boat and put a few more dollars (or pounds or euros) in the bank. That will also give you time to learn the boat and do some practice cruises around the UK. By the way, even when I had the money in hand and was ready to buy it took me two years to find the right boat.

I had to halt my cruising life for 30 years when my wife insisted that our daughter be raised in a real house on land. I was pretty disappointed at the time but now the daughter is a doctor and I'm just as excited about getting back to cruising as a teenager.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:11   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

A year or two will pass quickly, so don't despair. It took us a year to sell up most of our toys and business and wind up our lives to come cruising once our boat had been found and the decision to come cruising had been made. In the meantime with a goal in sight, downsize and save every penny you can. It will definitely make it easier making the final transition [ . You are so very close to your goal!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:15   #49

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:

We are quite homely people.......

All feedback, thoughts and advice welcome.

Thank you.
If you enter ports at dusk, and stay to yourselves in the daylight hours, no one will notice. Lol

When the economy tanks, your assets now, may be worth nothing tomorrow. Fiat currency really has what value? Only faith holds it together, and faith is about to burst. If you want this, go now, while paper money still buys something.

Find a 35' monohull for one third your boat budget, and keep the rest in gold. After the collapse, you can find your dream boat cheep with gold as your form of payment.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:46   #50

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
I guess it's all about priorities. To me, this statement is just odd, but to you, maybe it makes sense.

In my view, your original question could be translated into land terms as, "I have X dollars and I want to drive around Europe for a few years on a Ferrari. Can I do it?" We answered, "Probably not, but you sure can in a Volkswagen."

If the dream is to drive around in a Ferrari, then you're right, the dream is broken, bruised, or delayed. If the dream is to drive around Europe and it would be nice to do it in a Ferrari, but you'll settle for a Volkswagen and have just as much fun in the end, then your dream is just fine.

Many of the people on this board are having a great time in their Pintos, so saying you'll only do it if you get to have a Ferrari seems odd to us.

Have you ever owned a cruising boat and done some extended cruising? If not, spend $20k on a decent little 20 year old coastal cruising monohull and gain some skills and perspective first.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:47   #51

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Find a 35' monohull for one third your boat budget, and keep the rest in gold. After the collapse, you can find your dream boat cheep with gold as your form of payment.

If you keep the gold in the bilge, the boat will heel less, so it'll feel more like a catamaran...
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:57   #52

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Yup, can't be done. Best to go back to trading life for money. Eventually you'll get there. You'll either accumulate enough to go cruising in the only manner that you can accept, or you'll get old and/or comfortable enough so that this dream will pass.

Either way, problem solved.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:00   #53
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I've just consulted the OED (I get online access through the university.)

1st definition is the adjective: of or belonging to a household or home.
2nd definition is the adverb: plainly, simply; in an unsophisticated or unpretentious manner; roughly.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:05   #54

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

2nd definition is the adverb: plainly, simply; in an unsophisticated or unpretentious manner; roughly.
Goes to show I should have logged in instead of relying on a website that claimed to have consulted
Old 07-12-2012, 11:05   #55

Boat: Tartan 40

I have a friend with a Hylas 44 he bought for around 100K, has invested 60-70K+ to bring it up to speed, and will be going cruising soon when he and his wife retire. Now he has new rigging, sails, furler, engine, electronics, awlgrip, cushions, heads, plumbing, refrigeration, and more. Essentially new boat.
Funny thing is that he and his wife actually get seasick more on multis due to their sharper motion, and because their salons are high above the rotational axis of the boat. They prefer monos due to 1. better quality and selection at a price point, and 2. they prefer living in the "quieter" motion salon lower in the boat.
Google Hylas 44 and find pix of their aft cabin. Ditto for any number of other center cockpit sailboats that can be had for 100K. Seems pretty liveable to me. Boats, multi or mono, are all much smaller than the smallest apartments regardless.

You will not find many like sized multis where you can buy and refit for 190K. In any case, whatever you do, make sure your "boat budget" includes the price of a full refit, since your monthly budget won't cover too many down the road major expenses....

Cats have many differences that some perceive as advantages, others just see as differences. One key difference is the lack of selection of "bluewater capable" cats at low prices.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:15   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
I guess it's all about priorities. To me, this statement is just odd, but to you, maybe it makes sense.

In my view, your original question could be translated into land terms as, "I have X dollars and I want to drive around Europe for a few years on a Ferrari. Can I do it?" We answered, "Probably not, but you sure can in a Volkswagen."

If the dream is to drive around in a Ferrari, then you're right, the dream is broken, bruised, or delayed. If the dream is to drive around Europe and it would be nice to do it in a Ferrari, but you'll settle for a Volkswagen and have just as much fun in the end, then your dream is just fine.

Many of the people on this board are having a great time in their Pintos, so saying you'll only do it if you get to have a Ferrari seems odd to us.

Have you ever owned a cruising boat and done some extended cruising? If not, spend $20k on a decent little 20 year old coastal cruising monohull and gain some skills and perspective first.
What a great analogy, almost poetic. When I read the OP's response, thought, "What a twit, if he can't have his Ferrari, he's going home and cry in his milk."

If you want 'homely', look at side views of new Catamarans under 44' or so. Was it Churchill who said, "The same people, separated by a common language."
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:19   #57

Boat: PT-11
Except the OP probably doesn't know what a Pinto is...
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:30   #58
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Except the OP probably doesn't know what a Pinto is...
It's like a Twixel. They come in a box and you eat them. Americans love them. But they have just gone broke so they don't exist anymore.

I have never had one whilst in American. I've done all the other touristy things though.... Visited a gun shop

Old 07-12-2012, 11:31   #59
Long Range Cruiser

Or is it a Twinkle?

Old 07-12-2012, 11:46   #60
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

Gotta remember that English is a constantly evolving language, not only with new words but also meanings change / evolve.

Which means that the Brit members get to make stuff up - and then claim it as authentic .

In regard to OP, banking on a 2.5% inflation rate would (IMO) be somewhat optimistic.......

......the dream is perfectly possible, just need to roll back on the boat cost - and given yer intended timescale of ownership will also have to factor in a couple of major refits.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote