Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 10:57   #1

Italy Flag De-Registration

Hi Guys,

Just in the process of buying a boat in Italy. The boat has an Italian flag + VAT paid. I wish to sail it outside of Italy and therefore wish to register it on the USA flag.

My question is, does it possible to de-register the boat from the Italian flag while the boat is not in Italy? I'm on a tight schedule and can afford any time in Italy and i understood that it takes about a month to de-register from the Italian flag.

Thanks
Hadar.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:09   #2

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Italy Flag De-Registration

No. You will need to get it deregistered first and will need to have the appropriate Gardia di fiancé papers done the costa carabinieri papers done because they will now check if any taxes are owed and they check current owner financial position etc they have got tough in Italy the Gardia di financia do regular checks now on the Italian owners to see how they bought and can afford to buy a yacht
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadar.C View Post
Hi Guys,

Just in the process of buying a boat in Italy. The boat has an Italian flag + VAT paid. I wish to sail it outside of Italy and therefore wish to register it on the USA flag.

My question is, does it possible to de-register the boat from the Italian flag while the boat is not in Italy? I'm on a tight schedule and can afford any time in Italy and i understood that it takes about a month to de-register from the Italian flag.

Thanks
deleting the registry can be done anywhere,its getting the deletion certificate that takes time,then applying for a new registration that can take months.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:16   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
No. You will need to get it deregistered first and will need to have the appropriate Gardia di fiancé papers done the costa carabinieri papers done because they will now check if any taxes are owed and they check current owner financial position etc they have got tough in Italy the Gardia di financia do regular checks now on the Italian owners to see how they bought and can afford to buy a yacht

i belive the boat does not have to be in italian waters to do this,but everything else can be done by an agent if not in italy.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:21   #5
cruiser

Malta has the most awesome looking flag.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:22   #6

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

They won't let yacht leave especially if in a marina I have been in Porto di Roma since December 2013 and they have stopped yachts leaving for the same reason but it should take only a few days to a week to have it deregistered it all depends which Provence it is registered in if the yacht is registered in Roma and the yacht is in Sicily ( let's say ) then that will take a month to do
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 15:12   #7

Deregistration is usually paperwork only. The current owner or your broker should be able to do this. Commence your USA registration immediately. Keep you evidence of having paid VAT indefinitely. Registration gives you the protection at sea that your government and its international cosignatories provide for sailors. A US resident must have their boat registered in the US. Boaters who do otherwise run the risk of having to pay for rescue and other consequences.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 15:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
A US resident must have their boat registered in the US. Boaters who do otherwise run the risk of having to pay for rescue and other consequences.
Could you explain this in somewhat more detail please? I've never heard of that "pay for rescue" issue before. Thanks.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 22:08   #9

When you register a boat in any country, you actually come into a contract with the government where your burden is the registration fee but the benefit is that the coast guard will rescue you whenever you get into difficulty. This is usually at no charge to you. Most countries around the world have reciprocal agreement with most other countries to rescue a sailor who is in difficulty at no charge. However, if you have not registered your boat then you do not have a contract with any government to rescue you for free. Sure they will rescue you, but when they find out that the boat is not registered with a cosignatory country, the rescuing country might want recompense for the effort.

Boat owners must register their boat in that country of nationality as shown in their passport.
Old 06-09-2014, 22:21   #10

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/soap...y-for-rescues/

Cost for sailing family rescue: $663,000 | UTSanDiego.com

HowStuffWorks "Paying for Search and Rescue"
Old 07-09-2014, 05:13   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Hadar C.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 16:06   #12

Boat: HR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
Boat owners must register their boat in that country of nationality as shown in their passport.
For about 13 years I live, work and pay taxes in Italy. I have Russian passport, so should I register my boat in Russia? And if I was from Mongolia, Afganistan or Chad? I doubt that sailboat even can be registered there.
By the way, my boat is under French flag.
As i know, human lives rescue always been and should be free, but boat salvage must be paid. However in this matter i am agree with Eric Hiscock's opinion:
" I would make would be that, except for yachts taking part in a race for which some club or other organization felt responsible, no yacht should be permitted to carry ship/shore radio.

We in yachts do not have to go to sea like the professional seaman does, we go because we want to, and therefore we have no right when in trouble to call on others, perhaps with risk to them, to get us out of a difficulty which, with a bit of planning and some common sense, we could probably have avoided. "
igorkiporouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:24   #13

Buying boat in Italy, Its registered already in Italy, want to de flag and register in US, but it will stay in italy. what/who do we contact in the US to get this registered in US. Obviously we can't bring the boat over to US. its a 21ft boat.

any help would be great.
USSMinnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 05:42   #14

Hello....I purchased a boat in Italy, and I am presently living in Italy, but I would like to change the flag to a German one....is this a difficult process? hoping there is someone out there who has done this, as the Italian officials are difficult to deal with at best.....
Blacktip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 05:53   #15

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadar.C View Post
Hi Guys,...

Thanks
Maybe, but probably you have to do that through an agency. Yacht agencies in Italy have legal powers regarding Italian law, I mean they do not just take care of papers but have a legal status. Contact a good one for details. Ask the broker advise regarding agencies. Also you will find out the with an agency will only take a fraction of the time if you take care of everything.

It should not be like that...but you are in Italy and the agencies have well.... privileged contacts on the state departments.

The agency can do that at almost the same time, de-register and to have an American flag. You cannot sail out of Italy without the boat being registed and flagged somewhere. Last time I asked that would cost several thousands of euros.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Italy, registration