Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2024, 03:55   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Misil II
Looking to sail around the world

Hello and sorry for the lengthy post.

First-time poster here, looking for a good forum to help with our mission to get on the seas in the next 1.5 to 3 years with my partner and our 13-month-old.

It’s been a vision of ours for a while, and recent events made us think, "Screw it, let’s bloody do it!"

My partner has more practical sailing experience, having been around boats and crossing the Atlantic as crew for a project. I’ve really gotten into sailing since we inherited a little 7.3m mono in the Stockholm archipelago years ago. Needless to say, I have a lot to learn officially (which I’m working on now), but I believe you really learn by doing.

We are currently in the initial stages, considering how much we need to save, the various ways we can have some passive income while sailing (e.g., renting our house), and the big questions of what boat to buy and how much it will cost. As a family (and potentially growing), we are looking at catamarans for their stability and layout when anchored.

Realistically, we won't be selling all our assets to buy a 200K+ boat, so we are likely looking at around £70K or £100-120K GBP if we really push it, excluding refit costs. The absolute minimum length would be 37 feet, but 41-44 feet looks more spacious, though this will increase annual costs, right?

So, a load of initial questions, and if you can help with any of them, that would be great.

The Boat?

On the lower end, I keep coming back to the Prout Elite 37, mainly for economical reasons, as I’ve seen a few at £70K. I know there are a few reasons not to get this cat, but what are some good reasons if the higher-end cats are out of reach?

Fountaine Pajot’s Athena 38 or Antigua 37 seem to come up on the higher end. Other than the different layouts and weight, what are the key differences between these boats? Does anyone have a link to the key differences in the FP range?

Other boats I’m considering are listed below, but if there are any others people can suggest, please help me out. P.S. I am UK-based, so looking for boats in Europe, although the US might be an option when we are ready.

If I had to shift a bit more from comfort to performance, I would, maybe. Let’s see

Manta 38
Alliaura Privilege 37
Dean 400, 440, 441
Fountaine Pajot Athena 38
Fountaine Pajot Antigua 37
PDQ Mark III LRC
PDQ Capella 36
Solaris Sunrise 36
Solaris Sunstar 36

Refits?

I expect massive variations in refit costs, but for example, on this boat, what do you think the ballpark costs would be, and how much time would you need if working on it daily? - https://uk.boats.com/sailing-boats/1...na-38-9242374/

I’ve heard that if you get a used boat, you should generally change the sails (unless they are X years old?). True or false?

What’s an acceptable amount of engine run time before you should probably consider major work or replacement?

If anyone has a complete list of big-ticket items that are the first things to look for when buying a boat, that would be great. Even better if you have costs from your own experience. For example:

Sails
Rigging
Engine

Tools & Equipment

I am currently putting together an Excel sheet of all the bits I might want or need on board, from main electronics (GPS plotter, rudder angle) to hand tools (drills, hole cutters, soldering gun, etc.) to fun things (eFoil board, anyone? ). If anyone has a list or a link to something similar, that would be great? . I want to cost things out and get ideas if items need buying or replacing.

Many more questions to come as I’m just starting this journey, so please go easy on me

Cheers,
E
BobJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2024, 05:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Re: Looking to sail around the world

Hi, BobJenga, and to the forum!

I recommend adding your location to your user profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJenga View Post
I’ve heard that if you get a used boat, you should generally change the sails (unless they are X years old?). True or false?
That will depend on the boat. If the sails are old but still "good enough", you can get some experience with the boat, flushing out other important problems, before spending $ on new sails.

Quote:
What’s an acceptable amount of engine run time before you should probably consider major work or replacement?
The number of engine hours will be less important than how well the engine was maintained. While getting your pre-purchase survey, you can get an additional marine engine survey.

Quote:
If anyone has a complete list of big-ticket items that are the first things to look for when buying a boat, that would be great. Even better if you have costs from your own experience.
This is a great resource: Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection

Good luck with your preparations! You will find lots of good information on this forum by searching for discussions on specific topics. I like to go to Google and type something like "best catamaran site:cruisersforum.com".
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2024, 05:48   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Looking to sail around the world

I would invest in a new set of sails from a reputable sail maker then wrap and store them till the ones on the boat finally die, if that takes two years that's 2yrs inflation savings.

https://www.katamarans.com/owners-re...-37-snowgoose/

Chosen as #2 of the top nine cruising boats of all time by Cruising World Magazine, the Prout Snowgoose/Elite 37 is an “affordable” blue water catamaran. The words “affordable” and “Blue Water” are not an oxymoron with this excellent design. The fact that so many Prout Catamarans are successfully cruising the world speaks for itself.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 00:22   #4

Slow replying sorry.

Yes makes sense about the sails, but it also depends on how long we intend, and financially, can be out but 1-2 years is the initial aim, but I am hoping longer, although dreams don't always align with reality.

I'd like to start looking at refit costs so would anyone recommend any good sail makers in the UK (or elsewhere depending on import costs) so I can get an idea of how much new ones will be say for the Snowgoose 37?

Thanks for that link @Joe, as our budget is a fine line it's a good idea to weed out the boats before we even think of paying £1.5k to get it surveyed and sea tested (if on dry stacks).

We actually went a saw a Snowgoose elite this weekend just to start getting an idea of space and although it does feel a bit dated inside I was pleasantly surprised and the cockpit feels good which is the most important thing really.

Still if anyone has any other cat suggestions (that do pop up in UK or Europe) which are under £130K and why that would be great?
Old 22-07-2024, 00:53   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Bob and Jenga, welcome aboard CF!

One of the problems that you all would have to solve as a couple with very small children aboard is who keeps watch when? and who takes care of the kids when things are uncomfortable.

If you both had been experienced sailors, had a boat before you had kids, the picture would be different. But honestly, the sea throws unexpected challenges at all of us, and sometimes we don't meet them very well, through lack of experience, and not having a clue how people managed these problems before hand.

In actual fact, a small mono might suit your needs better. Small cats get tossed about by seas that the lead min monos might just settle comfortably in. Cats vs. monos really take (imo) different skills, sailing wise.

Good luck with your choices, and your child care arrangements. I will only add that women soon get sick and tired of being nursemaids to both husband and kids.

Ann
Old 22-07-2024, 03:07   #6

Hey Ann

I do hope we can both take turns in sailing and watching bubs as we are both capable of doing both tasks thankfully, although needing more sailing experience for certain, but we do travel very well together and sailing around the Baltic islands keeps you on wits, that for sure. Still, I hear you, having a probably 3 year old by that time on board will be a challenge, but isnt that also why we do these things? I see being together as a family and working how to live aboard as a great experience and life adventure many might do not have the luxury of seeing.

Nevertheless we will make it work safely and any real crossing i.e Atlantic will be done with full preparations and probably another 2 adults on board with one having experience.

As for the mono/cat debate, we are very set (as of now) on a cat for so many reasons from having a lower draft, a minimal heel environment being a big one and the extra space. If it were for just day sailing 100% mono but to live and travel, we are aiming for a cat.
Old 23-07-2024, 15:20   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Okay.

Fwiw, some friends of ours who have four kids bought a retired charter mono in Europe, and sailed it back to Oz from there. They hired a nanny for the trip, so that the nanny managed the young ones, and they had the pleasure of sailing the new-to-them boat. They were experienced sailors, who accomplished an engine rebuild in the water in Noumea one year.

Ann

Tags
round the world, sail