Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2010, 10:14   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
My Independence Day

Wellll,
yesterday I went and did it. I quit my job and I’m never going to work full time again. I’m 3 weeks away from my 60th BD and I don’t want to be working for someone else when that arrives.

At work they wanted to know why I was quitting, and I told them I needed to finish up the boat for the trip to the S. Pac. as well as detail up the house so I can get it on the market in another year and to sell off all the junk I’ve been collecting for 40 years, the wife’s too.

They think I’m nuts. Maybe so, but not as nuts as I would be staying around a high pressure job and trying to get stuff ready to go.

They said “Why don’t you hire someone to do the work and just keep working? So, I tells them “You pay me $30 an hour and you want me to hire someone for $60+ an hour to do work that I’m fully capable of doing myself, and then I would have to stay here another 40+ hours a week for who knows how long, plus the driving an hour each way, just to pay them off”. I loose $30 hr. vs. spend $60 hr. and I control the quality of work. And I'm not paying taxes on what I loose.

And, I don’t like getting up at 4:30 AM anymore. When I come home after work I fell like I’m going to fall a sleep on the freeway. I’ll never get cruising that way.

It seems my time has become more valuable then what employers are willing to pay. I either work and want longer to finish the boat and house or I quit and get them done and work part time or out of my garage (machine shop) until I qualify for the SS $. I have a nice little nest egg to work from and the wife wants to keep working until we make the final move even though she qualifies for SS next spring.

The only bills I have are taxes, slip, insurance, food, fuel and utilities, which I can reduce quite a bit since I don’t have a driving or eating schedule now. I was spending $100 a week just on gasoline. The wife seems to think her income can keep us at a brake even pace. If not, this winter I can round up some work for my own shop.

In the mean time I’ll get my new windlass installed and have a full summer worth of sailing to do before the final projects.

So, am I nuts?
Old 22-05-2010, 10:39   #2

Boat: Hunter 26
Most excellent

You're not nuts.
You will probably live longer.
And you will live out the best part of your life wondering, why isn't everyone doing this.
Congrats.
MABell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 10:40   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Yeah man...you are nuts...you've been getting up at 4:30?

Sounds like you've got a good plan. No one knows your finances and specific circumstances like you do, but it sure sounds like the way to get to the S.Pacific next year.
I'm with you on this and wish you all the luck......Your the man!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 11:09   #4
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
So, am I nuts?
We (those still slaves to our jobs) are nuts!

Good on ya Del! Say Hi to Lena from Lori and I. We wish you luck in all your adventures!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 11:15   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thanks Rick!

Still got the hat and wear it to all special (marine) events. Salesmen love to hit me up when they see it.
..........................._/)
Old 22-05-2010, 11:34   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
No, no, no. Being crazy is doing the same thing again and again and again and somehow expecting it to turn out different. That's what you've been doing!

Getting up at 4:30 only to slog it to "work" and then turning around just to do it all over again is what will put you in the grave, far too early and without having done your dream.

Although when we set out, it was with the intent that it would be for a long sabbatical and not "retirement", it was still one of the great experiences of my life. Casting the crap aside, focusing on the essentials, and not being possessed by the rat race.

One of the saddest experiences came after the economic crash and the realization that I would have to go back to work at least for a few years. The really sad part came when re-entering the US after months of continuous cruising. From not having seen a stop light, or even a car for that matter, to being plopped down in the middle of the Florida metropolis. From fresh grouper, conch and lobster, and homemade bread wrapped in paper, to strip malls, factory food, and god-only-knows what sort of preservatives. From friendly, smiling people dancing in the moonlight to scowls, car horns, and shoving grocery carts.

No, my friend, you are now on the course to sanity! I can't wait to rejoin you.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 11:39   #7

I kinda did the same thing when I sold by business at age 52. I needed a break from stressful work and my "keeping up with the Jones" type lifestyle, so I sold all my possessions, moved aboard my boat and went cruising. My health improved (no more Rolaids for lunch!), I lost 40 lbs., and got healthy and fit once again. It probably saved my life.

As my world slowed and I had time to reflect upon my life and my priorities, I came to realize that I really didn't like the person I'd become. So, when I cast off the dock lines to begin my cruise, I'd unknowingly given myself the opportunity create a whole new life for myself. This feeling of freedom is something that few of us ever get a chance to explore. I like who I've become.

I decided that if I ever were to go back to work again, it would not be for the money. Rather, I would choose jobs that I wanted to try. So far I've been a scuba instructor in the Bahamas, a hotel desk clerk in Florida, and a salesman in Georgia. I've lived aboard and ashore, got divorced, got re-married, and wouldn't trade a minute of the past 11 years.

Good luck on your journey!
Alan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 14:36   #8

"It seems my time has become more valuable then what employers are willing to pay."

I think you've done the right thing. You'll know soon enough, but the next few weeks will probably be the hardest as your routines are upset and new one have not been established.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 14:45   #9

You are not nuts. Nuts stay in ruts. (sounds like Dr. Seuss a little)

"Life ain't nothing but a poker game,
no two hands are quite the same,
and I never saw a winner
that didn't bet"

Wishing you a good journey - both in life and on the water.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 14:53   #10

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Damm it, another one's beaten me to it. Congratulations and best of luck!
Old 22-05-2010, 14:54   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day Del,
Back in '86 I took a year's leave, Ann sorta quit her job and off we went. Got as far as French Polynesia and ran outa money. Sailed back to SF, returned to work, telling all who would listen (including supervisors) that it was only until we got the kitty topped up. No one believed me, so in early '89 when we left again, the talk of "you're crazy" etc sounded up and down the halls. Right, crazy...

We've never looked back, never regretted our decisions. Had good times and some bad ones, but the choice to go cruising rather than stay in mainstream middle class America has continued to work for us. We're both in our seventies now, and are still enjoying the cruising life. The thought of becoming a dirt dweller again is not pleasant, though it may eventually have to happen, but meanwhile our crazyness doesn't look so bloody crazy after all!

It sounds to me like you have thought your situation through well, and with such a good attitude you'll make a good cruiser. Hang in there and good luck... hope to see ya out here soon.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Bayview, NSW, Oz
Old 22-05-2010, 15:08   #12

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Are you nuts??? Not a chance. This is probably the sanest thing you've done in a while. Good for you.

I'm planning on pulling the plug sometime between now and June 30 of 2011. It may be sooner, my company is dumping people left and right as the economy contracts. I'm tired of all the BS that goes on there, and the worst of it is the managers all telling me that my job is safe as long as I work hard and keep the numbers where they are supposed to be. No thanks, I'm getting ready to leave. I've sold my townhouse, going to move into an apartment for another year while I ditch stuff, and then its off to Europe and the Med. I'd like to sail the Pacific someday but it not that vital.

So congrats on telling them all to take this job and shovel it.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 15:17   #13

You're not nuts - they're just saying that cuz they're jealous.
Congratulations and Good Luck!
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 15:31   #14

Congratulations on your Independence Day, Del. Last time I worked full time for pay was 5 years ago. Quitting was about the second best thing I ever did, second only to building my boat.

I turn 50 this year, and we're working hard getting our house ready to rent, and selling all the crap we've accumulated, the plan is to be living aboard and full time cruising before the end of next month.

Go for it, and best of luck. Maybe we'll run into each other on some perfect beach in the South Pacific.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 15:47   #15

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
OMG!
You did it.

I still haven't the ability to cut ties yet.

Thought I could but didn't work out.

Maybe in a few years................

Best of luck.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote