Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 11:20   #1

Plan to Cruise

ost to cruise
I am attempting to develop a plan to purchase a blue water worthy catamaran that can easily be single handed during shore cruising. Once I develop the skills and confidence to cross oceans, i will likely find a crew member to assist. I am going to need to rely on my social security and investment income to support myself once I become eligible for SS in about 3 years. In the meantime, I plan to purchase a boat to slip and live on during weekends as I travel viturally 100% of the time for my work. During the next three years I will use the boat only for shore cruising and small hops to Catalina Island and other nearby ports while learning all I can about operation, maintenance, and everything else. My sailing experience consists of owning a Sabot when I was a boy and sailing it around Alamitos Bay in Long Beach all summer long. I've sailed up to 14' boats but nothing larger than that. Obviously I have a lot to learn before pulling up anchor permanently. Right now i am particularly interested in what I could count on as a reasonable monthly cost range to cruise on an extended basis once I retire. I will have to use my somewhat meager investments to purchase the boat which will only leave me a small balance (for emergencies and reserve) along with ss income to live and operate on. I am not interested in starving or eating only beans, but I think I would be able to live fairly frugally and still allow some dinners out in port, etc. The cats that seem to interest me the most are the Lagoon 380 owners version and the Manta (I really like this one, but I know they are no longer in business). I would like to buy a well equipped, used boat and hope to stay in the $150 - $250 range. I am interested in any comments, advice, etc. from any of you who have either done something or are now doing something similar. Especially concerning boats I should stay away from, how old of a boat is too old, size, etc. I would love to throw in the towel and just go for it, but I don't think I can swing it without an additional source of income such as SS. Thanks for the input.
k-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:17   #2

Boat: looking
Re: plan to cruise

Welcome aboard, k-bob! I can't help you with any info./opinions on cats, but I'd expect that some will be along shortly to share their views. Best of luck in your search & future plans!
Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 17:35   #3

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter
Re: Plan to Cruise

K-bob,

Welcome aboard, there are several and I mean several cat owners who will kindly guide you into finding a cat in your area and give you some really GOOD advise on what to look for.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:24   #4

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

You might want to look at the Gemini 105mc. At 34' it's easier to single hand, and it is narrow enough to get into standard slips....a big advantage in California. You can easily find well-equipped late model Geminis for $150K. There is some debate about blue water capability, but many people sail them on long passages. I know of one currently doing a circumnavigation.
The Slapdash | No Fixed Address

I don't own one, but I've been looking
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:25   #5

Thanks for the information. I have noticed quite a few of the Gemini's for sale and they do seem to be a bit less expensive. One thing I noticed about them is they have no trampoline. I was reading elsewhere that this is important if your boat goes head first into a swell so that the water drains right out rather than going over and through and possibly into the boat. I just read it, have no idea if it's a valid concern or not. Anyway, thank you for the input. I will be looking a little more closely at those now.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:28   #6

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

For another Gemini doing ocean passages, check out SV Footprint. Good luck in your search!
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 14:13   #7

Thanks, how would I go about locating these people? Is this what they do or are you speaking generally of people on this site?
Old 28-05-2011, 14:13   #8

Boat: Manta 44 PC Pangaea

Welcome aboard... You mentioned Mantas... There are about 126 happy Manta sail cats that have gone all over the world. Yes, we need wider slips than Gemini cats but have twice as much room and comfort. We lived on our Manta 40 sail cat before we upgraded to a Manta Power Cat. There are a few manta cats on the market in or close to your price range. OBTW We sailed from Annapolis to Honduras including all the good spots between, rode out hurricanes, dove the finest waters in the world, safely in comfort on our Manta!! Gene
Sailor-Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 14:57   #9

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Sorry I'm slow to respond...just google SV Footprint and their blog comes up. (not my pc so can't post links)
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 15:14   #10

Do you think that buying the boat through ebay.com and boatangels seler is a good choice? I have no experience about sailing. I want to hire a delivery from California to Chile, any idea how to go forward?
racing8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 15:15   #11

Do you think that buying the boat through ebay.com and boatangels seler is a good choice? I have no experience about sailing. I want to hire a delivery form Califirnia to Chile, any idea how to go forward?
Old 28-05-2011, 16:14   #12

Boat: O'Day 28

racing8989: start your own thread. There are are people here to help. if you have the dough, the boat will come.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 16:45   #13

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Plan to Cruise

k-bob, pardon if this is rude but how about sitting tight awhile, read a couple of books, maybe learn how to sail? Wihout your own skills, how you gonna know whats really what? Are you really gonna drop a couple of hundred grand on something you read here? You have years to plan.

Take responsibility. Rather than finding a guru, why not develop your own expertise? Hang on to your money til the last moment.

yeah, yeah, I know you're going to sail RTW.

I know.

Lotsa people sail RTW only to find out you don't have to.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 19:11   #14

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I think you have a good plan. If you buy a boat now you will, as you know, need some practice before you set off to cross an ocean. If you do as you say you can learn in So Cal where the conditions are pretty easy and you're really close to a lot of supplies and help if you need it. I'm sure that many experienced sailors would love to take a ride on your cat and show you what to do to start. Even if all you ever do is live aboard I'm sure that you'll never regret it. It's nice to live where thousands of people spend thousands of dollars every weekend just to be able to see your house.
Money will probably work it's self out. Many famous people who've lost a lot have complained that they can't possibly live on less than $50,000.00 a month or some other silly amount. We can probably all happily live on less than what we do now. I seem to be getting happier and happier as I have less & less stuff.
Old 29-05-2011, 08:04   #15

thanks for your words. do you think is better to buy in the east coast or west coast a boat? do you know any responsible yatch broker? how long will it take me to learn how to sail form California to Chile? Any sailboat can do the traveling?
thanlks

Tags
cruise