Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2011, 10:49   #1

We want to see some boats!

Hello! We have been planning to become liveaboards for 7 years now. We have our house on the market and once it sells will be moving to Florida. Financially we are ready now to buy a boat and maintain it until such a time as we can move onto it, which if we fell in LOVE we might do early. Regardless we spend countless hours pouring over yachtworld.com and arguing about boats and their merits... and besides keeping the dream alive it is a colossal waste of time. The answer every Salty gives us is YOU HAVE TO GET ON THEM. Ok. So. We have trip planned to stay with my Father-n-law in Palm Beach, FL in mid April. We would like to be introduced to a broker who will gladly take us around to look at some boats in the $75,000 to $125,000 range.

Any recommendations on a patient and liveaboard friendly broker?
azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 08:33   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: We want to see some boats!

Welcome to the forum azure.
I don't know any brokers, but walking the docks will be amazing.
Have fun.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 08:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: We want to see some boats!

Greetings and Welcome to CF Azure.... looks like your in for some serious hiking... wear good walking shoes that dont leave marks... and definitely no hard heels.. murders the decks..
Have fun....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 08:55   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

If he sells used Valiants in Palm Beach run the other way.
Finding a good broker is like finding a good boat, ya gotta walk around and kick a few and see what or who can stand up to it.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 10:09   #5

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

My advice is to try to identify in better detail what you want, sloop, ketch, center cock pit, heavy safe etc. in as much detail as you can, forget the broker until you have narrowed down your list. A dollar amount is a good start. I have a boat but I still check ebay to see who is selling what and for how much. Once you have narrowed your search you can do all kinds of research to see what others say about it. Things a lying broker won't. Blister problems, leaky decks, poor sailing characteristics etc,.
Hope this helps.....
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 11:13   #6

Well. We know we want a monohull sailboat with a pilot house with the functioning indoor helm/steering station. Fiberglass. I need 2 cabins and a work room, or 2 cabins and a bunk we can convert into a work bench. We are fix-it-uppers and run an aerial photography biz with R/C helicopters and need the bench for builds and tune ups, and the nav station wont cut it. 40ft min - 50ft max

We will be raising our daughter on it so I want to feel homey. We love the woodwork in Spindrifts and Formosas, and being fix-it-uppers wouldnt mind the maintenence...but there are also Bruce Roberts, Moody's, Coopers, the list goes on and on. This is where actually getting ON them is what we need to do, as well as the further research if we fall in love as advised in the comments here.

Is it acceptable to simply call the number and ask to view the boat without representation of a broker? Like this one is about 20 minutes from where we will be staying: 1986 Nauticat PH Motorsail Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 25-02-2011, 11:27   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post
Is it acceptable to simply call the number and ask to view the boat without representation of a broker? Like this one is about 20 minutes from where we will be staying: 1986 Nauticat PH Motorsail Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
The broker that is advertising that boat is counting on you calling direct without prior representation, just like a house. The listing broker will get full commision if you purchase direct, otherwise it's a split commision deal. If the listing broker is any good, they'll show you this boat, and as many more just like it as you're interested in seeing.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 11:30   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post
If it were me, and I was inclined to fall in love with that Nauticat (GREAT boat, BTW), I'd arrange for a time where I could spend at least for an hour knocking around the boat. Set up an appointment, and let them know that you're coming in from out of town to look at this boat specifically. Once you get there, let them know that you'll also be looking at a few other boats.
Old 25-02-2011, 11:32   #9

Excellent point Sailmonkey. Thanks Everyone!