Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2016, 22:44   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Mexico cruising $1k/mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ok am now in mazatlan., i still live on less than 1500 usd monthly, inclusive of repairs and marina and catfood and me food and parts.
I wanna know what the Bubba to Zee food ratio is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
The only thing worse than dying poor is dying rich.
So uncool ... With his post right above your's and all...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 11:56   #77
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

bubba is about 200 usd per month, food, litter, new stuff, toys, fish all included
air cond was 140 usd.... so 70 bux bubba..mas o menos....... he has to work it off, as guard.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 20:53   #78

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Zee
Give me tour local favorites for PV area. I know Bucerias but I had street tacos in PV for 9 pesos I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 21:23   #79
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
Zee
Give me tour local favorites for PV area. I know Bucerias but I had street tacos in PV for 9 pesos I think.

a friend drove us to the industrial zone in pv for 6 peso tacos on the street. muy rico!!
i have no earthly clue exactly where but was close to an electrical shop for rebuilding starters and alternators.
la cruz has good places. 10 peso tacos on the street, muy rico. just down the hill from philos.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 21:53   #80

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Good Advise
Many people stress about how much money they have.
Sometimes it is a matter of where and how you live. I live in Mexico like a Queen. I can come back, visit family, road trip anytime.
Go Now!
Don't let your money out live you.

Geeee.no kidding...I was just reading another thread...somebody looking for a financial advisor to make sure all their investments are working for them.
Sterling Hayden said..."I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone".
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 21:57   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Geeee.no kidding...I was just reading another thread...somebody looking for a financial advisor to make sure all their investments are working for them.
Sterling Hayden said..."I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone".

The financial advisors want to keep you investing as that is where they make money not you.
I didn't understand why they could not give me my rate of return.

After I did the calculation I finally figured out I did not have a rate of return, I was loosing money!

Old 02-08-2016, 22:04   #82

You Can Do It Bubba!

Old 03-08-2016, 06:32   #83

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

The financial advisors want to keep you investing as that is where they make money not you.

After I did the calculation I finally figured out I did not have a rate of return, I was loosing money!

(...)
"... they make money not you ..."

Too bad you had bad experience.

But I would not make a general, negative statement about advisors out of it. Off course, some are crooks, but the majority are professional people trying to do their best so that your investment grows.

Negative rates of return are to be expected with some investments in some periods. And even marginally positive rates of return from less volatile investments (e.g. govt bonds) can quickly turn against you (and against your advisor), should the market (e.g. due to Fed rates adjustment) move 'against' your investment.

Off course, your advisor does have a stomach and his own life and is doing this for money, hence their fees that further reduce your return.

And why am I saying all this. Well. My point is that investment advisors are like anti-fouling paint and varnish - desirable and protecting your long term investment BUT they too come at a cost. So you can opt for bare wood and scrub the bottom now and then and keep on cruising just like anybody out there.

Employing an investment advisor is an option and brings its associated costs. And so it is not a good option for everybody.

Look at the size of your investments, the type of your portfolio, your investment goals and your lifestyle, then decide whether you should go for 401K, manage your own portfolio by yourself OR hire a pro.

Horses for the courses. I can vouch for all my friends who are still in the business they are serious people, educated and very knowledgeable, trying very hard to generate the best returns they can for their clients. This much being said, they cannot beat the market and when they get locked in volatile markets they just grind their teeth and hope for the best (no suicides this far, but pretty darn close to one too).

Bueno. My 2 euro cents. Maybe in the US the picture is different.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:53   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

For those of us that lived a little beneath their means so that we could save a little nest egg, but do NOT want to obsess about money, watching their investments, moving it around and generally "playing" with it all the time, the idea is you pay someone else to do that.
I have one with the idea that it frees me from obsessing about money, something I do not want to do.

Yes there are more Bernie Madoof's out there, all I know to do was ask the advice of someone I trusted well, and yes, it's a crap shoot, but if your being promised things that sound just too good to be true, run.

Like Real Estate, they way it was, I stayed out of it, too good to be true, and the .com thing, I bowed out when I found out the URL realestate,com was valued higher than Delta Airlines, way too good to be true.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:01   #85

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:

That's the truth! My retirement guy looses his mind every time I see him. He keeps trying to convince me people don't walk away in their early and mid 40's. He's never been on a sailboat but is convinced no one can sail and live on 2-3k per month. Than I tell him my plan is 1000-1500 he just shakes his head at me. And I couldn't agree more with Rich from SV Third day on his posts about the difference between "is it possible" vs. "this is how we do it"
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:06   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just don't forget that most swallow the anchor eventually, there is often a life after cruising.
A very good way to allow for life after cruising, is to be frugal when you do cruise. In truth I could not retire if I were to stay on land, cruising will I hope be what allows me to retire next year as opposed to working for several more years
Old 03-08-2016, 07:27   #87
cruiser

Reading about what you guys and gals think is cheap living in Mexico, and I have to be so greatful that we decided to make a left turn into the Mediterranean.

Honestly, we live on less than 15 euros per day, but don't have to exist on cheap Mexican food and place out TP in a stinky bucket. I don't mind Mexico or the Mexican people, but hands down.... The eastern Med is the spot. Much cheaper, thousands of free well-sheltered anchorages and far better food.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:27   #88
CLOD

Boat: none

I think we have drifted off thread, but:

I feel it is good to keep in mind that financial advisors real goal is to keep you investing. It isn't really to make you money other than they need to do this to a degree in order for their to accomplish their goal.

I met with one who manages the company my wife works for pension fund. He was pretty old so I asked him if he was so good at managing money why hadn't he retired yet. Then I asked why I should pay him to put my money into some fund managed by someone else when I could do that myself. Those slowed him down, but he still was able to put together a plan that allowed him to get his hands on all of my money in a way that would keep me confused.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:50   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Their goal is simple, make money, but to make them money, I have to make money, cause their money is a share of what I make.
Then of course, how much risk can or will you accept? My answer is not a whole lot, so that of course impacts how much I/ we make, lately it hasn't been much.

Yes, it's thread drift, they usually either drift, or die, but it's sort of on topic cause you have to have the money to cruise even if frugally, one man's fortune is another's petty cash.

But, if you have X amount of money and want to cruise, what do you do with it? Put it in a bank, may as well put in under the mattress, buy gold and other precious metals? Rental property?
Many threads on this, seems there is no right answer, just have to pick what your comfortable with and hope for the best.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:02   #90

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Reading about what you guys and gals think is cheap living in Mexico, and I have to be so greatful that we decided to make a left turn into the Mediterranean.

Honestly, we live on less than 15 euros per day, but don't have to exist on cheap Mexican food and place out TP in a stinky bucket. I don't mind Mexico or the Mexican people, but hands down.... The eastern Med is the spot. Much cheaper, thousands of free well-sheltered anchorages and far better food.
The TP in the bucket thing has scarred me for life. Over the last 50 years, they have slowly fixed their plumbing to the point their heads can handle TP with no problem yet the habit persist.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Mexico