Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2020, 06:53   #1

Ogilvy Insurance out of Canada any good?

I saw someone on CF saying Dolphin Insurance out of British Columbia was a good option for Canadian cruisers so I contacted them for a quote and they came back a while later with something reasonable. Ogilvy Insurance is the underwriter. Anyone had any experience with either company?
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:54   #2

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35
Re: Ogilvy Insurance out of Canada any good?

No. But I have had very good service from Intact Insurance. There’s probably a broker in BC for them.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:33   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We are using dolphin insurance. They gave us a better rate and better coverage than any other place we contacted. Our plan is underwritten by Lloyd's of London. But they did mention they had several underwriters.
So far they have been easy to deal with, easy to get info from. My only complaint is the zone and dates for hurricane season (sailing east coast/bahamas) are more restrictive than what other boaters seem to have
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 13:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We are using dolphin insurance. They gave us a better rate and better coverage than any other place we contacted. Our plan is underwritten by Lloyd's of London. But they did mention they had several underwriters.
So far they have been easy to deal with, easy to get info from. My only complaint is the zone and dates for hurricane season (sailing east coast/bahamas) are more restrictive than what other boaters seem to have
That's great to hear. I guess if they weren't legit they probably wouldn't be so restrictive. This is my hope, at least. Where do you leave your boat during hurricane season?

Also, are you really in Edmonton? Did you have to register your boat as being from Alberta? I'm inclined to pick a BC port of registry so as to avoid inevitable double takes and jokes, haha. I'm based out of Calgary.
Old 07-06-2020, 13:19   #5

Do you travel offshore? Out of country?

Tags
Canada, insurance