Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2020, 08:05   #1

State Farm for Insurance

I am working through my insurance options and from the several quotes I have received. Start Farm seems to be about 1/3 of the price of Geico Boat USA for the same coverage.

Policy is for a 2011 leopard 38 @ 230K hull value

State Farm $1357 a year

Geico $4867 a year.

State Farm allows travel on east coast without 100 miles from shore, plus Bahamas. Geico seems to be a similar policy.

Looking through the policies, there is really no difference, so I am wondering what I am missing.
CapnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 08:48   #2

Re: State Farm for Insurance

I just had to switch my insurance due to a huge premium increase on my Travelers policy. It seems it was a bad year for insurance company profits, so premiums were adjusted.

I ended up with a Geico policy with the cruising limits stipulated as coastal and inland waters of US and Canada. My understanding is there is no defined milage limit on how far offshore is still considered coastal. But the policy would need to be changed to cover foreign waters other than Canada.

The other thing you need to be aware of is what is the basis of boat value in the policy. Generally, it will either be actual cost value or agreed value. Since ACV is totally defined by the insurance company based on depreciation, I would always recommend an agreed value policy. But I’m not an expert.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance