Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2019, 09:04   #16

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel
Re: Advice on joining a drug testing Consortium

When I was working my license I used APCA. In over 6 years, I never got called in for a test, but I know of others who did. Luck of the draw!
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 09:12   #17

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

We used to have a drug sniffing dog. We thought it was sort of cute. But eventually he was breaking into parked cars and into our neighbors homes to support his habit. He was in rehab for a long time as he was an old dog.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 10:09   #18

I use The Charterboat Consortium, $50/year. Requires a membership in NACO (National Association of Charterboat Operators) @$65/year.

The Charterboat Consortium - Home
tlavino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 10:30   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 29

If you do work as a captain, then you are required to be part of random testing consortium. I am a member of American Drug Intervention Sysytems 1-800-776-1660
Captain Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 10:58   #20
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

It is a well known fact that drugs like meth and coke are out of your system in 24 hours. And cannabis stays in your system in detectable amounts for over 30 days. Guess what all the captains and crews subject to testing do when they party? Random testing accomplishes what? Turns would be cannabis users who want a job into coked up speed freak alcoholics. No thanks.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 11:25   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
It is a well known fact that drugs like meth and coke are out of your system in 24 hours. And cannabis stays in your system in detectable amounts for over 30 days. Guess what all the captains and crews subject to testing do when they party? Random testing accomplishes what? Turns would be cannabis users who want a job into coked up speed freak alcoholics. No thanks.

Not exactly. Please google the facts you are alleging. I fired guys who did coke 3 days before the test. Likewise amphetamines can linger for up to 4 days.

Any Master worth a damn is drug free and never drinks on the boat. Many drink a bit off the boat. Once again, I know of no Master worth a damn who is a heavy drinker.

All the more reason for customers to interview the person they hire.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 11:42   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Not exactly. Please google the facts you are alleging. I fired guys who did coke 3 days before the test. Likewise amphetamines can linger for up to 4 days.

Any Master worth a damn is drug free and never drinks on the boat. Many drink a bit off the boat. Once again, I know of no Master worth a damn who is a heavy drinker.

All the more reason for customers to interview the person they hire.
I agree.
Even when I sail on my own boat I do not drink.

Funny side story.
When my middle son was young he asked me why do I drink and drive.
I asked him what do I drink when I drive, he answered you drink water when you drive.

LOL He was taught in school you where not allowed to drink and drive but they did not say what you were not allowed to drink.

The School Superintendent is a friend and I told him the story.
We had a good laugh.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 11:46   #23
Marine Service Provider

Most any clinic or even the corner medical doc-in-the-box do drug testing accepted by official agencies. I do my USCG medical certificate renewals, including the drug testing part at the doc-in-the-box down the street. They don't do alcohol testing because its a waste of time, nobody would show up if they been drinking and if they did they would be turned away. Alcohol testing usually come during an accident investigation.

Now tell me, when do you think the FAA would require a random test for drugs and alcohol if you are and airline pilot or flight attendant? Before you take off on your flight or after you've landed at the end of your flight?

Well, the ever interested in flying safety people, those intrepid men and women at the FAA require you to take your test after you have completed your flight. Go figure?

jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 12:11   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Such services already exist. What would you accomplish, or do better, by creating anoher one?

Ah, misread your post...never mind.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 14:16   #25
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

I needed an initial drug test for my USCG Master ticket. USCG has the right to randomly test you as much as they wish, plus they are required to test pertinent crew after any incident of great bodily injury or damage above various dollar amounts. I joined APCA for $85 - they were fast, cool, online forms, and also a live voice to check up on you. They had a huge list of labs, including Quest, and I peed in the cup. The Quest lab took care of everything else.

I got an email 3 months after getting my ticket for a random test. APCA emailed a voucher, I walked in at a Quest, and was done in a few minutes. APCA will cover unlimited random or proscribed tests for the basic membership.
Old 24-01-2019, 15:23   #26

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

I recently renewed my captain's license where I had to get a physical and a drug test. I Google Mapped to find the closest facility and Price shopped a little and phoned to make sure that they did it for the Coast Guard because some just do it for truck drivers. Every place I've ever worked enrolled me in the drug Consortium under their company. the last vessel I worked on had disposable breathalyzers. Over the years Several times I've showed up to work and have been told I have to go take a drug test.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 16:44   #27

Boat: Ericson/Gulfstar 50/ Noresman 447

Let’s look at this
The American Navy has a total non alcohol rule on all their ships , they have had two major collisions in the last few years, while many other countries eg British, Australian,New Zealand allow alcohol on board their ships, have not had the same incidents

When I served we received a “tot” of rum every day.(plus 2 cans of beer)

I don’t know if I like this politically correct world any more, I am mature enough to not drink etc when sailing. I don’t need the nanny state to set the rules.
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 19:24   #28

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Let’s look at this
The American Navy has a total non alcohol rule on all their ships , they have had two major collisions in the last few years, while many other countries eg British, Australian,New Zealand allow alcohol on board their ships, have not had the same incidents

I don’t know if I like this politically correct world any more, I am mature enough to not drink etc when sailing. I don’t need the nanny state to set the rules.
You may not need the rules but many others do. It’s all part of being in a civilized society.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 19:58   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Let’s look at this

While we don't have these "Consortium's" here in Aus (seems to be a US thing) Drug & Alcohol testing has been going on here for years and years. If you want to work in the Mining industry you will be D&A tested on a random/regular basis, if you want to work in the Offshore Oil & Gas Industry (including NZ) you will be subjected to random/regular D&A testing, you want to be a Truck Driver you will be D&A tested on a random/regular basis, Building and Construction, Taxi drivers etc etc, the list goes on and on and is just a fact of most peoples working life these days....

I have them about 3 or 4 times a year (not including the one for my work medical), i don't mind as i'm a tea teetotaller these days and don't do any drugs, plus my company pays all expenses involved so it's not a burden.....

Edit: As for booze on Australian ships? thats not going to last much longer, the crews are managing to stuff that privilege up fairly quick, look it up....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 05:21   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ah, misread your post...never mind.
No problem, it happens to us all.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote