Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 16:13   #46

Boat: Morgan 462
You know this really does sound like a great boat. You indicate you may not have enough saved to buy it yet. The boat market here in Europe is fairly weak right now. Also nobody expects up get what they are asking for their boat. Don't be afraid to make a lowball offer and make it subject to the survey. What this means, if accepted, is that, if surprises come up in the survey, you can 1) back out of the deal or2) renegotiate to a lower price. The survey is the key. You want a surveyor that has an eagle eye and plenty of experience. And you want to find him yourself. By that I mean you do not want to use the boat brokers 'top surveyor'. His interest and yours are not the same. You want the long 'to do' list so you know exactly what you will be needing to shell out your money for when the boat is yours, as well as the type of projects you might be involved in doing for yourself.
What I like about this boat is HR is a great boat, your boat is a proven blue water boat and she is loaded with equipment. You get
your best deal on equipment by buying a boat with the equipment you need already aboard (my opinion).
Lastly, I believe with all my heart, you should buy a boat that can be sailed now, or, at least, a couple of weeks after purchase. Big projects eventually wear you down and you get tired of watching other people going sailing. Sadly a boat that requires a lot of work is highly likely to never leave the dock. I own an older boat. She has cost us $$ to upgrade, fit out and maintain BUT, when I bought her, after a haulout for a bottom job and about 200 stainless steel hoseclamps, she was ready to go sailing.
Now we have sailed her 1/4 of the way around the world and have never regretted our purchase. The sailing life is a great one.
Good luck to you!
terra57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 14:27   #47

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Monsun 31
Re: Need Advice from Experienced Seagoers Regarding New Boat

Heya all just a minor update

Soo I got VERY busy for a while with work so I was unable to give the whole boating thing much time, but now that I got free time I went to see this Monsun for a second time.

The good thing is that it has rained A LOT over here these past few days. So it was a good time to give it a thorough peek to see if there were any leaks.

I also bought Don Casey's "Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintanance Manual" and gave the 30min boat survey a go.

I personally could not find any huge flaws O.o. Maybe the pictures can speak for themselves. Teak deck was gotten rid of. No leaks whatsoever. Full extras and tons more to be discovered. Hull has no blemishes, bumps or abrasions. Seacocks are all ok and not siezed. . .etc etc. Heck even the solar panel still works even tho it has no batteries.

My only "concern" right now is the rust thing at the bottom of the keel. Broker says its not a big deal and can be grinded out and filled. But I guess you guys can tell me better about that .

Btw sorry could not use the forum uploader it was crashing each time due to a security ticket? O.o

Thorbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 15:32   #48

I haven't got a clue what those first couple of pictures are. Is that the outside of the keel?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 17:52   #49

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Clicking on one picture loaded like 4 or 5 separte pages to my computer. Took a while too.

sucks.
Old 02-12-2011, 23:27   #50

Boat: Fisher, 31, 9,65M + Hallberg 33 Mistral
Hi Thorbad, I would not be too concerned with the rust on the keel, grind it down and paint/repair it as good as you can. You might want to make sure that the seacocks are working, replace zincs, check the stuffing box and cutless bearing, and ofcourse give the bottom anti fouling before launching. I would also require that the engine be started, this can be done by connecting a hose to the seawater inlet, you might have to fit some connectors to the tube, i suggest you make a semipermanent system so you easily can flush your coolingsystem later when docking in marina or near fresh water.
I went back and had a look at the page you previously posted, and again I was impressed with all the equipment listed, most of that are things I am in the process of buying/mounting on my H-R Mistral. Finally one last suggestion: Get the boat surveyed, that will give you a report with a list of recommendations and a market value estimate of the boat itself.
Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 00:47   #51

@denverd0n: Yes those are the outside of the keel.

@Therapy: Sorry about that, although it did not open so much pages for me :x

@Selene: Well the list on the website is nowhere near what really is on the boat. What I managed to see is spare zinc anodes, toolboxes, first aid kit, spares for toilet, spares for some other things (winches I think), new dinghy, spare battens, seacocks, varnish, paint, antifouling, brushes, more tools on deck lockers, CQR anchor, two more anchors, windvane autopilot thingy, ropes, spare sails. . .etc etc etc lol.

So you reckon I do not splash the boat as part of the survey/sea trial? As I was told that its antifouling is still good for another two seasons. . .
Old 03-12-2011, 07:34   #52

I am not too experienced on lifetime of antifouling, just that I am beeing told here that it looses effect when boat on land for longer periods. Supose its dependant on the type of paint. First picture pussels me, is that the exsaust from engine?
Old 12-03-2012, 20:48   #53

Long time i know. Got very busy (full time job ended up netting me 70hrs a week at a point. . . ) while the broker ended up spending about 3 months (yea...) talking to the owner of the HR Monsun to TRY and reach a deal.....

