Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 12:53   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Shipping to Mexico...yes Virginia there is a Santaclause

It's a constant refrain sung around the cruiser haunts and anchorages in Mexico that you just can't ship something into Mexico without weeks or months of drama. Customs in Guadalajara, the story goes, will screw you, steal your stuff and rake you over the coals in customs duty.

Well let me introduce a new song, it's called San Diego to La Cruz Mexico in two days with a Saturday delivery for about $100 in shipping costs. That's about 31hrs door to door. The box was 46"x3"x3 (to accommodate an RO Membrane). The shipping method was using DHL with complete and accurate tracking all along the way. This isn't a one off, lucky package, I've been having these shipping results in Mexico for years now. In part because I know how to fill out the paperwork properly, but this isn't the Mexico you heard about 20, 15 or even 5yrs ago.

The hardest part is convincing the client that "yes, it really will show up...trust me".

Tracking, Track Parcels, Packages, Shipments | DHL Express Tracking
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:25   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Shipping to Mexico...yes Virginia there is a Santaclause

Ya...but $100 to ship a membrane? I guess maybe because it was a 2 day.
To parallel your ease of importing into Mexico, I have a 10 year import on my boat. I carry the paper with me as I travel back and forth by bus, truck or what ever way. I've had suitcases full of tools, gear, quarts of bottom paint go through xray without even a blink of an eye. My truck bed full from front to back, bottom to top of the camper of boat crap. The polite, smiling Army dude looks in, I lay out all my paperwork, he shrugs his shoulders and says grasias amigo and I'm on my way. Twice on the bus, the driver didn't stop at immigration despite my asking, which means I am actually in the country illegally. Still, never a problem coming home.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:49   #3

Boat: Celestial 48

For many items Amazon can ship to Mexico very easily and quick. Check Amazon Global, or use the international shipping filter when searching on Amazon as some items can not be shipped to Mexico.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:43   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

85usd gets dhl to a large city in 2 days. it gets to a tiny puebla more south in 2 weeks.
been practicing with bank cards for almost 4 yrs without much change...
but, yes, virginia, if you are in a large hub city, you will be getting your goodies via dhl in 2 days.
must use tracking.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 19:21   #5

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

I recently used Amazon to ship a new ARB brand cooler style fridge/freezer to La Cruz de Huanacaxtle. The only hitch was the fact that the item cost, plus the shipping, equaled more than $1000 usd, and it was red flagged in Guadalajara. With the help of a local Mexican friend to fill out official forms in Spanish, I still received the item in 6 days. 👍🏽

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, shipping