Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2008, 20:03   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bus Driver-
Maybe you found a winner. When you check the policy, look to see how they define a "total loss". In my limited understanding, an insurer can define that pretty much as they please, and typically if the damage is over 50% of the value--they have the right to total it out. That percent will vary with the insurer. There are also some insurers who stick a weasel clause in their "agreed value" policies, stating that they will pay either the agreed value or the market value, whichever is less. Don't ask me how that is legal, I don't pretend to understand.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 20:10   #17

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Take a punt, life's a risk. Self insure
Old 06-04-2008, 01:30   #18

Boat: C&C 38'
Bus Driver, what happened? Keep us posted.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:44   #19

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
Offshore Risk Management 800-773-0105

They insure in Florida.

It's really tough to get insurance. I've got an older boat, but in great shape. Due to the assessed value I had to have an out of water survey before my policy went into effect. (loads of upgrades)

Not cheap. My E-40, to include the Bahamas, and Florida waters is $ 3,200 a year.

My boat will be paid off this year, then no bank requirement for insurance. I'm dropping named storm coverage and all the other garbage, and keeping liability, for marina requirements.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:57   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
Hi there,

I forgot about this thread. I did read all the fine print and decided to go with that policy!! National Interstate is the underwriter and they specialize in commercial fleets and recreational type vehicles. From what I understand they just opened up their market to Florida and they are offering a very competitive price. They have very few select brokers that are allowed to sell insurance in Florida and the one that I dealt with is Strickland Marine Insurance in South Carolina.

I was initially dealing with ISMS which I can’t say enough about their great service, but at the end of the day the price difference for the same thing was just too much.

Iannen—I also got a quote from offshore risk management, both them and ISMS use TL Dallas (overseas company) to inure boats in Florida (they also have a few other underwriters).

So in the end, for the same product I paid $1200 VS $2000. Actually I bumped up the Liability to 500 so the other quotes might even be higher than 2000. I don’t have Bahamas coverage yet but it’s only a $150 add-on.

To anyone looking for insurance in Florida!!!! It’s worth getting a quote from these guys and look it over for yourself www.stricklandmarineins.com 1-800-446-1862 (ask for a National Interstate Quote). I was very happy with the result.

I guess I will really find out how good the company is when it comes time for a claim.....
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote