Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2017, 06:30   #16

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner
Re: Westmarine is insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrchr1 View Post
With the sale going on today (I'm pretty sure it was nationwide, not local) they have some ridiculous deals. The two that stand out were 40% off all sta-set line and BOGOF all Lewmar Winches! I'm really pissed I will likely be getting a boat with non self tailing winches in about 6 months to a year. I hope that particular item is a regular sale!
I think they are having a huge sale on epirbs too
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 06:35   #17

We're near Defenders as well. We shop at both. There are some things that are cheaper at Defenders, while others at West Marine. You can't beat West Marine's selection of ss hardware. In Defenders, ss hardware is non-existent.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 06:52   #18

Boat: Currently in between

I went into the WM on US19 in Tarpon Springs and was shocked at how cheap they had rod n reels. Shocked because it wasn't what I expected.

As others have said, shop around, they may actually be the best deal going but then again, maybe not.
Old 17-03-2017, 06:54   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

The company has some sort of internal/external (size, business model, etc.) problems and this translates to prices. It is very difficult to lead a big broad and well developed chandlery business.

Buy elsewhere. It is better for the market if the companies that do not match the era fall soon. Makes space for other players.

The challenge for us consumers is if we promote this attitude then there are many new companies and these are known to be not all that good when we want to get our warranty executed.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 07:05   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
I went into the WM on US19 in Tarpon Springs and was shocked at how cheap they had rod n reels. Shocked because it wasn't what I expected.

As others have said, shop around, they may actually be the best deal going but then again, maybe not.
Yes, WM is odd with their pricing, I think they have and or are going the way of Harely shops, in that the real money is in "lifestyle" items, they really want to sell you a Yeti cooler or pair of shoes or other clothing, name brands of course.
However if you know what stuff costs, you can run into some really good deals every now and again, just give the lifestyle stuff a pass.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 07:57   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post

Also try https://www.fisheriessupply.com I have got some really good prices from them..
I stopped buying from Fisheries after they started collecting sales taxes on products shipped to California! They have NO Physical presence in California but are playing tax collector for the bankrupt State....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 08:14   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i shop worst marine only when dead.hahahaha
in san diego the alternatives are much better--downwind marine was always good to me. and ace hardware... donot rule them out.
down here there are fiushermen supply places with decent deals. i never stop into blue and white stores. they way too high. and hten there are the prices.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 08:39   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I stopped buying from Fisheries after they started collecting sales taxes on products shipped to California! They have NO Physical presence in California but are playing tax collector for the bankrupt State....
That is beginning to be very prevalent for internet sales by a lot of vendors, Amazon for example
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:20   #24

Boat: Pearson 34-II

We are witnessing the death of "brick and mortar" stores in America. They cannot compete across the board with internet vendors that have significantly less operating expenses. People vote with their dollars. Small business continues to get fewer and fewer votes. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 17-03-2017, 11:52   #25

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

West Marine is our show room. We buy there when the price is best or we can't wait. It helps that we have a branch in our marina. Defender and Fawcette have been good for us. I'll check out the other options, thanks.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:59   #26

Print and show WM the price on line. It may get matched.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 12:18   #27

West Marine will rape you on the "need it now" stuff and I believe they prey on the "don't know any better" shopper. People thinking they have to buy a marine battery from a marine supply store. Nope, Autozone has them for half the price. WM gallons of two stroke oil are almost double what I pay at Auto Zone too.

So:
- Defender for general stuff, running rigging, sail specific stuff
- Lowes for stainless screws and hardware
- Genuine dealz for wire and connectors
- Autozone for oil/filters
- Amazon Prime for most everything else
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 12:43   #28

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

West marine for electronics, and want now stuff. Also, their sales are generally very good. Just stocked up on dock lines at 40% off, and am a gold member with triple points weekend, so get another 12% back in west marine points coupons.

I've also returned things that either didn't work as expected, including some Sperry sailing shoes that didn't drain water. They took them back and gave full refund. Try returning things you have used to a mail order store or Amazon.

My online do to is defender.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 13:26   #29

Years ago, when I got my first boat I was shocked to see a two color bow light priced $29.99 at WM. As I was a total newbie I almost bought it. But luckily a more knowledgeable buddy told me to check out the marine section at a local Walmart. Sure enough same light by Perko was $12.99 there. Price online was under $10 but with shipping would be more than Walmart's price.

WM is pricing itself out of existence. At least on their regularly priced chandlery stuff. In the past 10 or so years I don't think I bought anything there unless it was on 30-40%+ sale or with an orange sticker. Sometimes you luck out and they have 50-75% off of orange stickers. Then I stock up. Once it were 3 pairs of Sperry boat shoes at $14.95 each, final price. Another time it was the bottom paint 50% off - $70 final price. Can't beat that deal.

Also what I noticed is this. There used to be a WM near where I live, another one is near my mooring area and another one near my winter storage yard. Each one definitely had/has it's "flavor" as far as frequency and the extent of orange sticker sales. Must be the difference in management. There is a 4th WM on the way to my boat, kind of half way between my mooring area and my home. That one is the most recent one and has no orange sticker sales to speak of. And while their chandlery section is large their lifestyle section is so much larger and the sales people are nautically challenged for the most part. Except of course if you ask them about stand up paddle boards.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 14:03   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

For me I'm glad West Marine is around. They are a great convience.

First because they are a huge pile of spare stuff and don't have to buy and have around "just in case." Like a macerator pump that went bad, but they had one in stock. So here I am in some port I've never been to before and the macerator goes bad. No other macerator for 50 miles and I have no car. So yeah, paid the premium gladly and consider it a bargin to have them carry the cost of storage, just in case I need one.

Second, our home port used to be in Delaware. If I needed something I could get it shipped to me, maybe I'd have to pick it up or have the chance it would be stolen from our front door. Then there is the cost of shipping. OR I couldn have WM deliver it to my store, in DE, no tax, no shipping, and they hold it for me until I go past it on the way to the boat. It was often cheaper and far more convenient to use WM.

I'm glad they are around and was sorry when they closed the second store near our marina.

By the way, there is NO WM Philadelphia. That right there tells you it is NOT a great town for sailing, despite the Delaware River.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine