Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2021, 18:23   #16

Boat: Mariner 36
Re: Advice for a couple of new Day Skippers

You may want to consider the flotilla run by SunSail for the BVI’s. They have a lead boat with a skipper / charter manager and sometimes a mechanic. They have morning briefings to go over the route and the weather. They will also assist when you are trying to get a mooring ball for the first time. Usually around six boats and it’s a great way to meet other sailors. I’ve been sailing for many years but I still book a flotilla on most of my charters. It takes some of the stress out of knowing where to go or not to go! In Greece, my transmission failed and they got a new transmission on a ferry and installed it that night. Good Luck, enjoy your sailing adventure.
Sailor George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 05:13   #17

I'm in similar situation as OP however I have done in last few summers several weeks of family sailing holidays (sailing every day from morning until late afternoon) on inland waters in Europe with boats 27-31 feet long.

Multiple people suggested BVI as a good middle ground before goings to Med and I find this attractive. Does anybody know what's the most reasonably priced way to get to BVI? Is it worth going there for half-term in school, so around 7 days of sailing?
light.traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 05:18   #18

Boat: One Day !

BVI look amazing. But the cost of getting there for a family of 4 is significant.

My thoughts at the moment are to look at Mallorca for next summer which gives us a few months to get a couple more days of boat handling instruction in the UK as well as time to build up some more experience. The savings on getting there compared to the BVI will pay for an extra week's sailing.

Cabrera island looks amazing, love the idea of spending a couple of nights there.
Hodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 10:55   #19

Boat: One Day !

For sure - kids are 15 and 14 and have both got competent crew.

Currently looking at going to Mallorca and putting in a couple of days of boat handling instruction before next summer.

Looking at my log - I've got a total of 46 days on yachts with just over 1100miles covered. That is all as crew/first mate and includes our week long day skipper practical course.
Hodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 12:44   #20

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Mallorca- great place. Spent 12 years based there. Recommend NW coast - Port de Pollensa, Bonaire in Pollensa Bay, Port d’ Alcudia, Colonia de San Pedro, possibly Cala Ratjada, 37 miles from there to Minorca at Ciutadella. All worth a visit. Have fun. Recommend Ramons Bar & Bistro Mar in Port D’Alcudia, Stay restaurant for afternoon tea in Port de Pollensa, Restaurant Playa in Bonaire, Cocodrilo in Bonaire. Also check out the shack at Siller & the Mirador Victoria overlooking Pollensa Bay.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 12:45   #21

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Sorry - that should be the North East coast. Also make the drive out to Formentor lighthouse. Dramatic. The drive & the lighthouse position.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, skipper