Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2011, 20:46   #121

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: What Will Happen to Boat Pricing when Euro Is Under Par to US$ ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Really? I teach seminars in Europe all the time, and I find the wines to be completely disappointing compared to our home-grown Californians.

We get by with home grown Australian wines which certainly hold their own with any.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 21:02   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I took the opportunity to source a few el cheapo Zinfandels to bring back with me to Oz last visit. Didn't dare get drunk at Venice Beach, though at Marina del Rey there wasn't anyone there to notice.

On reflection, on the cheaper end of the red market, I'd have to give a points decision to the Zinfandels.

I tried a few cheap plonks in France quite a while ago. Still remember that they weren't to my taste.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 21:03   #123

Boat: Able 50

There's a reason they call it " vin ordinaire ".
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 07:16   #124

Boat: mt34dt

Make mine a Rioja!
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 07:20   #125
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Both the US and the world learned of the folly of just letting things fail (lehmans) they ensured that the resulting crises did not destroy them, I don't think anyone is going to let the euro fail or the disintegration of the the EU, the shocks could kill the whole western economy. Nope politicians may be fools but there're not lemmings.

Parts of the Eurozone are just like California, ( just with better culture,wine and food or course!!) what we dont have as a result of stupid German concerns is a fed to bail us out, however necessity being the mother..... And all that.

Dave
I think the Germans are right to have stupid concerns - concerns about stupid Eurozone Nations. If the Eurozone printed the money to pay off all the debts of Greece (or any other broke nation) then it don't take 2nd sight to see that they would carry on and do exactly the same as they did before . With exactly the same consequences .

IMO the Germans are heading in the right direction, and dragging the French along (they can't afford not to do as told) - followed by the other Eurozone members who in practice also have no choice.

Vital to set the long term objectives / rules of the Eurozone - and (IMO) rather than trying to prevent countries getting into (future) financial problems (which would never succeed 100%), the rules should be set to deal with countries when (not if) they f#ck up. Freedom to f#ck up is a good thing (Politically and economically).

Simple enough to suspend folk from the Eurozone who fail to meet the requirements of membership, if all agreed in advance (i.e. take away any votes / influence within the Eurozone itself - and also cease any Eurozone specific financial support .....there is the EU or IMF for that ....at that point a country can still use the EURO (like some countries do with the US Dollar), but in practice would be better off floating (sinking ) own currency.....and for that every Eurozone country should have an exit plan (agreed with the ECB, every year). I really don't see that a Country (or 2) leaving the Euro really matters when the reasons are clear - in fact only a good thing for the Eurozone.

Once the rules of the game are set, then that is the time to turn the printing presses on - turbo style (for the present mess). Who really cares if the Euro becomes worth 50% less against the Dollar or the Yuan........apart from the Americans and the Chinese soon be back up.

IMO the Cameron position at the recent summit was short sighted stupity personified. I was genuinely shocked that anyone would be that dumb (all he had to do was mumble some warm words - and would still have the veto in the armoury,if the later discussions / horse trading on treaty contents did not suit the UK).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 07:45   #126

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Good points, DOJ, however, the lack of discipline that I have referenced earlier reminds me of my wife trying to herd our cats in to a corner to take a Chrissy card photo. Combine that with a structural inability to enforce rules to operate under formulated by non-elected politico's as well as a flight across the entire Euro members banks of their currency, all bode for financial armmagedon sometime in early 2012. The flight from the Euro to other currencies is growing exponentially in the last quarter of 2011 and will continue unabated with no legal restriction on outflow of the currency. The best the Europrans can hope for is a softer landing when it all craters and the impact will be felt worldwide for years to come. Dave, from goboatingnow and I agree on the problems, issues and levers left to pull but not the timing or outcome. It is a truly facinating discussion, though, and I have truly enjoyed being a part of it,,, cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 07:53   #127

Boat: none...

Euro now at 1.2970

I think the Chinese have too many proeblems of their own to help bail anyone else out . 65 million empty homes, entire empty cities and a economy built on goverment mandated construction- they are heading for a collapse much like the we have had here in the states.

check out this awesome article :
Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: China’s Deserted “Fake Disneyland”; Shanghai Prices Down 40% from Peak, Inventory Clogs Market; Pollyannas Proven Wrong; Implications for US Dollar

History has shown that no bubble - no matter if its tulips, South Seas, Japan, dot com, us housing etc- can ever remain inflated- WITHOUT EVENTUALLY CORRECTING BACK TO AND BELOW THE STARTING PLACE OF THE BUBBLE. not once -ever.

so anyone here for instance with Real estate for instance in China,hong kong,singapore, AUSSIE(doomed), swiss(pick a language,please), canada (hmm vancover especially). prepare for year 2000 pricing. It will happen - it always does.
Please dont tell me "its different here" - because its not. Human Psychology is the same everywhere. And laws of bubbles are exactly the same as laws of gravity.

