Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 18:51   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Correct, it was done last year for the present owner when he was buying it. Yes, my boat had a recent survey which I saw before I got it, wes very good too!

Again, some great input from a wide range of knowlege, Many Thanks!

I think the overall picture is 'buy it very cheap if you can and be prepared for a lot of work'. Overall then, I think i'll give it a miss, the fact that it's not been built to full factory specs is the worst thing for me, just a bit too suspect.
I think that's a wise decision if only because it's so far away and that makes proper inspection and sea trials and negotiations etc all that more difficult and expensive. And you'd need a good inspection to verify its current condition compared with the picture painted in the year-old survey. So on balance I'd agree that the costs are too hard to gauge to make this a sensible buy. There'll be plenty of boats nearby over time that you can choose from.

But that aside, I am a bit amazed by many postings to the effect: "the boat is broke, walk away". Reminds me of a cartoon, Zits I think, where a broken tail light prompts junior to suggest that they buy a new car. Senior is of course stunned.

Whether that boat would suit the OP's needs, or whether it's a good sea boat etc is one thing; but whether it's broke and should be scuttled or rejected is entirely another.

I don't reckon there was anything in that survey that a competent weekend handyman couldn't fix. And any cruiser should aim to be at least that, because chippies and sparks and grease monkeys most likely won't be on hand when you're way out there.

Unlike motoring, you can't just pop the vehicle in for a regular service and expect to be able to sail off without strife to the next sundowner. Being able to fix every part of your boat in tricky conditions is at the essence of the cruiser. And learning how to do just that is where at least half the pleasure lies. IMHO.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:15   #47

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Being able to fix every part of your boat in tricky conditions is at the essence of the cruiser. And learning how to do just that is where at least half the pleasure lies. IMHO.
I can understand the underlying idea here, and I believe all here would acknowledge the fact the maintenance in faraway places is a challenge that carries a high degree of personal satisfaction, but the reality is that if boatman (who arguably has the most experience here with this particular model) won't even deliver it to you via the ocean, any and all investment in repairing this vessel would totally work against your expectation of being able to experience the "joy of maintenance" at the cruising destination of your choice - when the odds of you even reaching it are a suggested and rightfully terrifying 50/50 ...

The OP made the right decision - this is not the time to be idealistic, sorry.

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:02   #48
Armchair Bucketeer

Boatman posted a photo in another thread showing a Catalac with no rig (apart from a downwind sail / kite).........if someone was willing to go Motorboat / Houseboat with her could be ideal (loads of space for length) - whether around the Greek Islands, coastal cruising or up the canals.........arguably with no rig any concerns on the stress cracking (and cause of) then not such a problem.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:57   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

DOJ.... I cannot take credit for posting the pic of the Catalac... that was someone advocating kites etc for boats... I just indentified the boat...lol

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:05   #50

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Don't know if you ment this thread,

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...wow-51816.html

but funnily enough, it was me that posted it!