Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2011, 10:46   #136
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: What Will Happen to Boat Pricing when Euro Is Under Par to US$ ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
The Dear Leader will be sadly missed; by all his Toadys, Sycophants and boot lickers, The general population, not so much.
I am not so sure about the last bit, he and his father were sold to them as almost god like figures - and even in the west we know that sort of stuff still works on some. and with no alternative(s) for many.

Not to say the locals won't later look back and think to themselves (or maybe even say!)........WTF??!!

Be interesting to see how it all pans out - fortunately I am a long way away from any mushroom clouds .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 11:00   #137
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I am not so sure about the last bit, he and his father were sold to them as almost god like figures - and even in the west we know that sort of stuff still works on some. and with no alternative(s) for many.

Not to say the locals won't later look back and think to themselves (or maybe even say!)........WTF??!!

Be interesting to see how it all pans out - fortunately I am a long way away from any mushroom clouds .
They know not what the rest of the world has to offer as they have never seen it ..at least the little Kim has seen part of it and can speak english,maybe he will be a catalist for change...naw Bejing wont let that happen...Boom!
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 12:45   #138

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Both the US and the world learned of the folly of just letting things fail (lehmans) they ensured that the resulting crises did not destroy them, I don't think anyone is going to let the euro fail or the disintegration of the the EU, the shocks could kill the whole western economy. Nope politicians may be fools but there're not lemmings.

Parts of the Eurozone are just like California, ( just with better culture,wine and food or course!!) what we dont have as a result of stupid German concerns is a fed to bail us out, however necessity being the mother..... And all that.

Dave
Not certain whether or not you caught the most recent announcement from the head of the Norwegian bank, Saxco (sp?) who also sees the euro disappearing soon for the reasons I have stated previously combined with the downgrade of the French economy by S&P. While it may be just selective quoting from a source with which I agree, there seems to be a growing sentiment among Europeans that the euro is short lived. It will be interesting to see who is right, Dave... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 18:25   #139

Boat: Seafarer 26
Boy the world is a complex place. You might say who cares what happens in north Korea but this can have a major issue for china. They have been trying to plug the dike of starving people entering china. This could be a major tipping point for the Chinese economy. This in turn could be a good economic shift for the West. I at least hope we have bottomed out in the US.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 18:38   #140

Boat: Able 50

No one has bottomed out.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 18:47   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
Boy the world is a complex place. You might say who cares what happens in north Korea but this can have a major issue for china. They have been trying to plug the dike of starving people entering china. This could be a major tipping point for the Chinese economy. This in turn could be a good economic shift for the West. I at least hope we have bottomed out in the US.
Don't bet on it, DK... I don't believe the US has seen the worst of the economic downturn and recovery yet. I base this on the inability of the Congress to seriously address the debt issue (perhaps it is a structural political problem), we don't have the smartest folks in decision making positions in either party and an apparent void in the publics' understanding of the hard times we must experience to resolve thepersonal and national debt issue. That, combined with a seeming inexhaustible public expectation of entitlement to a miriad of government payments, have doomed this country to cycles of debt and borrowing leading to national bankruptcy. The changes necessary to dig ourselves out of this hole are beyond the social and political ability of the nation, unfortunately. Those who have their boat bought and paid for, a skill to barter with and a desire to live off the grid are the ones who will survive... others will perish or languish quietly dreaming of 'the good old days'. Capt Phil
Old 19-12-2011, 19:21   #142

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Don't bet on it, DK... I don't believe the US has seen the worst of the economic downturn and recovery yet. Those who have their boat bought and paid for, a skill to barter with and a desire to live off the grid are the ones who will survive... others will perish or languish quietly dreaming of 'the good old days'. Capt Phil
Sounds like good advice for everyday living now. At least our new to us catamaran is paid for. I wonder if I could barter my skills of designing nuclear fuel for other countries, but hay I don't want to go out of retirement I guess I'll have to play music, it's like being retired
Old 19-12-2011, 20:02   #143

Boat: Seafarer 26
Well I am not that pessimistic but I do believe our current tax structure is finished both federally, states and locally. The few can no longer support the many. The realestate crisis in Florida has exacerbated the problem of property owners paying most of the state and local taxes. It no longer makes sense to own property unless it is also a business deduction. It does make good sense to live on board a federally documented vessel and pay little if any tax. Our homeowner insurance is almost equal to our yearly property tax. Just outrageous. Now the good news is that you can buy boats very cheaply here. What to do.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 20:06   #144

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Don't bet on it, DK... I don't believe the US has seen the worst of the economic downturn and recovery yet. I base this on the inability of the Congress to seriously address the debt issue (perhaps it is a structural political problem), we don't have the smartest folks in decision making positions in either party
Or maybe a little too smart, escaping prosecution for under the table business.
and an apparent void in the publics' understanding of the hard times we must experience to resolve thepersonal and national debt issue. That, combined with a seeming inexhaustible public expectation of entitlement to a miriad of government payments, have doomed this country to cycles of debt and borrowing leading to national bankruptcy. The changes necessary to dig ourselves out of this hole are beyond the social and political ability want of the nation, unfortunately. Those who have their boat bought and paid for, a skill to barter with and a desire to live off the grid are the ones who will survive...

others will perish or languish quietly dreaming of 'the good old days'. Capt Phil
My parents were born in 1903 & 1911 and could probably tell you of downturns in the USA and has prepared my brothers and I to survive in the event it happens again. In the 1960's they thought it was going to happen. By the 80's, my mother still alive, was worried a little, but theses days are worse then those two periods.

Now we have to worry about china. Every civilian and military person should view this .... ...admire AND fear their commitment (There's serveral great examples for photographers on how to capture a mental attitude.)

¾üÊÂ--ÈËÃñÍø
Their quality of craftsmanship is slowly catching up but they have a lot more people to waste.
Old 19-12-2011, 20:19   #145

+1, delmarrey... cheers, Capt Phil
Old 19-12-2011, 23:39   #146

Don't be too smug about live aboard status. Prior to meltdown they'll try to find a way to tax you. But the big concern will be hyperinflation and the fed speeds up the presses as nobody wants to pay taxes or buy US junk bonds!!
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 04:01   #147

Gollygosh ! Maybe they'll demand that everyone surrender their gold.
Old 20-12-2011, 04:58   #148
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Gollygosh ! Maybe they'll demand that everyone surrender their gold.
Or the people who have bought paper gold find out it either doesn't exist or is owned by someone else........with more mojo than you .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 05:03   #149

That might explain Austin Powers' mojo problem.

Yeah baby !
Old 20-12-2011, 09:16   #150
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

having a boat is not going to help,(certainly if it is "documented") and the good times will not return until every country is on the same page...I was just talking to Kim Jung and Elvis and they seem to think something is about to come around that has not been seen in a long time..Unless you volunteer your boats(Documented)and life to your country you wont be doing any "pleasure"sailing..you will be working in a muintions factory...Capt Phil is right, this is beyond any of us ..run you fools!...well its to late for running, should have done that already..I dont understand why people dont realize we are in the middle of WWIII...when a cowboy enters the white house and he didnt win the vote you have got to at least suspect something ...And I am a republican,we are a little slow but we come around eventualy...hope I am wrong....nah...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote