Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2007, 14:29   #1

San Carlos Mexico

Does anyone have any experience buying a boat in San Carlos Mexico?

If so, or not, does anyone have any leads on a good surveyor for a blue water capable boat? Also, does anyone have recommendations or price expectations for getting it back to Los Angeles (shipping, delivery, etc)?

Thanks,
jpcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 15:09   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I have trucked two boats from San Carlos Sonora, Mexico to the Seattle area.
The first one was our Lord Nelson 35 which, after cruising Mexico we trucked to Seattle in 1997. It cost about $6k to delivery in Seattle. The second one was found at anchor in Puerto Escondido Mexico. We arranged the sale by owner (an American), and the owner paid for and had it trucked to Tucson AZ. There, we transferred it to an American trucking firm, did the ownership transfer papers and I picked up the boat in Everett, WA.
That leg of the trucking (in 2000) cost $3k.

I realize it's a different time, different circumstances, and a different destination, but hopefully it might help you.

Marina Seca has done trucking boats for many years and should be quite helpful.

Marina San carlos

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 13:29   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
I wasted a few hundred bucks and a few days time heading down for what I thought was a bargain of a boat. The boat was misrepresented to me by the broker. When I got down there the headliner was not on the boat. There were holes in the rudder, and the nuts that held the keel bolts on were a few chips away from being non existent (I could peel them away with a screwdriver). From there the boat was not in condition to be surveyed. Full of junk. The decks were so slick without water on them that I almost fell overboard on dry land. . . well it was a train wreck. Being a smarter person now I would hire a surveyor to do a drive by look at a few boats that I was interested in and then if he said it was worth coming down and having a look I would fly down and do a survey on the one I liked the best. Surveyors email is: allansmithmarine@hotmail.com <allansmithmarine@hotmail.com>. He was very honest and when I decided that it was not worth ging thru the boat he only charged me less than half the price for the survey. Had to be cash though. He also has connections in other places La Paz PV etc.

IMHO It is hard to get a good value on a boat in Mexico such that you could bring it up to the states and save money. OTH if you were wanting to start a crusie in Mexico and keep going it makes sense.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 13:53   #4

san carlos

I been living in san carlos and Puerto penasco mex for many years and
and have sailed those waters .I have a union polaris 36 completely restored which is in San Carlos and is now for sale ,If you would like inforo please feel free to email me and I will answer all your questions
btrombem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 17:09   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcraw
Also, does anyone have recommendations or price expectations for getting it back to Los Angeles (shipping, delivery, etc)?
The only price expectation I would tell you to prepare for is the tax bill from the State Board of Equalization after you bring the boat into California. Have you considered keeping it in Mexico? If you want it somewhere "handy," you could have it brought to Ensenada.

I know, that's not quite the same as keeping it at MdR, but you'll save a bunch of bucks.

TaoJones

Tags
Mexico, san carlos