Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2017, 10:39   #31

Boat: Grampian 26
Re: Affordable Camera, what's your favorite?

As a pro for 17 years, I'll just add for what it is worth that the camera should have a substantial wide angle lens or a really good panorama setting for interior shots of boats.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 10:44   #32

Boat: Liberty 458

Wide angle and low light capability are the key for me in terms of camera specs. Phones tend to be woeful.

Non camera issues like seeing the owners crap and seeing no evidence of cleaning are greater turnoffs. Won't even look at a boat if it's obvious the owner couldn't be bothered. It's a proxy for a lack of maintenance. Every time IMHO.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 12:23   #33

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I use a samsung S5 smart phone as my current camera. Since its my phone, its always with me. The pics and resolution are very good. Not excellent. No optical zoom. I chose the S5 because it relatively cheap ($250cdn), waterproof, and unlocked...so it works with any carrier. For making a quick kijiji ad or facebook posting, its quick and easy.

My other camera is a canon powershot elph 310 HS. I got it on sale for under $150cdn. It takes AMAZING pictures and has 8x optical zoom. Its an easy to use point and shoot type camera. The quality of the pictures is noticeably outstanding. I highly recommend it. Its not waterproof, but I've had mine out in the rain a few times with no damage. With a big SD memory card, it'll hold weeks worth of pictures and hours of video. This is a great camera.

My other, other camera is a fujifilm WPZ. Another easy, point and shoot device, but this one is not only waterproof, but goes underwater. Great for pics of the keel, rudder, prop...its really amazing. However, the overall picture quality is not that great. I'm told the more recent models have better picture quality, but I haven't bought one yet. Again, it comes in well under $200 cdn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Simcoe I Sailing 105.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	143789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Simcoe I Sailing 063.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	143790  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 12:30   #34

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Cool! I just bought something similar. ("4k", with the "30m" case and all the mounting bits)... was CDN$60 delivered. From following some forum instructions I adjusted the focus and it got better.

The construction isn't very reassuring, but so far so good. How is yours standing up? And the waterproof case?
Most GoPro cheapo clones have very poor low light abilities..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 12:37   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Great news for you: they're all good. Seriously, all cameras these days are outstanding... pick one that fits your hands and has the features you need. In my experience the Olympus makes very good outdoor cameras but I'm not sure any meet your price range but discounted you're close. Check out: Waterproof Digital Cameras - Tough | Olympus
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 13:12   #36

Boat: Sancerre 38

As an obsessive boat shopper, the quality of the camera is far less important than learning to take appropriate pictures. I have been through listings with dozens of photos and still have no idea what the layout of the boat is. Close ups of the sink, the microwave, and the inside of a drawer are not terribly helpful.
Kenr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 13:40   #37

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

The staff on Latitude 38 use a Iphone 6 for all there shots.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 13:45   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Most GoPro cheapo clones have very poor low light abilities..
True. I wasn't advocating that these would meet the OP's needs, just going on a derail and seeking related info.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 15:03   #39

Boat: Tayana 37

Although they normally sell for over $300, the Nikon AW130 can be had for $199 on sale. What I paid for mine. Excellent waterproof, rugged camera. Has adequate zoom and takes great underwater pics.
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 16:12   #40
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

As far as clean boats go, I am a huge advocate for this. Nothing is worse than lugging **** from starboard to port and then dumping it all in the v-berth.

What I tell all my clients is "I don't care how much it costs, if it didn't come with the boat in (__year manufactured__) and it's not a pillow with a lighthouse on it, it doesn't belong on the boat"

As for the swiftsure yachts. Agreed! I always ask for an in-water picture if possible. And make that the cover photo. And advise that a cockpit close up photo with you not wearing a shirt doesn't help with the sale of the boat unless you're a woman!

I try to get to all my showings early too and reorganize a little bit. First month on the job and I have 3 boats under contract already. Part of my interest in getting into brokerage was the almost pathetic performance from broker's I spoke with when I was in the market.

My girlfriend and I when looking at boats always made fun of the portly man taking a mirror selfie in the head. I pay close attention to keeping myself out of the pictures. As the boat I'm taking pictures of us for the potential buyer to imagine them self in. Not some bearded man with long hair, on their future boat.

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 16:15   #41

Boat: Kompier Kotter 44

[QUOTE=rwidman;2354214]Panasonic "Lumix" digital cameras have served me well.

Me too. Might be more than the $200 otherwise perfect for you.
Kudawudashuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 16:38   #42

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
The staff on Latitude 38 use a Iphone 6 for all there shots.
That explains a lot...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 17:45   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureStories View Post
Thanks guys.

I looked at the Nikon cool pics WP and the the Olympus ones on amazon. But I don't actually know anything about them. Just that they're near my price range and look cool.
See if you can pick up second hand an Olympus OMD E- M5 Mk1 with a 12 - 50 zoom lens, they are an excellent micro 4/3 mirrorless camera that produces reasonably high quality digital photos. The model has been superceded by the Mk II so you might find a good deal.
KiwiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 19:19   #44
Oc1

Another vote for the Fuji film fine pix. Its around $125 at Costco. Waterproof to 50 feet and drop proof for like 5. I take mine canyoneering and it gets drug on rocks, smashed against the water when we jump into pot holes from as high as 25'. It seems to take just as good of pictures as my friends Canons, Nikon, and Olympus cameras for a lot less money. Another cool feature that I'm sure lots of cameras these days have is the blue tooth app. I can blue tooth pictures to my phone or computer with no cord. Kind of nice.
Oc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 04:55   #45

Boat: Camano Troll

I will take pictures on my phone if I don't have my camera with me but if I want/need good pictures, I use one of my cameras. True, I can't call people with my camera or send them a text, but the camera has a better lens (optical zoom), more control of flash, shutter speed, depth of focus, etc. These make the difference between a "picture" and a "photograph".

The OP wants photographs to show potential buyers of boats. With my camera, I can do things like take a photo of the label on an alternator or the serial number of an engine.

My latest Lumix has a 30 X optical zoom, image stabilization and full control of shutter speed, aperture, etc. and a bunch of other features like preset "scenes" (sunset, night, portrait, beach, etc.) and cost me under $200 (refurbished).

I say he's running a business, he will do better with business quality tools.

BTW: I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I ended up with the cameras I did from reading reviews on camera sites, not boating forums.

Tags
camera