Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2022, 14:10   #46

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: UPDATE: Reduce Offer After Survey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_R View Post
Sadly, we walked. As repairs continued, it appeared that more of the keel had been damaged in the past, and we were not able to agree on the nature of the repairs needed.

So we're looking again.
It would be more sad had you purchased it and found that it is in need of significant amounts of additional repair! You made the call and it sounds like you did plenty to try to make it happen.
glanrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 14:46   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_R View Post
Sadly, we walked. As repairs continued, it appeared that more of the keel had been damaged in the past, and we were not able to agree on the nature of the repairs needed.

So we're looking again.

Dave - any guidance for future folks? Usually, the buyer foots the cost for the haul, which bleeds into lay-days if not immediately re-launched. This was an interesting situation so I wonder what type of arrangement buyer and seller made while repair was evaluated. Anything you did that worked well, or would do differently?

Good luck on your search.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 15:15   #48

Boat: Hunter 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Dave - any guidance for future folks? Usually, the buyer foots the cost for the haul, which bleeds into lay-days if not immediately re-launched. This was an interesting situation so I wonder what type of arrangement buyer and seller made while repair was evaluated. Anything you did that worked well, or would do differently?

Good luck on your search.

Peter
I paid for the survey and survey haul-out, as customary. The seller was committed to a repair, in any event, since he knew any future purchase would require the repair. So the seller is on the hook for the days in the yard. So my "damage" is only the customary costs of walking, post survey.

What would I do different? Not much. I was hoping the seller would do the comprehensive repair that I thought was required. Perhaps what I could have done differently was define that sooner. Unfortunately, we had to do the "grind out' part of the repair before we could see what was involved. And that's where the disagreement was manifest.
Dave_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 15:47   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

don't be sad here....be happy......very happy....you dodged a big one.....

that's the whole point of a haulout and survey...I dunno who your surveyor was, but I'd get a new one for the next looksee...

I had a very similar case in my boat search....once the boat was out, my eyes could easily tell something was wrong...yacht broker was trying to put a good spin on it...but I had seen enuff....stopped the surveyor as well, told him I was prepared to pay for his time, but no report would be required.....saved quite a bit.....sure...I had to bite the bullet on the haul....and partial survey...but simply asked that the boat be dropped back in the water as I would be heading home...

next boat I saw was 1,000 times in better condition....and I ended up buying it....

so you will likely come across a much better deal...so be happy...you got something to look forward too...consider this a small fee on your path of experience....you learned something valuable....it's money well spent....

Finally, don't forget, the day will come when you'll want to sell and you don't want to be explaining away repairs...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer, survey