Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2022, 17:37   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transporting a boat from Australia to Portugal

As P&J said.. the boats tend to be better looked after and when wintered are stored on shore often in boat sheds where the owners can keep them in good repair.
The Med has a lot of boats yes but, often they are sunburnt, tired and neglected.. plus you pay the Med Dividend.
For some reason folk think location adds value.. like the UK, the same boat in the Solent is worth sometimes a few thousand more than one in Scotland.. even if the one in Scotland is in better nick.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 18:23   #17

Boat: 45f5
Re: Transporting a boat from Australia to Portugal

You do see Aussie flagged boats for sale in the Med/Europe from time to time. Quite few look really good. I can think of one straight up.
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 18:23   #18

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

freight sounds very reasonable to me - but this is completely dependent upon size / type of boat

we need more info fm OP please !

in meantime agree with earlier comments : aussie is an expensive place to buy a boat. generally you will do much better to buy in europe - or almost anywhere else for that matter !

cheers,
Old 13-06-2022, 20:25   #19
JJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroAraujo View Post
Hi everyone,

I live in Perth Australia but planning to cruise around Europe next year.

I will be travelling with my family and my youngest child will be 2y.o. We want to buy and customise a boat to make it safer for the kids and ideally we would like to buy the boat here so we can prepare the boat for the trip in advance.

I have contracted a freighting company and they quoted me $25000 (USD) to ship it to a port in the UK. Is there a more economical way to transport a boat from Australia to Europe?

Thank you in advance.
What will be the cost of a delivery skipper??
JJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 00:54   #20

Boat: Leopard 46.Sold. Amel Super Maramu 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroAraujo View Post
Hi everyone,

I live in Perth Australia but planning to cruise around Europe next year.

I will be travelling with my family and my youngest child will be 2y.o. We want to buy and customise a boat to make it safer for the kids and ideally we would like to buy the boat here so we can prepare the boat for the trip in advance.

I have contracted a freighting company and they quoted me $25000 (USD) to ship it to a port in the UK. Is there a more economical way to transport a boat from Australia to Europe?

Thank you in advance.
Hello I have a 2002 Amel Super Maramu with 1730eng and 211Gen hrs For Sale in Sardina, VAT PAID. the boat has been used very little.
Yes maybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 02:58   #21

Boat: Volkscruiser

Pedro I would rather put the money into this Bavaria near Lisbon, rather than wasting the money in transporting.
I am really not sure what modifications you are thinking about making the yacht safer for a two year old? But you only need an afternoon to wrap the netting around the lifelines. That would be the only kid friendly modifications we have ever made on our yachts. Swimming lessons and confidence around the water are the best things you give a two year old on a yacht.

Cheers
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7-bed1c650ca41
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 03:53   #22

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice. Buying in Europe seems the sensible thing to do and getting attached to a particular boat doesn’t
PedroAraujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 04:14   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Transporting a boat from Australia to Portugal

Vat on resale in Europe will only apply if the buyer is a EU tax resident. Plenty of boats in my local brokerages here are being sold ex vat. This is not the sellers concern

Secondly the choice in Croatia Greece etc is much greater then in Northern Europe , brokers there are actually shipping boats from the eastern med because they have nothing to sell.

Secondly northern European boats aren’t fitted with systems needed for the Med , especially big biminis and solar arches and panels yet boat pricing will be similar yet these can cost 5-10 k to add. These was exactly the case when I looked in 2020 in the U.K. France and Greece , pricing was very similar but the Northern Europe boats needed upgrades for the med

Greece is s great place to look especially corfu and Lefkada /preveza , 1000s of boats all med equipped and it’s a nice place to stay for a week or two while looking

Don’t bother with Northern boats in my opinion. Water dies more damage then sun anyway

I bought in Greece on Lefkada, in 2020 after trawling through the U.K. French , Croatian and Greek markets , very happy with the purchase in Greece , the broker was Irish , but knew his way around ( living in Greece for 16 years ) good local surveyors , chandleries and all the marine services you want are here.

A good time to visit is late autumn , apartments can be had for 350 euros a month , car hire is 50 week and buyers are keen to sell before they consume winter costs.
Old 14-06-2022, 05:18   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Sounds dirt cheap. I got a USD 100,000 price to ship a 47' cat from Grand Bahama to Hawaii. My son's 45' sloop was well over USD 25,000 just from France to Florida.
That’s is unrealistically cheap. I have been following & getting quotes from qualified yacht transporters since 2020 (due to COVID) from BRISBANE to West Coast MEXICO or Ft. LAUDERDALE well north of USD65K with EUROPE even higher.
TDB1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 06:45   #25

Boat: Leopard 384

I have a 2012 Leopard 39 catamaran for sale in Preveza, Greece - check out the ad for MOKA at yachthub.com
Extensively refurbished, great for a family and fun to sail.
Cheers, Roger
Tall Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 06:50   #26

Boat: Moody 42 CC ketch

Ann

I'd agree with buying in Northern Europe if poss - although of course it depends what you are after, and your budget.

My reasons would be
1. Sun damage to non-med boats will be less.
2. All the "quality" brands (Najad, Halberd Rassey, Rustler, etc etc) are all northern European.

Lots of good yards in southern Europe for Work, though.

Cate
Noisykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 12:54   #27

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

How about a show of hands from those who think the shipping coast will ultimately run over $40,000. I have never heard of shipping a boat like that for that cheap. It cost $40k-$60k to get one from Europe to the WC of the US.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 13:21   #28
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisykate View Post
Ann

I'd agree with buying in Northern Europe if poss - although of course it depends what you are after, and your budget.

My reasons would be
1. Sun damage to non-med boats will be less.
2. All the "quality" brands (Najad, Halberd Rassey, Rustler, etc etc) are all northern European.

Lots of good yards in southern Europe for Work, though.

Cate
But most of those brands end up in the med, not to mention Hanse , Bavaria , jenneaux are all “ Northern “ European too.

The damp and rain do far far more damage then the sun. Buying in the med will get you a Med equipped boat for the same price as a non equipped boat selling in Northern Europe

Choice will be greater in the med too.
Old 20-06-2022, 16:02   #29

Usually, in the EU, if you can prove that VAT was paid originally (or when it was imported into the EU), you won't have to pay it again.
You could pay someone to sail it TO Europe. A friend of mine, currently in StMaarten might be interested. He, an ex-merchant seaman/helmsman, sailed a small yacht from Ireland to there.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 23:25   #30

Boat: Ferrari. Enzo 11mtr cat

Go on u tube and look for sailing SV Wave, a kiwi family that bought an ex charter Bavaria in Croatia and sailed it round the med then home! Best of luck
FerrariSailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, boat, Portugal