Now I think I will start looking for a berth for my used catana 47 that I will get this time next year at 40% off.
vegasandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 08:45   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasandre
Euro now at 1.2970

I think the Chinese have too many proeblems of their own to help bail anyone else out . 65 million empty homes, entire empty cities and a economy built on goverment mandated construction- they are heading for a collapse much like the we have had here in the states.

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: China’s Deserted “Fake Disneyland”; Shanghai Prices Down 40% from Peak, Inventory Clogs Market; Pollyannas Proven Wrong; Implications for US Dollar

History has shown that no bubble - no matter if its tulips, South Seas, Japan, dot com, us housing etc- can ever remain inflated- WITHOUT EVENTUALLY CORRECTING BACK TO AND BELOW THE STARTING PLACE OF THE BUBBLE. not once -ever.

so anyone here for instance with Real estate for instance in China,hong kong,singapore, AUSSIE(doomed), swiss(pick a language,please), canada (hmm vancover especially). prepare for year 2000 pricing. It will happen - it always does.
Please dont tell me "its different here" - because its not. Human Psychology is the same everywhere. And laws of bubbles are exactly the same as laws of gravity.

Now I think I will start looking for a berth for my used catana 47 that I will get this time next year at 40% off.
Good point well made.

Makes me laugh how everybody just assumes that all 26 countries will get the new treaty through their own parliaments. The germans have not got Europe quiet yet. Last laugh could be at Sarcozy if the deal is not ratified as France is high on the bond hit list.
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 09:33   #129
cruiser

Haven't been here lately and I thank you all for financial education I didn't receive in school. I hope the more optomistic of you are correct and things eventually find a new equilibrium without violent uprisings. Due to my own ignorance and bad choices my only boat is a Rhodes Bantam and even she is not seaworthy at this moment. Like so many (most) others on earth I'm just a leaf blowing about in the winds of change with not a clue how to change my situation. I guess I better get Banti ready as a fishing boat as if nothing else here in SW Florida we have fish and fruit to survive and won't freeze to death in the dark ......

Cheers!
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 11:19   #130
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBrookster View Post
Good point well made.

Makes me laugh how everybody just assumes that all 26 countries will get the new treaty through their own parliaments. The germans have not got Europe quiet yet. Last laugh could be at Sarcozy if the deal is not ratified as France is high on the bond hit list.
There is (now) no EU Treaty to ratify. Problem solved

An agreement between Eurozone members is all that is required (and as long as it doesn't discrimate against the non Euro countries then all is good - anyone can sign up to being financially responsible, if they want to ) whether it is called a Treaty is immaterial, it's not an EU Treaty (some countries may nonetheless feel they have to ratify - but that's up to them....the Eurozone train can leave without them - even if they still use the Euro).

It may well still be like herding cats even with only the 17 Eurozone members - but the Germans have a big carrot to use (turning the ECB printing presses on - which if done intelligently (no guarantee of that ) will guarantee that each country will be able to handle it's debts).......and a big stick (Germany leaving the Eurozone - and taking some others with it. Wouldn't even need to change currencies!......The Euroaxis anyone? ).

The alternative is endless bailouts for which the money is simply not there (even printing money has an end by date - as the Germans found out pre-war........and IMO that haunts them far more than the later Nazi stuff ).

Anyway, back to the refurb thread!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 12:32   #131
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasandre View Post
Euro now at 1.2970

I think all of this is war(economic) on the Chinese..this will show them that they cant have their cake and eat it too...they will either get in line (stop fixing their currency rate) or suffer..and it is about to begin hurting them as they are strung out on white appliances and other modern eminitys...if they dont come around we will cut off the electric and turn them into cavemen..yeah thats right...DVC ps. they have already said that their reserves are for them,not to bail out other countrys sounds like they have already taken the first hook,now we will wait a while and then set it...the point of no return...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 19:03   #132

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow

That's because as a new worlder you're pallette cannot possibly have the genetic stock to appreciate our wines. No sorry not possible .....I mean come on Screw caps,,,never catch on
Oh come now... Some of our best wines come in cardboard boxes with plastic lines and a remarkable spout....not screw caps....roll eyes ;-)

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 09:25   #133
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I think all of this is war(economic) on the Chinese..this will show them that they cant have their cake and eat it too...they will either get in line (stop fixing their currency rate) or suffer..and it is about to begin hurting them as they are strung out on white appliances and other modern eminitys...if they dont come around we will cut off the electric and turn them into cavemen..yeah thats right...DVC ps. they have already said that their reserves are for them,not to bail out other countrys sounds like they have already taken the first hook,now we will wait a while and then set it...the point of no return...
Kim Jung Ill is dead ...let the show begin...comsomneda!
Old 19-12-2011, 10:22   #134
Marine Service Provider

Havel(good) then Kim(bad)..to hell with boat pricing,what will happen to food pricing?
Old 19-12-2011, 10:33   #135

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Kim Jung Ill is dead ...let the show begin...comsomneda!
The Dear Leader will be sadly missed; by all his Toadys, Sycophants and boot lickers, The general population, not so much.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote