Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2024, 10:37   #16

Re: AC - worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
offer him max 500$ new this 16000 btu is under 1000€(this is very expensive 1000$ unit) + tax shiping.
look this wit tax shiping,profit off seller,marketing,service(partial)warranty in EU

https://dormaire.com/en/marine-air-c...000BTU-34.html
Will look into it when at the computer, thanks!
anamelo225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2024, 10:42   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamelo225 View Post
The sailing area will be Med/Portugal/Azores
Ah ... well ... then AC is probably worth considering. I can't comment on whether this unit is/isn't worth it. Sounds overpriced.
Foswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2024, 10:54   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you're out the water now, you might install the through-hulls (intake and discharge) now and decide on the exact model later. I would look at different models and decide where and how (more or less) to install and then install the through-hulls. The rest can easily be done with the boat in the water and no rush to decide.

https://www.svb24.com/en/webasto-blu...ater-pump.html is a 16'000 BTU Webasto unit 4575 Euro including most material you need to install it. If you pay 3500 for a used one without everything you need to install I think you are overpaying. Not saying the Webasto above is the cheapest, just the first one I found.
barnab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2024, 11:54   #19
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foswick View Post
... What I might consider is a portable unit that I would use for extended stays at the marina in a particularly hot/humid location.

I had one of those that came with the boat. I used it for several multi-week cruises. Don't do it.

• Loud.
  • Freezes the person sitting under it, and some will drip on them.
  • Need to move it before sailing in brisk conditions, it's bloody heavy, and then where do you put a 60# brick so that it won't shift and smash something? Need to lash it down well in mild conditions.
  • Can leak when it rains.
  • Snags lines.
  • Very power hungry compared to modern installed units.
All bad.
Old 31-05-2024, 15:10   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Given where you're going to be, I would think that you'll all be better off if the kids get used to what you do; they're going to be with you for quite a while. The Med doesn't have the cloying high humidity that one would find in Florida, or the Solomon Islands, and even there, we managed with fans, blowing down on us, and wind scoops.

Ann
Old 31-05-2024, 15:14   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I had one of those that came with the boat. I used it for several multi-week cruises. Don't do it.
I mean ... I wouldn't have AC on my boat at all, so I might not be the right person to comment on this. And, if I did, I wouldn't sail with a portable unit on board. But, I have a small portable unit in my house for the three days of the year that I actually want it. It isn't large, heavy, loud, or leaky.

When I find myself in a location that is so unbearably hot and humid, and it seems likely to stay that way, I go somewhere else.
Foswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2024, 16:06   #22

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. It’s 16000 BTU. Is it still high the price in your opinion?
Sounds high to me too. Defender has a Webasto 16k unit new for $2400. But maybe your used one comes with all ducting and grills, which really add up.

https://defender.com/en_us/dometic-m...t-retrofit-kit

As far as whether you need one, depends a lot on where you are and whether you anchor (generator needed) or stay in marina with shore power.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 03:30   #23

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Hi everyone, how are you?

The local chandlery has a 2nd hand AC that a client gave to him. He’s selling it and I’m considering it as we have two kids onboard (3yo and 4months). Is it worth it? Or do you have other solutions. He’s selling it for 3/3.5k just the equipment and after the price of installation that we’re looking for someone to do it.

What do you think? Should I consider it?

We have a Jeanneau 52.2.
That price seems way high. Compare for example to the price of a new Dometic DTG 16K BTU self-contained unit, and you can often get a discount on those. Or compare that cost to a Citimarine equivalent to the DTG.

I dunno weather there, so can't speak to whether you should or should not install AC... but I can say it makes a big difference where we are.

But then... if the boat is already pre-plumbed for AC (thru-hull, etc.) and pre-ducted and pre-wired... and if the unit could be installed in the same place Jeanneau would have installed it... then proceeding could be reasonably straightforward. Otherwise, too much trouble, get acclimated to the local weather...

-Chris
Old 01-06-2024, 04:08   #24

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. It’s 16000 BTU. Is it still high the price in your opinion?
Here is a brand new, 16,000 BTU marine air conditioner for $2,138 usd. Just one example, there are many others for good quality units in the same price range.

https://www.marinaire.com/Marine-air...p/msba16k2.htm

Yes, the one from your marine chandlery, for 3/3.5k, used, no warranty . . . . . . is WAY over priced!

If you are going to go to the effort (if you install it yourself), or cost (if you pay for a professional install), buy new. Otherwise, you may go to all the effort, or cost, and find that the used, cast off unit doesn't work . . . . . and even if the shop refunds the exorbitant cost you paid, in full, you're out the cost/effort of the install.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 04:27   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

SVB not known for being the cheapest are at least on the same continent as you have a variety of options:

https://www.svb24.com/find?query=air+conditioning

Just wondering if you can get the VAT off it by calling into Gibraltar.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 05:43   #26

Thank you all for the feedback!

Will look today into all the AC options you’ve sent.

With regards to the installation what do you think would be a fair price? (We’re in Europe)

Realistically should I consider installing AC only in the forward/aft berths or is it worth it in the salon as well?

Please if you have AC onboard let me know how do you use it and something that you would change if you would be installing it now.
anamelo225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 06:31   #27

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

Really need more information on what is being offered. Manufacturer, type of refrigerant etc.
price is close to cost of new entry level unit, Dometic etc.
If it is an older, soon to be outdated unit it is not a bargain. As others have said installation cost is significant. Better long term value may be to start new.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 08:07   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foswick View Post
I mean ... I wouldn't have AC on my boat at all, so I might not be the right person to comment on this. And, if I did, I wouldn't sail with a portable unit on board. But, I have a small portable unit in my house for the three days of the year that I actually want it. It isn't large, heavy, loud, or leaky.

When I find myself in a location that is so unbearably hot and humid, and it seems likely to stay that way, I go somewhere else.

Home units can be leaky (rain) and drippy (condensation) to. Generally, though they are better engineered. The real problem is that a boat cabin is probably smaller than the smallest room in your house, bathrooms excluded.

And yes, the San Juan Islands are not an example of places you need AC. I think this thread may be outside of your experience. Think of Florida, where the water temperature can hit 90F in the canals and it can be 85F and dew falling in the middle of the night. It's also funny when Florida sailors join conversations about cold weather sailing ... and they think 60F is cold, when a frozen head is cold.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:11   #29

I found that during the day (sun up) we would run AC in the salon, reducing the load as much as possible with shades. Sleeping cabin doors were kept closed, windows opened, and they were allowed to get hot. Once the sun went down, the load was MUCH less, and we could cool the sleeping cabins by opening the doors and blowing fans. Didn't take that long.

One of the reasons we did it that way was to get a unit small enough we could run off batteries. We could. It also allowed us to run off 15 amp power is some out of the way places (solar supplementing, of course).
Old 01-06-2024, 08:37   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! Can you please share a suggestion of a good AC unit so that I can compare and possibly choose for a better one?
I have good success with Webasco FCF 1600 in 2 of my last 3 boats.Self installed . In one I tapped a existing sea water intake for the cooling pump.Run Hidden insulated ducts with cheap 4inch dia adjustable grilles and you can control the cooled air to where you need it. Make a plan before starting.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote