Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2020, 09:52   #16

Boat: Bristol 40
Re: SAMS or NAMS ??

Nav4425 said it best.
Ask the surveyor what their specialty is and if they have experience with the boat you seek to purchase. Sample reports are worth a look as well. Local boatyards and yacht clubs are a good source of information and recommendations for local surveyors.
SAMS and NAMS would have you believe they are the only reputable surveyors in the business. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact they are hardly recognized outside of the United States.
Offshore1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 18:27   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav4425 View Post
Liabel post, passing to our attorney....didn't know you were such anti professional, anti education supporter....how sad
Sue me for providing a link to your website !
Hilarious.
Old 11-09-2020, 17:22   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav4425 View Post
Yes, all materials have been moved online to help with those who have been adversely affected by COVID, thank you for the outpouring of support all. Many organization members have started with us, boatpoker. Thank you again.
Not quite accurate. Your "free" first certificate has been online for many years
Old 12-09-2020, 15:16   #19

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

spellingWell there are surveyer's and there are surveyer's, my story, as aShipwright and Rigger, back around 1990, i surveyed a wood 44 ft. Sloop in the water for myself, made an offer, based on a haulout to complete said survey, first thing i did was crawl under the keel to inspect the CENTER BOARD TRUNK, OMG!, couldn't believe what i saw, the trunk was eaten away to the point, that there was about one inch of timber left on each side of the slot, where the 800 lb. Bronze center board swung up and down, this had taken YEAR'S to happen, on board were three survey's done over the year's, done by well recognized people, in Seattle and San Francisco, none of the survey's mentioned that there was a C.B., one even had a C.B. box to check off, i mean when you went below, the C.B. stood out like bulls balls, how could it be missed ?, so much for surveyor's, so this lesson taught me to question the type of boat's the surveyor has experience with.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 15:47   #20

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

SAMS, NAMS. This video explains it all.

https://youtu.be/WboggjN_G-4?t=1m9s

(No really, the question has already been answered correctly)
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 16:11   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
spellingWell there are surveyer's and there are surveyer's, my story, as aShipwright and Rigger, back around 1990, i surveyed a wood 44 ft. Sloop in the water for myself, made an offer, based on a haulout to complete said survey, first thing i did was crawl under the keel to inspect the CENTER BOARD TRUNK, OMG!, couldn't believe what i saw, the trunk was eaten away to the point, that there was about one inch of timber left on each side of the slot, where the 800 lb. Bronze center board swung up and down, this had taken YEAR'S to happen, on board were three survey's done over the year's, done by well recognized people, in Seattle and San Francisco, none of the survey's mentioned that there was a C.B., one even had a C.B. box to check off, i mean when you went below, the C.B. stood out like bulls balls, how could it be missed ?, so much for surveyor's, so this lesson taught me to question the type of boat's the surveyor has experience with.
Surveying a 44' plastic boat is a one day job. Surveying an older 44' sloop with trunk is a two long day job and then another full day to write the report.

I stopped surveying wooden boats 15yrs ago because no one wanted to pay for three days work.