Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2017, 03:34   #1

Newby Question

Hi! Looking for some insight please....I'm new to boat life and looking for my first boat. When I find the right one I understand that it is important to have a survey done and a seatrial. I get that I have to pay for these things but does the seller get the survey too? Seems that if that is the case and please correct me if I am wrong then shouldn't that at least be a shared expense? And what exactly does a survey accomplish? is it like a house inspection but of the boat? Thanks in advance!
BamaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 03:41   #2

Re: Newby Question

Welcome to CF!

One who pays for the survey owns it. You are under no obligation to share it with the seller. It is however always helpful negotiating the price adjustments based on the survey results to share at least those portions with the seller if he/she is recalcitrant about the price adjustments. The survey is usually the buyer's expense and for the buyer's benefit so the seller has no duty or incentive to share the cost.

And yes it is a lot like a house inspection. And just as with house inspectors good and reasonably priced and readily available surveyors are a rare breed. As the saying goes - "out of cheap, good and fast - pick any two".
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 03:44   #3

Thanks so much for the quick response and information! Now it makes a lot more sense to me and I really appreciate it!
BamaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 04:27   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, BamaRN.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:46   #5

Boat: Sea Ray 340

I am looking for a reputable boat haulier from Cape Cod, Bourne, Ma to Daytona Halifax River Marina. Thought I had found one but there was a bbb complaint and think it could be a scam. Tooooo Good to be true at a fee of 3,250 USD Help!!
LadyCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 13:55   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCaroline View Post
I am looking for a reputable boat haulier from Cape Cod, Bourne, Ma to Daytona Halifax River Marina. Thought I had found one but there was a bbb complaint and think it could be a scam. Tooooo Good to be true at a fee of 3,250 USD Help!!
LC, you would be more likely to get some help if you started your own thread on this subject.

Jim
Old 02-03-2017, 14:00   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRN View Post
Hi! Looking for some insight please....I'm new to boat life and looking for my first boat. When I find the right one I understand that it is important to have a survey done and a seatrial. I get that I have to pay for these things but does the seller get the survey too? Seems that if that is the case and please correct me if I am wrong then shouldn't that at least be a shared expense? And what exactly does a survey accomplish? is it like a house inspection but of the boat? Thanks in advance!
OK here is an answer from a real Newby ( actually my last name). You pay for the survey you own it and yes it is like a home inspection. Lastly also get a mechanical survey. If it is a sailboat you may also want to get a rigging survey.