Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2021, 16:53   #76

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: A Cap for Yachting

Sorry, it's a $250 Tommy Bahama booze themed shirt, my wife bought me one for my birthday I use for formal wear at weddings and funerals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shirt.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	239310  
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 17:38   #77

Boat: Grampian 26

I own a sailboat. Rich is no longer in my future. [emoji1063][emoji569]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Ascot I think? Why not, if looking as if you have money, go for it. I've always found the guy on the dock that looks every day may be able to buy everybody.
Nothing to prove or no one to impress.
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 22:41   #78

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
I own a sailboat. Rich is no longer in my future. [emoji1063][emoji569]
Ain't that the truth!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 06:45   #79

I like your device. The hat only soso. The elastic in the black band that carries the device.is probably latex. And fails in a marine environment. The thumbscrews that secure the chin strap rust and die within a year. The metal crown tensioner is prone to rust, staining the white cover. The geometry is good. Reduces sun in the eyes nicely. And aerodynamics are good, wind has to be pretty strong before one would worry about losing hat to the sea. And these hats don't float. Note I live on my boat in low latitudes. A hat living in a weekender boat parked most of the time in a higher latitude marina would have an easier life. But one would expect a hat intended to go to sea to be more seaworthy than what I've seen offered.
CBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 06:51   #80

Off the wet and windy Pembrokeshire coast I prefer a less minimalist head covering.. .. ..b
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FB_IMG_1622209772829.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	239328  
daviddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 06:55   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddb View Post
Off the wet and windy Pembrokeshire coast I prefer a less minimalist head covering.. .. ..b
interesting. The cat ON the hat.
CBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 07:15   #82

I could find a Lion Tamer hat but not one with the correct animal embroidered on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DFC7E3D6-B5A9-4A55-9ADE-D2413B68684D.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	239331  
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 07:19   #83

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
RBC,
Taking your first sentences at face value, and hoping that you are not setting us up for a marketing campaign or scam, I am wondering what you are planning to do with your cap once you are satisfied with it. When and where will you be wearing it? Or is it décor for your reading room? Honestly, I am curious.

Yours is an unusual first post for a new forum member. I mean, you haven't asked which boat you should buy.
you haven't asked which boat you should buy. Thank goodness for that. If I see yet another one I may have to disable my account for awhile.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 07:32   #84

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
anyone around here that wears one of those 'i'm the captain' hat get's laughed at
I was gifted a t-shirt that reads "I'm the Captain. Suck it up." I rather like it but don't wear it on deliveries - I don't want crew or owners to think I take myself too seriously. My favorite shirt reads "People ... Not a Fan."

Hats: Tilley for sun and rain, Greek fisherman's hat mostly worn to boat shows on chilly days.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 07:40   #85

Boat: Owned Irwin Citation 34

Normally do not wear cap but in cold weather it is a wool greek fisherman's cap. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_UX679_.jpg
MSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 07:42   #86

In the early 70s, when they were experimenting with new aramid fibers, a friend @ North Sails Pewaukee gave me some scraps of Fiber B. My then-wife made a hat from it, modeled from an existing hat, and destroyed a pair of scissors and several sewing machine needles to construct it. Fiber B later became Kevlar, and was terrible hard on sewing tools. I still have it, and can attest that it is the fastest hat one will ever find, for it won me a district championship, a midwest qualifier, a shot at the Olympic Trials, and more'n a few moored-at-the-pier finishes @ Mackinac Island. It has a Croakies always attached:

Name:	Atlantic.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	239332
A CheeseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 07:48   #87
rbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarry View Post
I like your device. The hat only soso. The elastic in the black band that carries the device.is probably latex. And fails in a marine environment. The thumbscrews that secure the chin strap rust and die within a year. The metal crown tensioner is prone to rust, staining the white cover. The geometry is good. Reduces sun in the eyes nicely. And aerodynamics are good, wind has to be pretty strong before one would worry about losing hat to the sea. And these hats don't float. Note I live on my boat in low latitudes. A hat living in a weekender boat parked most of the time in a higher latitude marina would have an easier life. But one would expect a hat intended to go to sea to be more seaworthy than what I've seen offered.
Thanks for your thoughts. Your remarks sound like they are from personal experience. I'm in the process of returning to boating. I'll be mostly an inland sailor in the lower Mississippi river valley, with occasional forays into the Gulf of Mexico. I don't expect to deal with salt water too much.
rbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 07:51   #88

Boat: Morgan 382

The best all around hat I have found is a Tilley. Made in Canada, several styles, Life time guaranty even against loss. Great straps so it doesn't blow off. Washable and it FLOATS. I have no affiliation with Tilley, just a very satisfied customer for many years. My go to hat on the water or land.
mud bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 08:03   #89

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarry View Post
You’ve been a member here for over a decade and this is among your very first posts? What about this hat compelled you to break your decade-long silence??

CBarry isn’t alone either, an astonishing number of people with fewer than 40 posts after about a decade worth of membership have chosen this as the topic to jump in on.

Truly odd thread.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 08:39   #90

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Nice work. Although in all my years of boating, I've never seen anyone actually wearing a 'Yacht Cap" except on TV.

Tags
yacht