@Selene: Yes that was the exhaust thingy....

FINALLY.....Somewhat reached an initial agreement with the owner

Also did a Competent Crew RYA course and planning to do a Day Skipper course

For now the initial price we settled for is Eur21,000 (approx). Gonna meet with the owner this month to discuss more xD.

In the meantime I've been next to her about 6 times. I dunno when I am closeby it just calls and says "Stare at me".

IF we do reach a deal and sign an initial contract I will get it properly surveyed and start to do a proper inventory of the boat

Already have a little list of things to be done apart from a major cleaning session (and stowing away all the clutter) Like repairing that rusty area, replacing through hulls/seacocks, antifouling, varnish, paint. . . Check that equipment works...etc :P
Old 13-03-2012, 05:47   #54

Welcome back, and good luck with the project,hope it works out for you with the survey and possible seatrial.
Old 13-03-2012, 05:51   #55

Indeed

Hope no nasty surprises. I mean the boat does look solid but what do I know :P

The broker is being VERY helpful in guiding me and getting me all the necesary quotes and deals he can do. Hope its in both best interest ^^

Next week I will be meeting the owner as she'll be coming to Malta from Germany
Old 13-03-2012, 21:13   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorbad
Indeed

Hope no nasty surprises. I mean the boat does look solid but what do I know :P

The broker is being VERY helpful in guiding me and getting me all the necesary quotes and deals he can do. Hope its in both best interest ^^

Next week I will be meeting the owner as she'll be coming to Malta from Germany
Thorbad I went back and had a new look at the link/listing of the HR Boat. I just wanted to let you know that I think you are making a good deal with the latest price you quoted, given the electronic fittings and aditional equipment listed. Also noted that the deck is not listed as teak, but as GRP. One final advice, don't get carried away with things you like to do, first concentrate on the essential requirements listed by the surveyor.
Old 14-03-2012, 07:34   #57

Selene just want to let you know that the list on that site is nowhere near to the actual list. I think when the time comes that is the first thing I will do - proper inventory!

Well I asked a friend about the electronics, something along the lines of "does age has anything to do with navigation equipment?" He said "as long as it gives you a good position its ok". I have no problems with that

Might start a blog when the deal goes through with aditional pics and details of the preparation to splash it and keep a log on the adventures :P hehehe
Old 20-03-2012, 17:47   #58

Met with the owner today ^.^

At least now she fully understands what I meant by my current terms (secure deposit now, final payment in august, boat never leaves hard).

Also got to know that there is a brand new diesel stove somewhere inside + more sails and another dinghy O.o

Seriously were does the storage space crop up from on this boat?

They are going to be cleaning it a bit and polishing the topsides up this week. Will meet again next to the boat sometime soon to discuss some more. She seems to really enjoy telling me about their atlantic crossings, canal trips from the North Sea down to the med and how they once got stranded in the carribean with their old Volvo xD (hence why the Bukh).

First thing I might do is make a list of things onboard. Her son said "goodluck with the treasure hunt" while the she (the owner) advised that I need a notepad not a list lol. Going to be interesting to find out what is inside there.

Now I am really hoping that the pre-purchase survey doesnt show any nasty surprises. going to have it moisture tested as well just in case
Old 20-03-2012, 18:28   #59

Sounds great Thorbad, good luck with the notepad and the survey. Remember to lock her up, so you do not loose any of all that equipment/stuff, but remember its the boat your buying.
Old 24-03-2012, 18:43   #60

Small update. . . .

I got the keys of the boat

Cleanup operations have commenced

amongst other things I found a curious way how to switch on the batteries (two small metal angled screwdriver bits?), a NEW sextant!, diesel heater, two autopilots, mooring springs, a BIG pile of nautical charts, pilot books, more books, manuals, etc etc

Gna be a while to clear all up.

Launch should be sometime in August. Plenty of time to get all papers done (Needs to get deleted from German registry), survey and finish my day skipper RYA course .

In one of the lockers enough antifouling and varnish to last two seasons XD brand new cans. International Paints is the brand (I think).

Pantaneus will be the insurer. Somehow the 21,000 boat is valued at 70,000!! We couldn't believe the paper at first so the broker called the German office. After quoting policy number and stating that present owner is also within telephone reach they confirmed the ammount o.O

Is it usual for these boats to be valued higher than they are sold for by insurances?

Cheers