Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2010, 11:10   #61
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The secondhand "personal effects" can also work to your advantage. Once everyone is clear on what comes or goes...For instance, if you buy the boat for $30k "bare" that's the price you pay sales tax on. If you buy "personal effects" for $5k more...there's no tax on those. Sails, instruments, cushions...as long as the delivery is separate (i.e. off the boat then back on the boat) that's usually all the tax man needs to know.
Tools I wouldn't expect. Spares I would. What, you've never rented an apartment or bought a home and found there's not one light bulb left in the place?<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 11:33   #62

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Mike43 has a good point. If you are overseas and cannot view the myriad of boats currently on the market, contact a lisenced broker to act on your behalf. They have the time and usually the knowledge to narrow your search down to a few 'keepers'. I met just such a broker when I was selling my boat about 12 years ago. She viewed it and told me it wasn't quite what her client was looking for but she was very knowledgable and polite. Ended up selling to someone else but used her to purchase my next boat 6 months later. Good business for her and I saved myself a lot of time running around the country looking for the right 'next boat'. She also steered me to a great surveyor in the area where the boat was lying. The market is pretty quiet right now so there a lot of good brokers out there who would be happy to act as your agent... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 02:52   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The secondhand "personal effects" can also work to your advantage. Once everyone is clear on what comes or goes...For instance, if you buy the boat for $30k "bare" that's the price you pay sales tax on. If you buy "personal effects" for $5k more...there's no tax on those. Sails, instruments, cushions...as long as the delivery is separate (i.e. off the boat then back on the boat) that's usually all the tax man needs to know.
Tools I wouldn't expect. Spares I would. What, you've never rented an apartment or bought a home and found there's not one light bulb left in the place?<G>
Ok 2 invoices is good. But with discretion, I would imagine 15% or so?
No - never arrived at or left a home with the light bulbs gone - seems very sleazy. And sold my last boat with everything. Hope they don't nick the anchor swivel.

One thing that bothers me is the Yachtworld listing went from active to "under Contract" the day I paid the deposit.
Then 2 days later the "under contract" was removed and the listing is still active.
I asked the broker - he said it doesn't go "under contract" until "Acceptance".
But, from what I have observed from this and other brokers is that is goes "under contract" when it is under contract and deposit is received. And then goes to "sale pending" upon Acceptance.
So it is being actively marketed even though under contract with me for more than 2 weeks.
A new buyer stepping in with survey knowledge would not inspire the seller to responsibly fix broken items. And replace items that were advertised as new, and are not, such as the shrouds.
Anyway, it's just money.
Cheers
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 20:21   #64

AllezCat, I intended to make this post for you in the Fuel Tank Gasket thread, but here works too. Since water has been leaking onto the tank it is important to find where it has been draining. If there is any possibility that it has been getting under the tank as it drains then it is extra important to check the underside of the tank for corrosion. Even with the tank empty it could be a serious nuisance to raise up the tank enough to examine it - a person who inspects fuel tanks would (should) know how to go about this. If you do purchase the boat, get a clause in the contract about the integrity of the fuel tank and have money held back in an escrow account or something to cover the cost of an inspection and repairs or new tank if necessary.

The broker changing the listing on you like that sounds very shady, maybe he is trying to get additional offers to push you into a quicker, less thought-out sale.
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 20:48   #65

Please know that I work part time at a brokerage and I sell and list boats. Please consider your contingencies. Satisfactory test sail, survey, tow the trailer, step and un-step the trailerable rig, financing satisfactory to buyer (if the loan in 70% of appraised value and the survey value comes in lower than you "need"-and you are not satisfied-you can get out if need be), ability to obtain moorage... know that it is likely that the more contingencies you put down, the less room you leave to negotiate. There are only two or three "deal-breakers" allowed on either side on most negotiations.
I have seen some contingencies that say the seller pays for the haul out and pressure wash while the buyer pays for the survey...You can ask for the moon and stars, no harm done. Just know that the more you ask for, the more likely the seller is to wait it out if they can. Try to put yourself in the sellers position if at all possible. You will likely be there at some time.
Great topic for discussion, thanks.
Greg
Old 17-11-2010, 02:05   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipShape View Post
AllezCat, I intended to make this post for you in the Fuel Tank Gasket thread, but here works too. Since water has been leaking onto the tank it is important to find where it has been draining. If there is any possibility that it has been getting under the tank as it drains then it is extra important to check the underside of the tank for corrosion. Even with the tank empty it could be a serious nuisance to raise up the tank enough to examine it - a person who inspects fuel tanks would (should) know how to go about this. If you do purchase the boat, get a clause in the contract about the integrity of the fuel tank and have money held back in an escrow account or something to cover the cost of an inspection and repairs or new tank if necessary.

The broker changing the listing on you like that sounds very shady, maybe he is trying to get additional offers to push you into a quicker, less thought-out sale.
thanks - good points. will organize escrow etc...
I can't even find a price of a similar tank >150 gallons. And would probably be impossible to remove without some destruction.
Don't know why they don't gasket these forward hatches. Had the same issue on my last boat. Problem solved with a cheap peel and stick gasket...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote