Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2012, 11:29   #16

Re: UK Citizen Purchasing Sailboat in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Interesting. When I purchased my most recent boat I moored and registered in RI but called FL to discuss requirements in case I brought the boat to FL. They told me if the boat stayed in FL more than 90 days no matter what my state of residence I would have to pay a FL registration. They were happy to mail the paperwork to RI to get the money.
yeah... it's like a catch 22.. that's what I thought, and then when I tried to register they said I needed an address in FL. Fortunately I have friends there and used theirs....? I guess otherwise you could just register in the lowest tax state you could find,,...?

re: UK VAT:
I thought the VAT was only required if it was located there?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 12:09   #17
cruiser

Very nice all these suggestions, but the OP question was; UK Citizen Purchasing Sailboat in California

As a non US citizen i am also interested in the OP's question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
yeah... it's like a catch 22.. that's what I thought, and then when I tried to register they said I needed an address in FL. Fortunately I have friends there and used theirs....? I guess otherwise you could just register in the lowest tax state you could find,,...?

re: UK VAT:
I thought the VAT was only required if it was located there?
CeesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 16:56   #18

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

We were told the VAT depends on where it is flagged by three different sources. We could flag it elsewhere if the local requirements were met, which vary from country to country.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...raft/DG_180594
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 17:14   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
In FL it's more like Catch $220.00.

Wish it was a case of register in the cheapest state but here's what I ran into. Have residence RI and FL. Bought the boat in NY but initially moved it to RI and did USCG documentation but RI requires the boat to be registered there (to get the money of course) so I register the sailboat, dinghy and separately, as required in RI, the dinghy's outboard (??).

But thought I would check with FL on their rules as I was considering the ICW commute, summer NE winter in FL. FL told me in no uncertain terms that if the boat was here more than 90 days I had to pay FL registration no matter where my home address. RI then informed me that if I took a FL registration that I would lose my RI registration. What happens I ask RI when I come back in a few months, same calender year, I can just pick it back up? No way they say, I have to re-register and pay all over again. Same story in FL. So depending on the timing of moving the boat north and south I could end up paying registration 3-4 times each year. Now that's catch 22.

Not sure what would have happened with the mailing address issue as I ended up hauling the boat and haven't been back in the water for 2 years so I'm not paying anybody. At least there's one upside to rebuilding a boat. Saved me about a half boat buck so far.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 06:16   #20

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

A couple of things have not been mentioned:

California will want state sales taxes (Around 9 %) depending on the county you buying the boat in. There are ways around that... Take an off-shore delivery and remove the boat from the state within 90 days. A Marine Title person can assist you with this...

You can de-register the boat with the USCG, but obtaining a California State Boat Registration will but you back in the tax circle, so you definitly want to consider documenting the boat in another country or registering it in a US State with favorable tax laws.

If you are taking a loan to purchase the vessel, the loan company will most likely demand the vessel be documented, especially since you will be traveling internationally. They will want a means to take possession of the boat if you fail to pay your mortgage.

Finally, as suggested previously, if you have troubles getting into the USA to take possession of your vessel you can arrange the title transfer through a Marine Title Office and then have the boat delivered to Mexico. You didn't say where it ws located, but assuming it is in South California a delivery skipper would charge less than $700 to take it to Ensenada, Mexico....

Good luck!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:26   #21

Ok. Have found company in US to deregister US vessel and sort out bill of sale. Can register on SSR in UK on line but there is no hull identification number? Is this a problem.?not sure my 1925 gaff cutter had one either but she was on the ssr.

have Escrow in place.

As well as HIN issue I am concerned about getting B1/B2 visa and cruising permit. Thoughts please.

Back up plan is to buy return flight as suggested and get in with visa waiver but would customs stop me if I try and sail out. besides, still need cruising permit no? What is required?

How far off shore must I sail to be outside US waters? Could go out with two boats and transfer US skipper onto other vessel to return back and I go onto Mexico?

Back up is to charter a US skipper to deliver boat to Mexico?

Meanwhile, moorings in California seem very expensive. Should I expect cheaper moorings in Mexico, Rio Dulce, Panam, Trinidad where I could move her to before commencing works.

Thoughts gratefulky apprecuated as always.

Thoughts very kuch appreciated as always.
Yachtboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 21:52   #22

Boat: Rafiki 35

I'm not a us citizen, bought my boat in Fl that was uscg documented, no problem to register it in FL. I used a very efficient agent that charged mei i think 150$. she hanled all the paperwork and mailed me a title and registration. PM if yuo want her details.
mikogold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 21:56   #23

forgot to add very important! it is very important that the seller is the same person that appears in th uscg registry, you can check that online if you know the boat uscg#.
otherwise it gets very complicated to erase the boat from uscg documentation as only the owner in their registry can do that
Old 05-08-2012, 05:49   #24

Dear Mikogold.

Thanks for your reply.

Wondering if you how you went about getting cruising pernit get the boat out of US. Aksi did u need a b1/b2 visa to get into US as foreign citizen.

Thanks.
Yachtboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 17:03   #25

since my country is not part of the visa waiver program I have a tourist visa to enter. there is no need of cruising permit, the boat is registered in FL and I pay around 200$ a year for the registratoion. I never had any trouble entering so far, but you only need one agent on a bad day to ruin your plans. I have a friend that can cross the boat to bahamas as my backup plan.
Again, i would recomend you to contact Malissa, the agent that helped me, she had all the right info and saved me a lot of time ad hassle.
Old 05-08-2012, 17:05   #26

as for takin the boat out of the us there is no problem, you are supossed to mail the i-94 form to them when you leave but there is no permit required you just leave. with the title and registration you can sail wherever you wont

Tags
california, purchasing, sailboat