Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 02:14   #16
Marine Service Provider

But Cooper, isn't your government also telling you "we are one of the cheapest countries in the world for petrol". Ours is and you are a smidgen cheaper there than us today so you must be happy as larry, surely
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:18   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
The USA price will hit 200 a barrel in the very near future.
Not so sure bout that. Was listening to a couple of economists this morning and they think the pendulum may swing back soon. The price is all about the fact that Gold dropped and the oil looked a better investment. But now the US is coming out of winter, the reserves are quite high and the market may not be there to buy the stuff. So somewhere along the line, someone has to actually sell some to continue keeping the price up. If the demand drops and no one wants to pay, then it may go down again and they invester's will bail out and back into some other commodity like Gold perhaps again.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:19   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
"we are one of the cheapest countries in the world for petrol"
Maybe one of, but the list is short.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:34   #19

Sure....but it dont matter.......gents we dont own the oil fields..... it is a bit silly to talk about this in terms of tomorrow. One thing that we have all agreed upon is that it is a finite resource. What we need to do is EXCEPT that oil will get more expensive. Gold has a value in practical terms as an electronics product. But be careful if gold starts going up big time, then it means that currency is no longer believed in. Paper money, countries individual money, becomes unreliable. Solid assets like gold diamonds etc go up in value. It has always been the way. The end of this stupid game is food, warmth shelter. the ultimate trading chips . they will be the commodities that will be the most important. I am not trying to be a doom sayer. It is not even close to that, but it is such a foolish thing to continue to pretend that these resources will last forever. They are becoming more in demand and will continue to do so. They will run out. Therefore they will become more expensive and will continue to do so.

I am a complete and utter bastard...I want to keep doing my thing and BYPASS this problem.....yeh the techo hipppys...

any thoughts ?
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 13:00   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
One thing that we have all agreed upon is that it is a finite resource.
The cost has no relation to it's finality. If it did, then I would say OK. But it doesn't. The world has found more fields over the recent years. NZ has one big one about to be drilled. But it won't reduce the cost here in NZ. Why?? because it will be sold to the highest bidder, not help NZ reduce fuel cost. All of it will be exported. Crazy.

Old 09-05-2008, 13:28   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
I don't quite get it. You are quibling over 30cents a Gallon???
Not so long ago deisel was .30 a gallon.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 14:05   #22

Boat: Norseman 447
Quote:
. One thing that we have all agreed upon is that it is a finite resource.
Think this is just ******** promulgated by Fuel companies to justify exorbitant prices, latest theory is that oil doesnt come from dead dinosaurs but is being constantly produced, some oilfields that theoretically should have run out years ago are still producing and carbon dating tests show that current production has different age to original product go figure, also in New Zealand they are trying to get fisherman to upgrade tickets so they can drive Oilfield support vessels, doesnt sound like an industry going into decline, I think the peak Oil production myth can be piled onto the Global warming compost heap of half truths and ******** Joe Bloggs get fed with, By the way I dont disagree with climate change it never has and never will be a stable thing
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 14:41   #23

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
. Solid assets like gold diamonds etc go up in value.
any thoughts ?
On the diamonds only:

Diamonds are strictly controlled by a few people who in turn control a few companies that hoard them. The value is all false. If all the diamonds that are in vaults right now came on the market over the - let's just say - next 5 years, a diamond would be worth only a few dollars a carat. I don't have the figures at hand, sorry. Plus they are estimated because those few folks controlling will not say how many they have. Many semi-precious stones are much harder to find (and prettier too) than diamonds. The Russians really messed up the diamond control a number of years ago by finding a lot and putting them on the market. They have since been brought "under control".
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:19   #24

I have bench marked this post....I am interested to see 1/ an overall down wards trend in fuel prices and 2/ that oil is "being made" at a rate that will have a difference to our global needs. Just like most things in life and the internet...if it is to good to be true it probably isnt. Why would they call it "reserves" if it was endless ? here is a government retail fuel price graph. this is an ongoing watch dog so check often and compare. Fuel Graph
...and by the way "the latest research from the internet"...dont bother with the do it home ,you can run your car on water stuff....it takes more energy to separate hydrogen out of water than the energy that you will then gain from the hydrogen itself....

I will personally lick the toe jam out of the feet of someone who can categorically prove that we not using oil at a rate faster than it is being "made".
Old 10-05-2008, 05:55   #25
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I go to the offroad deisel stations, and fill jugs. I only have 2 20 gal. tanks, but I also carry another 40gal. in jugs. I will buy some more jugs next week, and carry a total of 60 gal in jugs. I am anticipating very high cost of fuel in the Bahamas, and the light to non existant winds of summer are coming. Also with the high cost of fuel compared to 2 years ago when I was last out. Will be reason to pull the spinnakers out instead of motoring....LOL
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:10   #26

yep imagine....thats really the practical truth. diesel has gone from 90 cents to 167 cents in six months here......now I would be happy to lay bets that in the next six months that it aint going to be back at 90....whatever the reason....go sailing
Old 18-05-2008, 07:33   #27

Boat: Hunter 280 AliMar
For years I have heard of producing\extracting fuel from coal. I just read about it again this week. The fuel burns cleaner but the process to produce is less so then conventional oil to fuel process. THe US has a huge reserve of coal in the ground, which is used promaily for electric generation, that is not yet been taped. Imagine if the US had started using coal processed to fuel in say, 1976, when I first learned of it. 32 years of independance from imports. Whats the next 32 years going to bring? Hydrogen at this point is good for new vehicals\ motors but what of all the motors already out there? My boat is 12 years old with a life expectancy of FOREVER. My Blazer is now 12 years old with a few more great years in it. Imagine the cost to the working if suddenly the old oil fuel was out lawed?

I'll pay 6.00 US a gallon. 20 gallon tank= 120.00= 1 years motoring, and will keep writng my Senator and congressmen to stop subsidizing BIG oil and start subsidizing the coal industry instead. BIG oil is an international concern where as coal is home grown and can be regulated by goverment. AND they can't screw it up for us any worse then BIG oil.

"If the wind is free then why is sailing so dang expensive?"
Richkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 16:45   #28

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I just paid $4.86/gallon for Diesel in Sausalito, CA

It makes perfect sense why fuel from a boat dock is higher. But yeah, I also think they are not too concerned about turning way their captive audience. The next closest fuel dock for me is in Richmond, CA...about an hour and a half away from the Sausalito fuel dock.
If you paid that in San Francisco, it must be $5.00 here is San Diego...lol
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 23:08   #29
Marine Service Provider

I had to put some in on Sunday from our local fuel dock - US$7.10 a gallon (converted)

Oh the pain.... all 4 gallons or 2 months worth of it
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 16:14   #30

It's has to do with "if they will pay the price, we will continue to charge it". It's just like all other issues of supply and demand. Why does a house on the water cost more than a house without water. D-E-M-A-N-D!!!!!!!!!!! and S-U-P-P-L-Y!!!!!!!!
Heck, I am surprised that marina fuel is as cheap as it is given the fact that you can sail your boat up to the pump at the 7-11!
fullafrisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel