Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2022, 07:11   #31

Re: Scam or Incredible Deal?

Different kinds of fools.

I wish they had abstained from refunding me, I really wanted to see what would transpire, hoping something interesting would turn up.

But OBVIOUSLY the odds of it being as described are 10,000+ to one against.

They are quickly going to lose their PP merchant status if all the transactions get reversed before they even get the chance to ship anything.

I'd give it at least 60 days to arrive the way things are going from China these days...
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 08:53   #32

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
I wish they had abstained from refunding me, I really wanted to see what would transpire, hoping something interesting would turn up.
I think it's pretty obvious nothing would ever have been shipped. The longer you (or any wanna-be customer) wait, the more money the scammer steals from PayPal before the scam collapses.

This isn't someone who has a warehouse full of products ready to ship. It's a hacker with a computer somewhere. Their business model is to grab as much money as possible from the suckers, knowing full well that by the time the "six to eight weeks for delivery" is over, their phony e-commerce site will be long gone, along with any cash they were able to extract before PayPal canceled their account.

By then they've moved on to the hundred new, fake web sites they've created.

You did the right thing by letting PayPal know it's a scam. The sooner they shut the scammer down, the fewer people lose money to that particular scam site. I'd say that's a good deed.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 09:21   #33

I'm not so sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
You did the right thing by letting PayPal know it's a scam
I certainly did not intend that, I was just asking questions. It was PP's overly inflexible automated system that interpreted my request as a dispute and prematurely issued a refund.

And PP did not in fact determine that it is for sure a scam, or the merchant would have been banned and the later transaction not allowed through.

> by the time the "six to eight weeks for delivery" is over

Did I miss that?
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 22:34   #34

This is an interesting new variation of usual scam. The web page you shared with the Sailrite scam contained a link to the legitimate web shopping site. Browsing from the litigate website you cannot find the Sailrite item for sale. This is a good tipoff of a scam.

I have been taken twice by similar scams. The first time, PP ruled against me. The scammer had sent a small 1 once package via US Postal Service to an address near me and used its tracking number as verification that I had received a 50 lb. purchase. Scammers use USPS tracking numbers because it does not contain the actual delivered address or the weight of the package. To get that information out of USPS, you need to make a complaint to the Postal Police and then call the district manager to get that information. I did change PP ruling to my favor with that info. Also, using a credit card to pay for PP purchases gives you an additional layer of protection if PP doesn't come through.
Baba Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 06:53   #35

Same story, warehouse liquidation sale, act now, with other "incredible" deals such as car lifts for $89, on and on. The term, incredible, means not credible. I see these postings on FB all the time. Tempting... Don't go there.

I've had problems with Paypal, too. The last time I bought an e-manual, that was not what I had ordered, even after questioning the seller about the content before buying. So I filed a dispute with Paypal. Their stock answer was to send them verification that I had shipped the item back. How do you ship a digital product? Eventually, I was able to make them understand, but it was not easy.
Tail Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 07:15   #36

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Yet another reason to stay away from Facebook!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 07:22   #37

No I did not cancel Paypal, but did take my autopay using my credit cards on Paypal. Yes, I did not read beyond the "deal", taking the bait but after further research felt it was "too good to be true" and stopped Amex and got a new card. No, the machine was never delivered, the price quoted including shipping was posted higher on Paypal and I am in dispute with them. I tried to email the chinese site but they never responded. Hopefully I learned my lesson. Deninpro also did not respond at all as well.
bollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 07:34   #38

I belong to a facebook group "Sewing On Boats" and there's always someone on there selling one, but not at prices like this.
penaltybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 07:37   #39

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

It's a scam for sure.
Old 25-04-2022, 08:08   #40

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Here's a real update.

My wife decided she was going to give it a shot.

She ordered one ($98.40 w/Paypal) and received an order confirmation that same day that we would receive the LSZ-1 in 3-7 days.
The next day, we received an updated PP invoice for $113.16 ($98.40 +$0 tax +$0 shipping = $113.16 (??)). We immediately contacted the seller and asked about the extra charge and for a tracking #. We had no response.
Waited a couple of more days and again asked the seller for a tracking #. More crickets.
After waiting 9 days (well past the 3-7 days for world wide shipping) and we contacted PP with all our documentation (copies of emails, up charges, etc.). Within minutes of sending the info to PP, we had a full refund.
Bottom line it was a scam, but going through PP made it a non-issue to test the waters. If you follow the PP rules/procedure, your funds are pretty much protected. Not sure how this scam would ever work going through PP, but I'm not a scammer and don't know the how it works.

Paul, do you now feel vindicated after not playing it out???
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 08:41   #41

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
I ran across this website which claims to be selling a Sailrite LZ-1 walking foot sewing machine for less than $100. The site claims it is a liquidation sale.

Well you know what they say about too good to be true....

What is your opinion on this offer?

https://www.deninpro.com/products/sa...-machine-110v-

I'd risk $100 to find out but I already own one and love the machine. If anyone else is looking for one, the sale is only on for a few days more. I am not promoting this, but wondering.
Stick with the old saying: If is sounds too good to be true, most likely it isn't.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 08:42   #42

Boat: Alberg 30, Hull #69

Just ordered one and the payment has processed. No mention of shipping charge or tax. Will report back….0
AbelCMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 08:58   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
I ran across this website which claims to be selling a Sailrite LZ-1 walking foot sewing machine for less than $100. The site claims it is a liquidation sale.

Well you know what they say about too good to be true....

What is your opinion on this offer?

https://www.deninpro.com/products/sa...-machine-110v-

I'd risk $100 to find out but I already own one and love the machine. If anyone else is looking for one, the sale is only on for a few days more. I am not promoting this, but wondering.
I gave it a try until I found the only payment method offered was PayPal. This brought back unpleasant memories of purchasing a camera via Paypal / Facebook, and eventually receiving only a hair grip. So I cut out at that point.

Brian W
betwys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 09:11   #44

I bet you originally saw the ad on Facebook. Lately I've noticed dozens and dozens of similar scam ads on Facebook and have been reporting them. Most of them offer 2 for 1 deals with free worldwide shipping on heavy merchandise.
DavidSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 09:15   #45

Boat: Bavaria 36'

As ever, if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote