Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2024, 16:47   #1

Boat: 1975 oday 22
airhorn install

i am looking to install airhorn on my 22 oday. i want to have my compresser inside vberth on bulkhead port side. so where i have my airhorn sitting right now (not mounted) does anyone see any problems with it being permanetly mounted in this location? any ideas? other wise. my battery sits under counter. as i made a new switch panel tia
chieftain182112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 17:14   #2

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: airhorn install

Like to idea of airhorn but such horns are very likely to 'catch' sheets in most locations, including your proposed location. A flogging jib sheet will rip the horns from its mounting. Also, your proposed location might offer the horn as a handhold for your crew, not really a secure handhold

I think there are very few sailing boats with good horns, air or electric, because of 2 reasons: the electric ones are not really lasting a long time in the wet/salt environments, and the mounting is nearly always problematic.
That is why many boaters have a handheld horn, on a compressed air cannister.

I have such handheld horn, but my dream is to have one like yours, an airhorn. I have a compressor on board, but have not found an acceptable location for the horn.
Old 09-01-2024, 17:42   #3

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

I agree that you will likely regret having a large trumpet horn on the cabintop, at least until it gets ripped off, that is. I would also love a serious horn on my boat I just can't justify the hazard and inconvenience of mounting it anyplace I can put a compressor. I've resigned myself to the electric ones and I just expect to replace it every couple years. I put mine up the mast on the bottom of the radar swivel mount. I use the Ongaro Deluxe Dual Compact horn. I tried upgrading to the Ongaro Dual Shorty Trumpet horn but it blocked my steaming light.

I wired it up to a push button switch at the helm on a relay and another in the pilothouse and installed the Fogmate automatic fog signal controller. It works great, sounds more like a taxi than a "ship" but it's convenient having it hard wired and also out of the way, and I also keep a canned air horn as a backup.

Maybe not what you want to hear, but on a 22 foot boat, between the trumpet horn on deck and the compressor inside, it's seems like it's not worth the space it would take up and you should just have a couple of sports horns in the cockpit?

Good luck!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 17:43   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

Yeah that's going to catch a sail or a line.

I have my loudhailer mounted on the pulpit. I would like to have an air horn or whistle mounted below the radar scanner on the mast but logistics are a hassle and it's a low priority.

Despite the perceived satisfaction, youtube-worthy footage, etc., the safety benefit is marginal. There are rare situations where someone doesn't know you're there but the more common situations are that they're pretending they don't know you're there or are fully aware and have no intention of moving (or stopping or whatever). As such these are mainly an armchair sailing device rather than something actually useful on the water.
Old 09-01-2024, 18:16   #5

unless there is a posablity of mounting on the handrail? all sheets would run under in this case? or just atop the window sideways. ? i dont have a big compressor. its the size of a chuncky soup can.
Old 09-01-2024, 20:28   #6

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

I tend to agree with previous posts.
The contemplated location is a magnet for every line on the boat, and it's a trip hazard.
In reality, a dual-trumpet air horn on a 22' trailer-sailer is kind of like a 4-year-old running around in daddy's cowboy boots and Stetson hat.
Old 10-01-2024, 05:42   #7

i guess the only place i can really mount these is on my spreader bar or drill into my mast and mount them there?
Old 10-01-2024, 05:49   #8

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I've seen horns like that mounted on a sailboat, but they were dead center in front of the companionway where they'd be least likely to snag anything. Off to the side would be more of an issue, I think.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 12:06   #9

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

If you have a RADAR platform, you could mount the horns directly underneath. [That is where ours is mounted…]

FWIW

Cheers, Bill

PS: Also consider what we did and connect the air horns to the bilge high water alarm [with a mute switch]…
Old 10-01-2024, 15:58   #10

well after many hours of deliberation and hming and hawing along with many busting my chops on this airhorn subject, logically thinking about this. i will no longer be installing them on my boat. so, your asking yourselves this question now "what is he going to do with the airhorns:? well you see . the story goes a lil like this..... back about 4 years ago i picked me up a daymak road warrior. . ok so now you ask me , What is a daymak road warrior? as the story goes on , the daymak road warrior is an all terrain street legal ebike. can you see where i am heading with this story? anyways. the existing horn really sucks . so i plan on installing this unit into it. as for a boat horn i will buy a few hand held air canisters. thank you all for the replies and knowledge and for bustin my chops. lol..... so now your asking, what does this bike look like. well here it is. mind you this is the stock photo. i have mine modded out with a few things. but untill the airhorn is affixed i wont show it. mine does not have the mufflers. and i also installed bush lights. and a led scrolling msg plate.

https://daymak.com/road-warrior.html
Old 11-01-2024, 12:01   #11

well, i just got an idea from someone , and i would never have thought it on my own, and noone here has actually mentioned it either. surprising enough. but i will be buying another airhorn of the same as i just installed on my bike. and adding a bow sprit to my boat.
Old 11-01-2024, 13:36   #12

Boat: Columbia 36

I saw one novel approach to this once. The boat had Dorade vents on the deck and they put one horn in each box. They were completely protected from snagging lines and the only things visible were speaker grills mounted in the box fronts for the sound to come out.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote