Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2022, 10:44   #1

3D Printing Impellers and other bits

Hello!

I’m curious if anyone has had any experience with 3D printing impellers or other items for boat usage. I’m considering giving it a shot as routine replacement items in my part of the Caribbean are hard to come by at times and I thought it could be a good way to DIY some vital components. Yes, I know these are delicate pieces and should be replaced by OEM etc etc, not really looking for the general “I wouldn’t do that” advice without some technical reasons as to why not, so I’m curious if anyone has had any experience with that or has seen/heard of it being done? Thanks!
Leeench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2022, 11:37   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

TPU the most common semi flexible filament won’t sustain the abuse needed in my view
Old 22-11-2022, 12:22   #3

Re: 3D Printing Impellers and other bits

I'm planning to have a 3D printer on board once I move offshore in 2024. I'm planning mostly to use it for parts that break and I have to jury rig a solution. I don't plan on making flexible parts as they're not really "flexible". Good luck with your plan.
mdhanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2022, 12:38   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhanlon View Post
I'm planning to have a 3D printer on board once I move offshore in 2024. I'm planning mostly to use it for parts that break and I have to jury rig a solution. I don't plan on making flexible parts as they're not really "flexible". Good luck with your plan.

I have a Creality Ender 3 on board which while good isn’t great for flexible as it’s not a “ direct drive “ head

But agree a 3D printer on board is a great great thing to have. Mine is used all the time.

An impeller would be a hard call on the boat I mostly use PETG filament which is robust but has a degree of “ give “ unlike PLA which is very rigid. .
Old 22-11-2022, 13:06   #5

Thank you, this is great feedback! The Creality Ender 3 is top of my list for units so it’s great to hear others are using it. Thanks , any more responses are appreciated and if I have some groundbreaking experience with mine I’ll share!
Leeench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2022, 14:08   #6

I currently have a FlashForge Adventurer 3 but signed up for a Prusa XL a year ago. Looking forward to having a large build volume and 2 heads for multi material printing.
mdhanlon is offline   Reply With Quote