Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2018, 04:38   #1

Just over the "LOA limit" (EU/Med)?

I am planning to buy a ~10m/32' boat but want to keep costs as much under control as possible. Two candidates are the Westerly Fulmar (clearly <10.0m) and the Discus (10.13m).

I often see a steep jump in marina costs beyond 10m (sometimes 30-40% higher), my question is how much chance we got to negotiate a "10m price" for a 10.13m boat?

Mostly interested in European (Med&Atlantic) experience.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:16   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: Just over the "LOA limit" (EU/Med)?

How does your average European marina know the LOA? I’ve never had anyone measure my boat, or challenge if the anchor should be added in. Just round down and say 10m.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Just over the "LOA limit" (EU/Med)?

They may give discounts on length of stay.. but short term no..
I did have the length of my Longbow questioned a time or two.. also the length is stated on your registration doc.. SSR whatever..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:41   #4

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

It's in more laid back America rather than more tightly regulated Europe, but I just round off to the lower foot. No one ever has questioned it.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Just over the "LOA limit" (EU/Med)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attikos View Post
It's in more laid back America rather than more tightly regulated Europe, but I just round off to the lower foot. No one ever has questioned it.
Actually.. for visitors its more tightassed than Europe..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:48   #6

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Actually.. for visitors its more tightassed than Europe..
Heheh ... then I guess I'm fortunate not to be a visitor.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:00   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
How does your average European marina know the LOA? I’ve never had anyone measure my boat, or challenge if the anchor should be added in. Just round down and say 10m.
They ask to see boat documents...
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:12   #8

Hi, Normally it goes from 10 directly to 12 meters. So say its 10 meters and talk to the Dutch harbour masters, they are the nicest. there are may in the med.

Almerimar, la Gomera (Can. islands) and many more.

stef the Dutchman

No seriously: In the Med its 10 or 12m in my experience.

happy sailing in your future westerly (nice boats)
stefnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:13   #9

Boat: Beneteau 423

In my experience they do occasionally measure but it's usually when someone either clearly misstates the length or they have large overhangs (dinghy , bowsprit etc) . I have seen it done a few times in our marina. Once the length is established there is little opportunity to negotiate. This is usually when people take annual contracts. For the odd overnight stay I have never seen it done. They just accept what you say. But it will be in their database for future reference.
breezydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:25   #10

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I don't even know how long my Snowgoose 35 is. The clue should be in the name, but my registration lists it as 10.36m, Sailboat data lists it as 10.72m.

Either way like you I was keen to remain under a certain length. In my case it was 11m as costs shoot up over that. Every marina I visit just notes down what's on the registration.

I was also concerned about beam, as many of the marinas I looked at charged by m2. I thought 'great' the Prout has a narrow beam and can even fit into some monohull berths. Not that any marinas will listen. I've never understood it really, as beam is a much more important factor than length in determining how many vessels you can fit on your pontoons.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:30   #11

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
It is not like that.In most cases they will ask for the boat documents and the length considered is the one that is there, normally not the LOA but the hull length.

The big diference happens on boats with less than 10m or more than 10m. That is why most of the so called 34ft boats declare a hull lenght (or have it?) of about 9.99m. To have 10 or 10.3m uis the same for nost marinas. You need to be below 10 meters.

For instance, the Jeanneau 349 (HL 9.97m) Oceanis 35 (HL 9.98m), Hanse 348 (9.99m), Bavaria 34 (HL 9.75 m), Dufour 360 (HL 9.99) are all in the same bag in what regards that.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:43   #12

Many marinas here go by slip size. You may have a 30 ft slip or a 50 foot slip. Even if your boat is smaller, say a 26 ft in a 30 ft slip, you still pay for 30 ft.
I doubt .12 meters is detectable by the marina , but they may go by the paperwork so it's possible...
Here it includes the anchor roller etc also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:47   #13

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

We are 11.99m LWL and 12.35m LOA so sit either side of the cliff edge when it comes to prices. Some places accept 12m others will only go on what the registration documents say. Although in general if you tell them 12m they will accept that. If they don't then you just have to shrug and accept it gracefully.

In general in the Adriatic the big jump is from 12m and you will generally find that the bracket is 10-12m. Again it can vary locally so never assume anything and never try to lie to officials.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:51   #14

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefnieman View Post
Hi, Normally it goes from 10 directly to 12 meters. So say its 10 meters and talk to the Dutch harbour masters, they are the nicest. there are may in the med.

Almerimar, la Gomera (Can. islands) and many more.

stef the Dutchman

No seriously: In the Med its 10 or 12m in my experience.

happy sailing in your future westerly (nice boats)
My custom steel cutter's length on deck is 11.99 m thanks to tax reasons that prevailed in Canada when it was designed and built. Only with the bowsprit counted is it 12.49m/41' 10" LOA. The bowsprit is not customarily counted and a good thing, too.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:57   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I agree with Pollux. The LOA may be one thing but the REGISTERED length on your registration doc maybe less since it is the registered hull length not the LOA. I give you an example. My boat has "Jeanneau 43" in big letter/numbers on the side. 43ft is actually 13.1 metres but i have rarely been charged 13.1 metres. Most often 13 metres but about 50% of the time i can get the 12-12.99 metre rate since my official (UK Part 1, not SSR) registration doc says "12.85 metres".

There will be the occasional kind guy such as when i said "13 metres" he said he was feeling happy that day and replied "OK, was that 12 metres you said?" (Croatia 2017).....

Frankly, in proportion to the total costs of running a boat and all the upgrades/repairs, i do not put this subject at the top of the list. You might save enough for a few beers occasionally.
Andrew
"Genial Bee"

Tags
loa