Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2012, 12:50   #1

Year Sailboat Rental

Within the next couple of years I would like to rent a sailboat for a year or so to live in and sail along the intercoastal waterway and perhaps in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico. Is renting a sailboat for an extended number of months something that is done sometimes, or do will I likely need to buy a sailboat?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Bonnie
Bonnie_Bassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 13:04   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Year Sailboat Rental

You'll have to buy one.
Old 31-07-2012, 13:12   #3

Bummer! Thanks for taking the time to let me know Vasco.
Old 31-07-2012, 13:44   #4

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie_Bassett View Post
Bummer! Thanks for taking the time to let me know Vasco.
I've never seen an arrangement like this that can be made to work out.

The problem is in the maintenance. There is simply no way to guarantee that the boat will come back in the condition that the owner expects.

Older monohulls in the 30-35' range are very commonly available, and can be extremely affordable. It's likely you can find a boat like that which would cost less to buy than it would cost to rent someone else's boat.

It's possible (maybe) to find a boat rotting at the dock that can be taken out with some kind of arrangement - for example, you agree to replace an engine or sails or some such thing in exchange for the year's use. This is a way for an owner with an unusable money pit to get a usable boat back in the future. Good luck finding that owner!
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 14:03   #5

Boat: Seaward 22

Good idea Art.

You could make a few rental offers on boats that have been for sale for a while. Worst they can say is no. The issue will be the time and expense getting them up to cruising speed. Then a contract around what happens when things break. They are not going to want to pay. Then there is insurance.....

Might be easiest to buy a very common boat in good shape. Sail it for a year. Keep it in great shape. Then sell it when you are done. Just be prepared for the long time frames.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 20:09   #6

Thank you for your thoughtful responses Art and Oh Drink Boy.

Is there a general thought among sailors related to the age a boat is when it begins to need significant work? I have heard that people often try to buy used cars with less than 75K. Anything similar in the sailboat world?

Bonnie
Old 01-08-2012, 05:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
You could make a few rental offers on boats that have been for sale for a while.
This is what I was thinking. You might be able to talk someone into a long-term rental if they have been trying to sell their boat, but haven't been able to.

This is pretty much uncharted territory, though. It's not something that is "normally done," so you are going to have to move slowly, be very careful, and be certain that EVERYTHING is spelled out clearly in the contract. Definitely NOT a case where a gentleman's agreement and a handshake would be good enough!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:40   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Within the next couple of years I would like to rent a sailboat for a year or so to live in and sail along the intercoastal waterway and perhaps in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico. Is renting a sailboat for an extended number of months something that is done sometimes, or do will I likely need to buy a sailboat?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Bonnie
As already said, not common (if at all) - and IMO certainly not commercially viable (you would have to be charged pretty much the weekly charter rate!).......but, this has cropped up a few times on CF over the years.

Just out of interest, what sort of annual rental and boat size / type / age / equipment level are you thinking about as a rental? - ballpark.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:41   #9

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Thank you for your thoughtful responses Art and Oh Drink Boy.

Is there a general thought among sailors related to the age a boat is when it begins to need significant work? I have heard that people often try to buy used cars with less than 75K. Anything similar in the sailboat world?

Bonnie
10 years is commonly considered the depreciation cutoff. However, that is also the age at which time everything will start to break/wear out.

Basically, a used boat is priced about the same as a new boat minus the cost of immediate repairs, minus the cost of prorated wear and tear, minus some premium for the inconvenience of having to deal with such repairs and maintenance.

If you have a plan to keep your repair costs very low, or find a 10 year old boat exceptionally well maintained, that is the "typical" cutoff point for depreciation.

However, you are still subject to obsolescence. Newer styles have newer features that people will want, and an older boat will eventually reach an age that few people will want it at any price because of it's outdated design.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:07   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I've never seen a long term rental arrangement (and I've worked in the industry a long time). However, the next best thing might be a partnership arrangement. That is much more common. For example, you buy into an existing boat partnership or round up some partners and buy a boat. Makes a lot of sense since even most cruisers don't use their boats all year.

Of course, partnerships are a bit like marriages, they don't all work out.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 13:12   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Please provide info or PM me as to what you are looking for In a boat. And your budget

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:27   #12

Thank you so much for the great feedback Denver, David, Art, Belize, & Snore.

I'm thinking either a 23 foot if I sail alone or a 30 foot if my guy chooses to sail with me. I know I want a reliable little monohaul that I can live in for a year or so but I haven't reserached what I will need to be comfortable yet.

Bonnie
Old 02-08-2012, 07:01   #13

Never heard of rental for that long. Most likely you'll have to buy. I'd rent you my Cape Dory 25D for instance. BUT I'd charge you about the same as I would IF you bought it!! Lots of risk there..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:19   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

23 foot? would be cheaper buying your own and selling after - even if you lose 3/4's of the value.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 04:32   #15

Look on Craigslist in Pensacola or Jacksonville and you will note that there are lots of suitable boats for sale at a price much less than you would pay for rental fees in a year.
saculmot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat, renting