Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2017, 07:50   #16

Re: More Canadian Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As for bringing the boat up the West Coast, don’t even think about it if you’re not prepared to go via Hawaii. That coast has no safe harbours (without bars) between San Francisco and Vancouver Island, so should be treated as an offshore passage. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I beg to differ. I did this trip in the summer of 2016.

I've posted our log here:

Travels with Aquavite: San Francsico Bay to British Columbia 2016
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 08:25   #17

The sales tax in WA will be 8-8.3% if you buy there and keep it there, or if you buy in a state with no tax and return it to Washington.. You could moor the boat somewhere like Point Roberts close to the border.
Another option is buy where you want, and sell it when returned from cruising. I believe most states dont charge a tax for the boat to be in the state and up for sale with a broker as it would discourage business. But you need to research the specific state. One boat I bought in Annapolis, left after a few months for FLorida, left Fl after a few months and sailed the Caribe. Returned to FL and put the boat for sale for 1.5 years.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 12:22   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Another consideration would be where the OP intends to sail and for how long. Going down to Hawaii means re-entering the US, and a Canadian flagged boat will need a cruising permit, which is valid for one year and then may or may not be renewed after exiting the US for 15(?) days. Trans-ceanic entries (Hawaii and then perhaps California?) may be viewed as entering and exiting and re-entering the country, each entry being another potential issue.

So whether to keep the boat US-documented, or US state registered, could depend on the longer plans. Also, if the "girlfriend" is the owner of record, it IS HER BOAT. Something else to be considered in a larger context. (For instance, if a tax/collection agency came after her, the boat could be seized.) Something to be considered and planned for.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 14:07   #19

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Very interesting reading and great info for the OP. Day sailing up the coast is certainly an option.

But I still stand by my “no all weather harbours” - by your own description none of the places you stopped prior to Neah Bay would have been suitable in any sort of moderate or worse weather. So a day sail towards a weather closed bar/harbour suddenly becomes an overnight sail on a lee shore. Not something for someone inexperienced.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 16:18   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Great info thanks for sharing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Not true at all for a Canadian boat.. It matters not where the transaction occured, taxes are due when the boat enters Canadian waters (if Canadian registered).. Sailing it offshore with a newspaper will gain you ZERO here!

Also great info thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
I imported my boat from the US. Contact Marine Documentation Services in Anacortes and they'll help you with the registration.

Great tip thanks

Thank you everyone for all the help
Download7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 16:20   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
So whether to keep the boat US-documented, or US state registered, could depend on the longer plans. Also, if the "girlfriend" is the owner of record, it IS HER BOAT. Something else to be considered in a larger context. (For instance, if a tax/collection agency came after her, the boat could be seized.) Something to be considered and planned for.
Definitely leaning away from this idea now.

I've started looking at cheaper boats just to leave more headroom for all these extra fees.
Old 16-11-2017, 16:34   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
The 10% only applies if you register it in California. Oregon has no sales tax and you can register it there. I don't know what the WA state tax is but it should be easy to find with a google search. I live in CA. I bought a boat in Canada and the plan was to sail it south and turn left at the canal. I registered it in MT. I met all the requirements. I did not have to pay $20k in taxes. I'm not sure it was worth it. We sailed as far North as Desolation Sound and as far south as La Paz. The hassle factor was tremendous.
How could you say saving 20,000$ wasn't worth the hassle???
Old 16-11-2017, 16:55   #23

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

I'm a dual US/Canadian citizen. I have imported several boats from Washington, and California.

1. You get credit for any taxes you pay where you buy the boat, against any Canadian taxes. If the boat will eventually be in BC, you will, sooner or later, pay sales tax. Sales tax is based on the value stated in the bill of sale.

If you import a boat made outside of the US or Canada, be prepared to pay an additional 9.6% duty on the stated sale price. Period. Full stop. Unless the price is very low, this is a deal breaker.

I have heard stories of people who bought boats from private owners, and made separate bills of sale for the sails, and the hull with engine. The wording was fuzzy, so one bill of sale was presented at customs. (I would never suggest that a person do this)

If your friend hasn't filed taxes, or checked in with the IRS, I suggest that she might lose a lot of stress if she finds out her status. In most cases, Canadian taxes are higher than US taxes, and you get credit for what you paid in Canada, so you have no back taxes owing. There is a very good CA on Saltspring Island who specializes in this stuff. Start there, no risk. I think you will find that you owe no taxes and fees, and that you can file a simple report once a year if you have over $10,000 in a Canadian bank. They're not after your savings or your home.

Feel free to email and arrange a phone chat. Fred
waterrat@island.net
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 17:30   #24

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

FWIW there are hundreds of Canadian flagged boats on lake Champlain ny with Canadian registration numbers that never leave the lake. Those for sale typically state Canadian duty not paid. Some say not for sale in USA. So legal or not they all seem to avoid some sort of taxation
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 18:06   #25

I have a hard time believing it's cheaper to buy in the US + taxes / hassle then buying in canada? maybe if the dollar goes on par again? but I haven't been looking.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 18:15   #26

Here in BC, it's about population/number of boats on the market.

Puget Sound has more boats, and prices are similar. even after the dollar conversion. Sales tax is about the same, in the end. That's for boats made in the US or Canada.

In BC, or Washington, there are bargains to be had, if you know what you're looking at, especially this time of year.

Puget Sound to Vancouver or Victoria is not much different from Vancouver to Victoria, or Sunshine Coast to Victoria.

Mantra for bargain boat hunters:

Sometimes Free is Not Cheap Enough!
Old 17-11-2017, 12:01   #27

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Download7 View Post
How could you say saving 20,000$ wasn't worth the hassle???
I had to move the boat from Canada to Washington State a few times then I had to move it from Washington to Oregon. While yes I did save $20k it also cost me a lot in transportation costs. So while I saved $20k I probably spent $10k travelling back and forth. I also had to hire an attorney to make sure taht I had done all of the paperwork correctly. I think that was another $4k. So the savings was $6k and a fair amount of stress.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 12:15   #28

Boat: None yet

Does the new CETA agreement b/n Canada and the EU change the duty payable for a European built boat? I did a google search and checked the CRA site but couldn't find any specific information.

I found this on Delphia yachts page

Key destinations for Delphia’s yachts include the United States, Australia and Japan but in recent years the company has also been present in Canada. In each of these cases, transport and logistics costs are a major burden to business, often reaching tens of thousands of dollars. That is why any savings are crucial.

The ratification of the EU-Canada Comprehensive and Economic Trade Agreement, CETA, would eliminate all tariffs on yachts – presently as high as 9.5%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfislandfred View Post
I'm a dual US/Canadian citizen. I have imported several boats from Washington, and California.

1. You get credit for any taxes you pay where you buy the boat, against any Canadian taxes. If the boat will eventually be in BC, you will, sooner or later, pay sales tax. Sales tax is based on the value stated in the bill of sale.

If you import a boat made outside of the US or Canada, be prepared to pay an additional 9.6% duty on the stated sale price. Period. Full stop. Unless the price is very low, this is a deal breaker.

waterrat@island.net
fozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 13:07   #29

That would be good news for French and UK boats purchased in the US to import to Canada.

For Canadians, the new Trans Pacific Partnership might (or might not) take away the duty on boats from Taiwan or Hong Kong

Then again, we might lose the NAFTA exemption soon.
Old 17-11-2017, 13:41   #30

Boat: None yet

Idid some searching and came up with a tariff schedule. Sailboats are under 8903.91.

The following table is messed up, but the old MFN tariff (Most Favoured Nation) was 9.5%. The last column shows Preferential tariffs (CCCT to UAT) to be tariff free. This includes CEUT - CEUT Canada-European Union Tariff.

So it looks like sailboats of EU manufacture are now duty free. Like gasoline prices when crude oil prices drop, I don't expect imported yachts for sale in Canada to miraculously drop in value by 10%, but if importing one ourselves I suppose we would only be liable for HST/GST.

8903.91.00 - -Sailboats, with or without auxiliary motor 9.5% CCCT, LDCT, UST, MT,
MUST, CIAT, CT, CRT,
IT, NT, SLT, PT, COLT,
JT, PAT, HNT, KRT,
CEUT, UAT: Free
GPT: 5%
- - - - -With auxiliary motor:
11 - - - - - -Of a length not exceeding 9.2 m .................................................. ........ NMB
12 - - - - - -Of a length exceeding 9.2 m .................................................. .............. NMB
- - - - -Without auxiliary motor:
21 - - - - - -Of a length not exceeding 4 m .................................................. ........... NMB
22 - - - - - -Of a length exceeding 4 m but not exceeding 6.5 m............................ NMB
25 - - - - - -Of a length exceeding 6.5 m .................................................. .............. NMB

here is the link to the pdf-NOTE IT'S ALMOST 1600 PAGES LONG! Don't download on limited internet!

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com...2017-5-eng.pdf
fozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote