Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2010, 06:13   #16

Boat: Seafarer 26
Wow. I don't have the energy to read this entire forum but I do live in Florida and own two boats and have lived aboard. If you bring a car or boat to Florida and you have purchased it more then 6 months ago then you do not pay sales tax. You do need to get a title and maybe a registration. You need the registration only if if it is not a documented vessel. I should clarify that the documentation has to be active and transfers in your name. The documented transfer can happen after the title is issued. You do need at least a hand written motorized bill of sale.
So for most marinas they all require insurance in case your boat hurts their stuff. This is about 150.00 a year. For liveaboard the marina usually wants 100.00 more plus electric. That's the whole thing. No sales tax if you didn't buy it here and no yearly tax if documented. If not documented then about 100.00 a year for registration.
I know about the antique car registration but had not tried it on a boat. Interesting.
Remember the state does not know when youbought your boat (honor system). They also don't know what you paid for it. This is common practice in Florida. To answer the person that was confused with documented vessel and antique registration: if it is documented then you do not have to register it.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 06:50   #17

Note - Florida did have a luxury tax for about a year. It was highly unpopular and am pretty sure was repealed.
Old 19-12-2010, 07:08   #18

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
The documented transfer can happen after the title is issued. You do need at least a hand written motorized bill of sale.
These can be obtained from any DMV I assume.
Old 19-12-2010, 07:29   #19

Well the iPhone likes to respell words sometimes. Notorized is from many places like any bank. The documented vessel is from uscg (coast guard).
Old 19-12-2010, 08:22   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Well the iPhone likes to respell words sometimes. Notorized is from many places like any bank. The documented vessel is from uscg (coast guard).
Yea, I know I was just giving you a hard time. My wife complains about her iPhone doing that all the time.
Old 19-12-2010, 12:38   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles

Yea, I know I was just giving you a hard time. My wife complains about her iPhone doing that all the time.
Doodles - fix for iphone. Go to settings - keyboard- turn off auto correct. On the bad side is that it turns off spell check. I guess we can't have it all.
Old 19-12-2010, 12:56   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We've been living aboard in Florida since 1972 and we've never paid any taxes except the state and local sales tax with most purchases, typically 6+1/2 to 7% and we've remained in full compliance with all regulations.
Old 20-12-2010, 08:02   #23

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
. . . You need the registration only if if it is not a documented vessel. I should clarify that the documentation has to be active and transfers in your name.. . . if it is documented then you do not have to register it.
There is obviously some confusion about the word "registration". You MUST register your boat in Florida if you have it there - in the water - for more than 90 continuous days.
- - Registration is a dual process. If your boat is NOT Federally (USCG) documented, the registration involves getting a Florida Title for the boat - and - Florida "numbers" and a current year "decal" that are to be displayed on the hull of the boat.
- - If your boat is USCG documented then you MUST register your boat and you will NOT get a title and you will NOT get any Florida numbers - your USCG numbers will be shown in the registration certificate. You WILL get a "decal" for the current year that must be affixed to the vessel and visible to marine officials and others.
- - The display of the "decal" tells the officials that you have paid all appropriate taxes, etc. and they do not need to bother asking you about it. It also tells officials in other States that you are a visitor and have paid your taxes, etc. in Florida.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 08:20   #24

Well trust me the dmv sure has to look it up in their regulations. I have a Fl title (makes it easier to transfer ownership). I do not have the fl registration decal and don't need one. I have been waiting for months for the uscg to update their official documention. Alot slow.
Old 20-12-2010, 19:19   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Quote:
................ If not documented then about 100.00 a year for registration.
I know about the antique car registration but had not tried it on a boat. ................. To answer the person that was confused with documented vessel and antique registration: if it is documented then you do not have to register it.
It's been my long term understanding that vessels in Florida that are documented are required to be registered. The annual sticker is required although registration numbers are not displayed. The antique vessel registration is available for vessels thirty years old or older that have the original propulsion engine.
Old 20-12-2010, 19:24   #26

No registration required according to my dmv dept. It took them a half hour to fiquire it all out.
Old 21-12-2010, 04:34   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No registration required according to my dmv dept. It took them a half hour to fiquire it all out.
I think it took them a half hour because the're lacking some skills. All vessels, including those documented, require registration in Florida unless they are under 16' without a motor. You may receive a citation if you cruise away from your local area. I was cited and fined once in Volusia County for having my Florida registration sticker expired on my documented vessel when I returned from the Bahamas.
Old 21-12-2010, 11:31   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"All vessels, including those documented, require registration in Florida unless they are under 16' without a motor."

KEY WORD: MOTOR.

Florida doesn't care if your boat is documented or not. Dinghy or barge. If it HAS A MOTOR and is a MOTOR VEHICLE, Florida generally wants it to have registration numbers so they can locate the drunk who ran it into someone else.

Whether you pay, what you pay, how you display them, all may vary. But in general if it HAS A MOTOR and is a VEHICLE, Florida wants to know about it.

The rest is all insignificant details that change from time to time but are documented on Florida's many excellent web sites. For a state where none of the kids can pass standard grade testing, it is marvelous how well they've put everything on line.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 11:53   #29

Boat: Hans Christian 33
A bunch of drunk and dumb southern folk huh?

I don't know many states that don't require a boat registration on a documented boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Florida generally wants it to have registration numbers so they can locate the drunk who ran it into someone else.

For a state where none of the kids can pass standard grade testing, it is marvelous how well they've put everything on line.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 13:18   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Please don't drift away to malign all the children in the state or offend. Certainly, all states have policies to register vehicles and vessels.

Tags
taxes