Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 20:31   #46

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Sucker's Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Northern freshwater boats will have a higher price than a southern salt boat. A 24 year old north boat is half as old as the southern sister ship in use.
Speaking as the owner of a 1973 33 footer with original, never seen salt rigging in good shape, I have to agree.

If the engine is put away properly, the tanks are drained, the head winterized and the crappiest sort of tarp put securely over it, a 30 year old Great Lakes boat should be as well-worn as a 15-year-old (maybe a 12 year old) Florida boat.

This is what 38 years old looks like, and I can guarantee this is original gelcoat with very little effort to make it look nice. Hell, I don't want to encourage thieves!

By the way, you can have it for a fraction of the cost of those stupid Catalina 30s you're looking at. This boat craps out their rudders.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 20:48   #47

I always find these "sellers are pricing too high" rants odd. Since there's really no reliable market price for sailboats (different location, equipment, age, etc), it makes perfect sense as a seller to start high.

You might get lucky. Maybe someone's been searching for exactly your boat.

If no one shows up, you eventually drop your price.

Life's too short to worry about it much.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 21:16   #48

Boat: Pearson 281

You have to earn the deal. Buying boats is not unlike renting apartments or buying cars. Face to face walking the docs, driving the neighborhood, responding to private ads and this takes time and effort. Since I'm no good with cars I never enjoyed that effort but boats and apartments were a different thing. The best apartments I ever had I found from signs in a window where the renter never even ran an ad. I always enjoy walking the docks and both of my favorite keel boats were found this way and both owners took half the asking price.
I have also seen it work where if you see a boat that looks neglected write a letter and send it through the marina.
Finally the more time you so spend around the docks, around boats deals will sometimes fall in your lap.
One guy here who works on boats a lot got a beautiful, well-found Fellows and Stewart Island Clipper for $1.00 and turned it into a gorgeous boat in about a month. But there are other stories as well. Patience, enjoy shopping... if not then be prepared to pay.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 21:22   #49

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Nomad... you might consider investing in a couple of plane tickets to visit the west coast. There are a hugh number of boats in the LA/San Diego corridor that might fit what you are looking for.
Because they are all in the same area, the FMV is set lower than in Canada. Add in the shipping costs which for a 30-35 footer won't be all that high I wouldn't think and you might find sellers of decent boats a lot more willing to deal than where you live in Canada.
Asking brokers from several reputable brokerage firms in the SoCal area to send you CV's and select one to act as your agent and set up several boats they have briefed you on in your price range would make your trip a lot more efficient. Flying down there marks you as a serious buyer and not some 'sappy, nice' Canadian (sorry, couldn't resist it!).
Good luck in your search... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 21:43   #50

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Anticipation/searching for a boat is half the fun.

Old 08-07-2011, 21:54   #51

Boat: Pearson 281

Oh, and you have folks here coast to coast and beyond who might be happy to take a cursory look and let you know if something is worth a plane ticket. Will certainly let you know if I see anything worthwhile here around L.A.
Like the idea also of places like Florida and Mexico where folks often leave well outfitted boats for sale because the "dream" didn't quite work out once they'd done just a little traveling. I agree, looking is half the fun.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 22:05   #52

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
Oh, and you have folks here coast to coast and beyond who might be happy to take a cursory look and let you know if something is worth a plane ticket. Will certainly let you know if I see anything worthwhile here around L.A.
Like the idea also of places like Florida and Mexico where folks often leave well outfitted boats for sale because the "dream" didn't quite work out once they'd done just a little traveling. I agree, looking is half the fun.
I think that idea has been thrown out so much on the internet forums its pretty much urban myth now.
Old 09-07-2011, 00:14   #53

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

I'm not shilling for these folks but they have an "MLS" listing of freshwater boats, both Canadian and US. If you haven't seen it check it out.
Temptation Yacht Sales (Mt. Clemens, MI)
Y'gotta think that freshwater boats in the water for about 1/2 year are more desirable than East or West Coast boats.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:34   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad57 View Post
I've been told repeatedly that it's a buyer's market. Somehow, the sellers in my area have not gotten the message. It seems everywhere I look, somebody is trying to 'load me into the boat'. I've been looking at boats, some of which have 25 year-old sails, which I believe are end of life, and yet the prices are still high.

I was recently questioned on this forum for even considering a 1988 Catalina 30 which was asking $32,000 Canadian. Some of the other 30s (similar production boats) of the same era that I have looked at have had asking prices in the low to mid forties. Looking at newer boats, say 2005 or 2006, the asking price is as high as a new boat.

If I were ten years younger, I would skip the used boat market altogether. I don't want to buy someone's worn out and used up boat at a high price, or pay an even more outrageous price for something newer. I've heard that with production boats, used but late model is the way to go, but not if I have to pay the price of a new boat.

I'm starting to get fed up with the whole used boat market in my area. I may have to shop elsewhere, or give up the idea of 'the cruising life' altogether.

There's always the Dominican Republic.

Nomad
Buy ex asia - Canadian exchange rate is better and so are the boats.
PEC Asia (Phillipines) is worth a look
Hang in there
Tony Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:07   #55

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
I know you think you understand what you thought I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you thought you read, is not what I meant.

My statement was worded badly. Here is the correction:

Of course I do! You're exactly right. But the point I was trying to make, is that this wasn't the point. It's not that I was specifically looking to pay below market, but rather that I didn't want to get hosed. That is not to imply that I would not take a deal if I could find one. Let's see if you can understand this: I do not want to pay $45,000 for a boat that has a market value of $30,000.

If you cannot or will not understand this, let me know, and I will try to clarify further.

Nomad
This cracks me up!
I understand perfectly Nomad, you've just got a very funny way of saying things sometimes

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:37   #56

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"

Quote:
That is not to imply that I would not take a deal if I could find one. Let's see if you can understand this: I do not want to pay $45,000 for a boat that has a market value of $30,000. Nomad
Did you make any offers yet? Great Deals usually start with the buyer stepping up to the plate and putting up some cold hard cash to back up his interest in a boat.

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:17   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

if you dont buy the boat sarafina told you about I would think that you are just tire(KEEL)kicking ,you dont have to be a thinking man to figure that one out.good luck.DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:27   #58

Northern boats experience less gel coat, plexiglass, canvas damage than southern boats. On the other hand, I would think southern boats get used more. My experience says that boats that get used are mechanically better than Marina Queens. I'll take a 10 year old diesel with 2000 hours over one with 500 hours anytime... JMHO
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:29   #59

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hey Virtual... two countries separated by a common language! My wife is an Aussie so I'm forever making the translation in my favour... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 17:12   #60

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Hey Virtual... two countries separated by a common language! My wife is an Aussie so I'm forever making the translation in my favour... cheers, Capt Phil
You poor devil, and yet you appear to be fairly sane...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote