Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 18:06   #1

Pearson Vanguard Restoration ?

Hi,

I have been reading through the forums here for a while, and I have found lots of the information useful and or interesting so I figured I would post a question and see where it goes.

First,
I a 22 year old single guy, and I am looking at getting a boat to live aboard and do some cruising sometime within the next 1 - 2 years. Unfortunately my sailing experience is limited (very limited) as of right now, but I have been reading as much information as I can get my hands on and I am planning on taking some classes on sailing.
Perhaps more unfortunate than my lack of experience is the fact that my budget is micro; I do not want to spend over $15,000 on the boat itself, if possible.

Should I look at getting a boat that needs some work, or should I get one that is ready to go with a minimal amount of work?

I was able to find a 1967 Pearson Vanguard 32' for $2000 according to the seller the hull and deck are in solid condition, but it needs to be repainted inside and out. The A4 engine is in unknown working condition, and the boom needs 'sanding and varnish'
I have not looked at the boat in person, as I am not ready to buy yet. But, would it be even worth looking into further if I was, or would it likely cost more than it is worth?

I consider myself pretty handy; I fix most of the problems on my house and I work on my own car, so I could do at least some of the work myself. The problem is I do not know what a realistic estimate for restoring a boat would be, and I am afraid of opening a can of worms I cannot easily close.

Also, any possible suggestions for a reliable boat that I could get on the cheap? I would like it to be somewhere between 28 - 35 foot, preferably sloop rigging and fixed keel. Under $15,000.

Any information or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!
--Drake
Drake M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 18:17   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I had a vanguard, in almost exactally your same circumstances. I bought it under water for $800. I pulled it up the same day and pulled the engine the next day (A4). A ton of cleaning of the interior with a garden sprayer and bleach and elbow grease, a little engine work (all myself using parts from just about every imagineable vehicle with the help of NAPA) and I had a servicable boat. The up side was the boat came with a lot of spares for the standing rigging and a ton of sails (6 headsails, main, trysail, 2 spinnakers). All in including the new VHF and cable I had about $3000 into a boat that was capable of sailing comfortably(depending on your def of comfort) for some distance. Keep in mind that I bought nothing new for it, nor did I buy anything "marine" for it.
But before you go for something like that, have a look around yachtworld.......you'll be suprised at what you can find for a little money.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson, restoration