Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 20:04   #1

Looking to buy starter boat

I'm looking to buy my first boat to start day sailing/weekend cruising. I have found a decent 26ft Laguna, nothing fancy for $1800. Is a survey necessary? I would still like to insure it, at least for liability. Any recommendations on how to proceed?
Lailaswhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 20:23   #2

Re: Looking to buy starter boat

I would not survey an $1800 boat, but I would find an experienced boat owner or two to go look at it with you.

For insurance you cannot beat BoatUS IMHO. They are not always the cheapest, but you can trust them.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 21:00   #3

Boat: csy 37

like raindog says - a survey may cost $250 - $500. better to have some boating friends look it over for you. use the survey money to buy a new automatic bilge pump and some serious anchoring gear....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 21:19   #4

Thanks for the info. I thought the survey was a bit much, but my concern is the inventory after Sandy. You just never know what the boat went through during the storm. Any tips on what damages to look for? Aside from the regular, I'm curious what I should look for in terms of storm damage? (And I don't mean the obvious, I mean the little things a noob like me would overlook)
Old 01-03-2013, 21:42   #5

I would recommend: Inspecting the Aging Sailboat (The International Marine Sailboat Library): Don Casey: 0639785803447: Amazon.com: Books

Well worth the money. The big things you want to look far are the things that will cost you big money:

1) make sure the sails are serviceable
2) make sure the outboard runs. might get it check out by the outboard shop.
3) check the rudder to look for signs of delamination
4) check the chainplates and where they attach to check for signs of leaking and damage to the wood near where they attach.
5) check the bulkheads where they attach to the hull for signs of delamination or movement
6) step on every square foot of the deck looking for soft spots
7) check the hull for signs of delamination by tapping with a screwdriver handle (you can learn how online)
8) check the mast carefully for signs of metal fatigue or obvious major problems. If you cannot drop the mast, bring binoculars to look at it.

These are all the really expensive things I can think of.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 15:32   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Some homeowner's insurance policy will cover small boats.
Check for soft plywood bulkheads at the base where freshwater might have been sitting if that hasn't been mention before. That's a sign of dry rot and will effect the integrety of the hull where they are attached.
Good luck.
Old 02-03-2013, 15:54   #7

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Look for hull cracks...Left to Right or side to side cracks along the hull...boat not worth buying; good for a wrecking ball. Up to Down cracks...hull is fixable, however if the keel is cracked don't buy the boat. Look at the mast...do you see repaired/filled "vacant drilled holes"?...this could cause structural damage to the mast...something to avoid. There is much much more to examine, prior to signing on the dotted line. Do not rush into buying! Have several sailors, from a club, look over the boat; it is worth it to treat them to sandwiches for their inspection. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 17:47   #8

Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't feel so isolated in the process now. Good third party opinions with no bias is hard to get!!

I'm hoping that some of my surfboard experience is going to help in determining soft spots and weaknesses. I'm intending on looking at the surface of the hull as one large surfboard. And am going to look for dings and dents the way I would look for in buying a used surfboard. Am I wrong in doing this?

While I am going to try to bring a friend along for the inspection, the truth is that it is March and not many of my sailing friends are as gung-ho about taking a six hour round trip for a boat as I am. Especially, if it means no sailing.

The boat is at a pretty big marina, so I am assuming that I can find someone local to the marina, my second option...

Wish me luck and keep the info coming, the more knowledge the better,
Old 02-03-2013, 18:00   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Allow me to offer a divergent opinion. You've been told that it's not economically feasible to spend money surveying a cheap boat. While this may be true in terms of the economics of investment, a different analysis to consider is whether the money spent on a survey is worth your peace of mind and/or safety.

A lifetime of windsurfer experience isn't going to tell you whether those rusty keel bolts need to be replaced. And if those keel bolts let go the first time you're ten miles offshore, you could find yourself wishing you'd spent the $250 on a survey.

A good surveyor will give you an idea of what needs to be done to bring the boat up to spec. Do you need to replace the standing rigging? Are the chainplates sound? Is that soft spot in the deck a serious problem?
Old 02-03-2013, 18:07   #10

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lailaswhisper View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't feel so isolated in the process now. Good third party opinions with no bias is hard to get!!

I'm hoping that some of my surfboard experience is going to help in determining soft spots and weaknesses. I'm intending on looking at the surface of the hull as one large surfboard. And am going to look for dings and dents the way I would look for in buying a used surfboard. Am I wrong in doing this?

While I am going to try to bring a friend along for the inspection, the truth is that it is March and not many of my sailing friends are as gung-ho about taking a six hour round trip for a boat as I am. Especially, if it means no sailing.

The boat is at a pretty big marina, so I am assuming that I can find someone local to the marina, my second option...

Wish me luck and keep the info coming, the more knowledge the better,
One thing that always amazes me about threads like this is that no newb who is looking at a boat ever says where they are- it would seem to me that with all the members here that someone might be close that would say ' Hey I'm not doing anything Sunday- I can meet you there and offer some insight'- maybe it's being worried somone will 'steal' your find?
RicknSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 18:19   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Looking to buy starter boat

Gotta go with Bash there..
At the worst you lose $500max if its a loada crap.. but save $1300..
At best you'll find out whats wrong with her and the order/priority in which to get them sorted and maybe even something useful if you walk around the boat with him and look and learn.. use the time your paying for and next time you can do your own..
If you tell him he'll stop at the 1st serious problem, explain, and ask if you wish to continue... that could cut the cost if its an elephant

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 21:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicknSue View Post

One thing that always amazes me about threads like this is that no newb who is looking at a boat ever says where they are- it would seem to me that with all the members here that someone might be close that would say ' Hey I'm not doing anything Sunday- I can meet you there and offer some insight'- maybe it's being worried somone will 'steal' your find?
Yes, I am worried that someone more knowledgeable will sweep this up while I do my research. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row, mooring, insurance, surveyor and the overall question whether this is a smart move at all? I'm new at all this, so I want to give myself as much time as possible.

If it's a lemon, it'll be around for a while and I can take my time discovering if it is indeed a lemon, but if it's a steal and I advertise it, it's going to be sold quicker than I get get my act together.

But I am not adverse to making sailing friends, so far the sake of transparency I live in Brooklyn, NY...