Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 15:12   #1

Boat: 1984 Pearson 34 & 1974 Pearson 26
Searching for first boat suggestions...

Howdy folks. Hope this thread is in the right place....
I will be purchasing my first boat this summer (used). This boat will be one for gaining experience and getting the family engaged in the concept and lifestyle of sailing. I'm hoping someone may have a quick suggestion to help narrow my search. I'll be searching for a cruising boat that can accomodate our family of 4. Two young teens, wife and myself. I want to do overnight weekend trips with the family as well as some multi day trips with a friend or two so I will need the basics as well as a head. Ultimately, as the kids get older and more autonomous, I plan to upgrade to a decent sized live aboard for the wife and myself. My plan for now is to purchase a 20 or 30 year old boat, up to 30 feet, and use it in the local area until I get the experience and confidence to know a little better what it is I need or want as an upgrade. As I'm new to sailing, I am overwhelmed by the selection of boats on the used market. I have an extensive collection of tools and lots of mechanics experience, and I use GPS to navigate my airplane right down to 300' AGL almost every day at work (airline pilot by trade). I have a one week course on a Tanzer 22 set up for early this summer. From what I can see, the cost of renting the Tanzer for 10 hours is better than 1/4 the cost of a used boat so I might as well just buy something instead. Hence my post. Suggestions are appreciated. This post was way longer than I intended so thanks if you made it all the way through!
Rol1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 13:04   #2

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Re: Searching for first boat suggestions...

See if you can join a sailing club, do various instruction levels, and sail their boats.

Co.pared to boat ownership club membership is so inexpensive an d the sailing time is so much.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 14:10   #3

Boat: 1984 Pearson 34 & 1974 Pearson 26

Signed on for sailing course this June. Just have to wait for several feet of snow and ice to melt first! Good idea on sharing a boat. There’s a few $3-$5K 20 footers in the area for sale. Thx.
Rol1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 14:50   #4

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Hello,
You should choose a boat between 29 to 34 feet .
29 if it's new design like beneteau first and 34 if it's an old design .
If you go with the 34 and you don't have a huge budget you can still sail the world on 34 feet and be happy I do it in my 26 feet , alone was fine with 2 people I wish I had the 29 feet version of my boat , with 4 34 to 36 feet is good .
If where you are is cold definitely go for a 30 to 34 .
If budget is not an issue , buy your dream.boat now
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, boat