Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2018, 13:28   #31

Boat: Lagoon 42
Re: Proving title and VAT status without original invoice

I think I may have made a mistake , they are part of the EU (not EU VAT zone) so you're good

but please check with your local customs officer , dont rely on me :-)
Old 20-01-2018, 13:42   #32

Application of the law might be a little more lenient than the law itself Meaning maybe some customs officers are happy with Martinique, Canaries(!) receipts. No idea...
Old 20-01-2018, 13:48   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWISPEL View Post
The seller can obtain by the Customs a declaretion that the TAV is paid!
:
UK HMRC stopped offering this service some years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I would only buy the boat contingent upon the seller producing reasonable and accepted proof of the tax being paid. I expect you want "proof" that will satisfy the tax authorities in some particular country? Then I'd suggest placing the full amount of the tax into an escrow fund, to be released to you or the seller only after you have submitted their "proof" of the tax to that authority, and had it rejected or accepted. That way if the seller is sure it was paid, they lose nothing. If they can't substantiate that claim, they pay the VAT.

If you've got the time to wait for their "proof" and you can submit it in advance to find out that it will be accepted, then there's nothing for anyone to worry about.
With 28 countries in the EU there are 28 customs organisations who all have their own ideas and to add confusion their own language. So which ones does he choose and what common language to use?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 14:01   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post
ermmmm..

enter the Netherlands (Schengen 'border' country) from the Northsea and stay your 1st night in lets say Ijmuiden and chances are 60-80% you'll have customs officials visiting and they will ask for proof of VAT paid and if they have any reason to believe you have been outside of the EU VAT zone for longer than 3 years they will ask you to provide proof youve not been outside teh EU VAT zone for more than 3 years
Are you saying 4 in every 5 yachts entering the NL will be visited by Customs and they will ask for proof of VAT? Really? I don't believe it.

Pete
Old 21-01-2018, 04:18   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Are you saying 4 in every 5 yachts entering the NL will be visited by Customs and they will ask for proof of VAT? Really? I don't believe it.

Pete

you shouldnt believe me but i do encourage you to ask around for yourself and not rely on info given on the inernet
Old 21-01-2018, 05:22   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Proving title and VAT status without original invoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Those French territories are not part of the EU VAT zone. Question is if a previous owner was outside the EU 10 years ago and came back unnoticed, what happens then? The authorities cannot prove that the boat hasn't entered a port in the EU VAT area in the meantime, while I bring my receipts from the past 5 years.

Legally the boat has lost its VAT status but no one can prove that.
Its extremely hard for a boat to enter the EU unnoticed from the West.. unless you never entered a port/marina, but stayed on the hook wherever you sail.. and even then the marine police often visit anchorages carrying out snap inspections of papers etc.
Also.. its not the obligation of the authorities to prove that VAT has NOT been paid nor the cruising history of the vessel.. its down to you to prove it HAS.. and where you have been for the preceding years.
Contrary to popular belief.. You are Guilty until proven Innocent.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 05:44   #37

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
When any EU VAT paid good leaves (is outside of) the EU for more than 3 years , its looses its EU 'VAT paid' status

So when you travel , lets say to the Carib , and are cruising around for 10 years , you better check into some of the French territories during those years and keep the receipts to maintain the EU 'VAT paid' status and be able to provide proof

(I contacted the Dutch customs about this and they confirmed that any boat outside the EU for more than 3 years looses its VAT paid status , and visiting any EU VAT area, like french territories , basically resets the 3 year clock)
This rule always confuses me. How can you proof that your boat hasn’t been outside the VAT area for 3 years or more?

And the French, Dutch, British territories are all excluded from the VAT area.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 05:59   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Proving title and VAT status without original invoice

Every time you enter a marina you are logged onto a central computer base.. even if its just for water or fuel.
Its also where it pays to keep some receipts with dates from previous non EU countries.. if your heading back else you could end up being rigorously searched if coming from the Caribe/wherever and your times exceed acceptable passage times for trip.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 07:37   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
This rule always confuses me. How can you proof that your boat hasn’t been outside the VAT area for 3 years or more?

And the French, Dutch, British territories are all excluded from the VAT area.

receipts for fuel , water , dockage , groceries

Anything really

And yes, I stated that before , that was my mistake , its not teh EU VAT zone that is leading , its the 'EU zone' that is leading , and a lot of the french territories are part of the EU (but outside the VAT zone) so you're effectively visiting the EU within the 3 years , and your clock is reset (if you keep the receipts to prove you've visited)

as with many (all ?) tax related issues, the proof lays with you to prove you comply with all the rules, not with the tax office
Old 21-01-2018, 11:32   #40
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I would still say this is the SELLER'S problem, not the buyer's.

As far as the buyer is concerned, the VAT has not been paid unless they have proof otherwise. So the boat is worth that much less, absent the proof. If the seller wants that much more for their boat--they're just going to have to get up off their butt and supply the proof. And if they're not trying to cheat the buyer, that's what they will do. Either come up with the proof, or accept that the VAT will have to be paid again, so the boat is worth that much less.

Kinda like someone saying "I have a boat for sale" "Uh, I don't know what kind, it is somewhere down in the harbor." REALLY? Maybe it's a steal...either way.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 01:48   #41

Boat: no boat any more

boatman61: "...because I'm an EU Citizen..." - they are hard at work changing that...
Old 22-01-2018, 02:27   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
you shouldnt believe me
I don't hence my question asking for proof

Quote:
but i do encourage you to ask around for yourself
I haven't the slightest intention of asking around about something that isn't true.

Quote:
and not rely on info given on the Internet
Somewhat ironic because you gave the advice.
Old 22-01-2018, 02:43   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I would still say this is the SELLER'S problem, not the buyer's.
If a problem with VAT exists at all then yes this is true.

Quote:

As far as the buyer is concerned, the VAT has not been paid unless they have proof otherwise. So the boat is worth that much less, absent the proof. If the seller wants that much more for their boat--they're just going to have to get up off their butt and supply the proof. And if they're not trying to cheat the buyer, that's what they will do. Either come up with the proof, or accept that the VAT will have to be paid again, so the boat is worth that much less.

Kinda like someone saying "I have a boat for sale" "Uh, I don't know what kind, it is somewhere down in the harbor." REALLY? Maybe it's a steal...either way.
I disagree, VAT is not due on a sale of a secondhand item between two individuals in the EU. Proof of previous VAT payments on initial purchase would be nice to have but not always available. Is it a problem? not really because the new owner will have a receipt saying the boat was purchased secondhand from a private individual within the EU.

Pete
Old 22-01-2018, 20:40   #44

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

There are many long discussions about VAT on boat forums but I have yet to hear of anyone on forums or in real life that has had any problem because they can't show original invoice. Most VAT problems are from people that buy a boat in Turkey and eventually realizes the boat is no longer VAT paid.
My boat predates VAT, I'm supposed to be able to show that she was in the EU on a certain date, I can't and it does not worry me.
I would buy a boat a boat from a private seller in the EU even if he could not show original invoice, that would not bother me.
In both cases I would want a receipt identifying the seller and showing a location that is in the EU, a proof like a marina receipt would not hurt but is not essential.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 07:55   #45

Just run into an offer from the UK, where neither all bills of sale nor the original builder's certificate are available. Here VAT would be my least concern, much worse if hidden owners, lenders might pop up, out of nowhere. I just can't understand why would people throw away the birth certificates of a once 100k+ investment, knowing that these pieces of paper are the only documentation of their title.