Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2020, 23:22   #16

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C
Re: Amel Repower or not

There are new perkins available at about $10k including gearbox. The have the same footprint as the 4236. An option if you really want to repower. I agree with others that a rebuild is the way to go. I priced a rebuild kit including sleeves, pistons, gaskets, bearings etc. at 450 GBP. The 4236 uses replaceable cylinder sleeves so reboring is not necessary and the block is not limited to the number of re-bores and can be rebuilt over and over. Replacing sleeves is much simpler than reboring. I have a rebuilt 4236, starts immediately and is very smooth. Your Amel is a great boat. If I was an educated potential cruiser, I would avoid your boat if it had the Yanmar because of the complexity and reliance on electronics. A lightning strike and no engine. Also you will not recover the cost of repowering with the Yanmar. Apart from the engine cost, the installation will be very costly.
Maybe forget about repowering or rebuilding. Hours are not indicative of the engine state. It is how the engine has been used and maintained. Have an engine test to determine if the engine has a problem, then decide. The ease and low cost of rebuilding the perkins is a great selling point.
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 01:03   #17

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

If I was in the market for a boat like yours, I would not walk if your boat had a near new Yanmar common rail engine. In fact, after a while the Amel Super Marumu series (which followed the Mango) had Yanmars in them as well.

However having a Perkins 4.236 (with 9926 hours) myself, I am biased as is Singularity: I would keep the Perkins if possible. There are easy and cheap to rebuild (if that is what is needed).

As said up thread, Amel buyers can be very particular and sometimes it is frowned upon if things are not original.

If I had the repower, ... I would not choose Yanmar, but pick a newer Perkins ie the Phasar range, and likely better still, a Kubota based Beta:
https://betamarine.co.uk/portfolio/beta-90/
This is a similar engine (non turbo), similar weight and dimensions, and 5 or 6 extra horses, at similar RPM (2600), so no need to re-prop.
I know that a few owners of Super Marumu have gone the Beta way.... hmmm, wonder why they didn't pick another Volvo or Yanmar?

On edit:
In post #3 it was suggested the space for the engine could be limited... actually a 6 in-line engine or even a V8 would still fit, hehehe what about a Gardner?..... just kidding
Old 13-09-2020, 09:06   #18

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Wile a new engine will be an attractive item to many or most potential buyers, economically it would add very little to the selling price on 1983 boat. Guess your Amel is well maintained overall and the actual overall condition would matter much more.

A good out of boat overhauling at a good shop should probably be the better choice, with less headaches due to multiple changes needed, at I would guess, 50% of the cost of a new engine. This can add 20 more healthy years to the boat’s propulsion which is what any buyer can dream of.

Best of health and luck!
Old 13-09-2020, 10:05   #19

Boat: Amel Maramu 48

Hi,
I agree with #11. Get the Perkins re-manufactured and dynamometer tested by a Perkins expert. No need to mess around with new engine mounts and changing all the other connections....and less than half the cost of a re-power.
Regards,
Chicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 01:27   #20

I have a Perkins 4236, had it for twenty years, has not missed a beat. bought it used, had it rebuild purely for piece of mind , part are available all around the world, would not change for anything !!!
Bossi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower