Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 00:57   #61

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Indeed! Look for a center cockpit boat with some grass and a fire hydrant on the afterdeck... that's the ticket!

Jim
One time I believe it was in the Carolinas I saw a boat with what I thought was wheatgrass for juicing growing in a large tray on deck. turned out it was for the dog
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:28   #62
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser
Re: Only Six Months -- Feeling Cramped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Indeed! Look for a center cockpit boat with some grass and a fire hydrant on the afterdeck... that's the ticket!

Jim
In other words.. a CC Ketch in need of TLC?
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 13:10   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny View Post
Thanks Ex-Calif
Ya we took his parents for 10 days, we're we sailed 3 of ot. It was a late Christmas visit, in April, so more an eastern visit.

Btw you can buy the recipe soon on our blog page
Anyway back on track after the boys drifted the thread little, have you been to Chicago? This is likely or sale or the same price you paid for the Centaur in UK.

Contest 31 on CL... - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 13:30   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
One time I believe it was in the Carolinas I saw a boat with what I thought was wheatgrass for juicing growing in a large tray on deck. turned out it was for the dog

That, and wheat grass for the in-laws.

socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 13:35   #65

To the OP, I gotta hand it to you, the two of you have done what most people will never do, and did it with a boat that most people would not have attempted it in! Kudos to you!

Everyone has their own comfort level, mine is certainly far different, that's for sure! I don't have any experience with any particular boats, but I hope you get to look at a wide variety of them and find something that just knocks your socks off!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 14:19   #66
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Does Boat Size Matter for Happy Cruising?
It didn't for us. We spend 2 years with a Pearson 365 Ketch for our family of 4 and then we upgraded to a Hudson Force 50. The upgrade wasn't because we felt cramped or wanted more room while cruising, but because we wanted to live aboard when we came back to the US. Nothing really changed for us, other than people anchoring further away from us... But in terms of cruising, junk we had room for...we had just as much fun on the 36fter as we did cruising the 50ft-er.

No we could NOT live aboard on a 36ft-er...which I think goes to make a point that Living aboard at the dock is a totally different experience on a boat than Cruising! We could go back to our 36ft-er or cruising and be happy as clams in the sand tomorrow.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 17:55   #67

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

I'm all for a CC ketch, and that's exactly what we are looking for. I'm hoping to get the CC that has a solid hull, rigging, engine, and needs just the interior work or things we can do in time. I enjoy that the wind turbine, and radar can be mounted up out of the way, and the added sailing configs. Also I saw a few skeg keel ketch rigs that look nice and strong.

To clear it up, we are going to Live on Board, and Cruise. It was great to start on a 26', and I love the boat, but as said. I would enjoy, and I feel I've earned a bit of luxury.

Sorry for the delayed response, we were out sailing and we are recovery. We were on the ass end of Hurricane Arthur, when it was Tropical Storm Arthur. From Nassau to Freeport. Bahamas. Good times. Glad its going north, weather is great here now. Little warm, but we got beer in the fridge.
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 18:56   #68

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Dear BB and Finny... hats off to you both for doing a crossing as your first shot at cruising. You are both to be congratulated on your accomplishment. Finny, you must be a fine lady to support Brandon as you do and Brandon, you have a keeper, Mate... there are few who would stick by you once they saw land again. I know this from experience! About your bigger boat... every foot longer will be right in the center and give you so much more room you will be bouncing off the bulkheads! Folks with experience on CF like Boatman 61 and the Cates are wealth of good info. You are in the land of broken dreams where you should be able to pick up a solid vessel that would suit you for a resonable price. I'm retired from the delivery business so have driven my share of boats and would be happy to give you my thoughts. If you don't feel confident about your own ability to 'suss out the good, bad and ugly about a prospective purchase, CF is a good starting point for getting opinions on your prospective purchase. Additionally, if the boat is lying in an area you can't get to, many times you will find a CF member who can check it out for you.
I wish you both much success in your search and welcome to CF... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 20:34   #69
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciarob View Post
Rob and I have lived on board our Sadler 25 since 1999. We've sailed her from the UK to the Azores, then to Gib, through the Med, into the Black Sea, down the Red Sea, then up to Dubai, after a year in Dubai we sailed to India, along the coast to Sri Lanka, then across the Bay of Bengal to Phuket. We took 30 days beating fro 1100 miles to reach Phuket.

Rob would love a bigger boat (he is 6'4"), but we really can't afford one and our little Bluet does every thing we need. Since we took the engine out, along with the sail drive she shows a nice turn of speed (less drag) we also invested in a new Code Zero sail which is 185%, we haven't tried it yet, but am looking forward to sailing in the light airs we get here.

We added 2 water tanks in the old engine space which means we now carry about 30 gallons (135 lts) and use the rest of the space for food storage and batteries.

We also have a 5hp o/b with a long shaft, which we use mainly for entering harbours and manouvering around anchorages. We only carry about 20lts of fuel anyway.

Have also added a new crew member, Mouse our cat. She has only ever lived on board and, even tho we have been in a marina for a couple of months doing essential work, has not gone ashore.

Small boats rock!
That is an impressive record of travel in a small boat as a couple!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 10:11   #70

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

hello,
i am thinking of sailing thru red sea to the med from dubai, i wish if you can advise me on the pirates situation.
thank you
lootah

Sent from my LG-D410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-09-2014, 10:32   #71

Give you a lot of credit for doing all that on a 26', I'm sure I would have killed someone if I lived on that size boat.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 10:42   #72

Boat: a sailing boat

Yeah. It is all up to what one likes.

We are 11 years out now in a 26 fter and I do not lack space. Much as I can see a bigger boat could be a safer and better passage maker. A bigger boat could also take us places we can't/won't make in this one.

By all means, if one finds their boat is too small, they should think again, then get the bigger one.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 10:48   #73

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

We have thought, and we have decided to stay on the 26'. Although I do not see us crossing oceans in the future on this boat. We may go across the Gulf, but it is a coastal cruiser for a reason. Its not a bad boat for being able to resupply regularly, but definitely not a passage maker.
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 12:56   #74

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowers2004 View Post
We have thought, and we have decided to stay on the 26'. Although I do not see us crossing oceans in the future on this boat. We may go across the Gulf, but it is a coastal cruiser for a reason. Its not a bad boat for being able to resupply regularly, but definitely not a passage maker.
Good on ya! Seems like a well thought out choice.

Ann
Old 28-09-2014, 14:19   #75

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowers2004 View Post
So here we are, six months later. Well technically almost a year from initial purchase, but six months full time live aboard/cruisers.

We bought a Westerly Centaur 26' Bilge Keel in UK, and sailed it to the current location, Bahamas.

We are now more experience, more confident, and not completely broke. Although we've hit 35k Complete investment up to this point
I have to ask. How can you spend $35k on a 26' Centaur? for that kind of money you should have something in the 30+ foot category, at least.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ramp