Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2019, 03:55   #241

Re: America’s Cup - ETNZ launches 1st AC75 (new)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Try not to think of it as a hijack....just an innocent diversion until someone comes up with new AC footage.
We are all anxious to see and read more....but you have to admit
England really spanked the All-Blacks in this other significant sporting event [emoji6]
It happens every so often and England were definitely deserving winners of that game but the All Blacks are still the most consistently successful sports team over the last 100 years or so and they win ratio in the last few years is pretty damn impressive.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 09:06   #242
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

jmh2002 ...... you wear me out...

...how about this...

...here comes England.....they have hoisted their drifter and get a burst of speed...
...but, no, wait, the Kiwi's respond with a tack and flop over to the new foil....
...the English see this maneuver and respond with a tack of their own...
...the finish line is in sight....
...NZ goes to cover and their mainsheet parts....oh no....they are dead in the water...
...The Brits are thru !!!

...see, I tried, can we be friends now and find some joy here...puh-lease !!!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 09:24   #243

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
jmh2002 ...... you wear me out...
Just think for a minute who is actually wearing who out...

The member who continues to post about odd suppositions, disinformation, plainly invalid data, bumble bees, wind vane self steering, rugby, etc, etc, in the thread titled:

"America’s Cup - ETNZ launches 1st AC75"

Or... the member that consistently posts factual data, articles, videos, rules, diagrams, expert opinions, etc, etc, on the topic at hand?

You can easily start your own separate threads on your preferred other topics if you so desire, but you seem to prefer constantly hijacking and derailing this thread instead...

It's really a pity and a sad reflection.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 09:52   #244
Marine Service Provider

...well, jmh2002, I enjoy reading your posts, you are clearly very knowledgeable about the AC75 boats...and I hope you will continue to post your very thorough explanations, pictorials, video's and views.

....statistically though, it has been shown that if you were to fill a room with 10 experts on any given subject, you are likely to get 10 different opinions, which is is why we convene here to discuss the AC75 boats and to discuss and share opinions.

...I may not necessarily agree with another poster and vice versa..and that is not really the point...I'm not here to score points or win any argumentative battle or try to show that I'm smarter than any other poster, but rather to "chat" about the various aspects of these boats and offer my perspective, right or wrong.

...having said all that, a bit of levity and diversity should not be considered an unforgivable sin. We are not in school here, and there is no headmaster to crack the whip and keep us all in line.

...it is in my nature to throw in a bit of levity from time to time as I think life should be lived with a smile and not a frown and I try to break the ice so to speak and I'm not likely to change my ways anymore than you are yours.

....so why don't we smoke the peace pipe here and you can join the rugby chat until such time further information on the AC75 boats are divulged.
Old 28-10-2019, 14:00   #245

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
England beats New Zealand in the 2019 world rugby cup semi-finals game, much to the amazement and dismay of that entire island nation !!

The Kiwi's have arguably the best rugby team in the world.

Is this a view of the future in AC75 races ? Can the indomitable Kiwi's be trounced on the water as well as land ?
The Patriots just lost a football game. Should Golden Gate Yacht Club be worried about 2021? What an absurd connection.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 16:44   #246
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Any updates on America's Cup?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 01:01   #247

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

America’s Cup – Nyetimber promo Video reveals foil detail

https://www.sailweb.co.uk/2019/10/29...s-foil-detail/

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sailweb.co.uk

The recent INEOS Team UK promo video for Nyetimber Wines featuring the launch day had an interesting view of the foil flaps.

The full length flap configuration on the Britannia foils, which appear to be slightly different on each side at this testing stage, have raised a lot of interest.

Quote:

Another feature of interest on the Ineos boat surrounds the deck layout.

With the wheels positioned ahead of the rear grinder position, it raises the question of how easy it is for the helm to cross under the decksweeper mainsail that far forward.

And does that mean that British team intend to use two helms?

Quote:

The New York Yacht Club boat, clearly have rear positioned wheels, aft of the grinders.

They also have a boom for their main at present, with plenty of room for the crew to get under.

The ETNZ boat appears to be using a mixture, a main with an infill sail area between the boom and the deck.

But it is not clear at present what position the wheels are relative to the grinders, although one grinder could be aft of the wheel, similar to the Ineos layout.
Old 29-10-2019, 01:07   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Any updates on America's Cup?
From a safety perspective, I believe that the photo above of Team UK's cockpit layout shows "Spare Air" type breathing apparatus (yellow canisters) at each crew position.

This differs (at least on Team UK) from the AC50 catamarans where I seem to remember that most crew wore a vest which was a combination of buoyancy aid, body armour, and integrated spare air.

Old 29-10-2019, 01:42   #249

During the previous America's Cup, Team New Zealand partnered with Dianese.

(for those who are unfamiliar, Dianese are an Italian company famous for making motorcycle leathers and protective equipment, but over the years have made many technological advances and moved into other sports too including skiing, mountain bike riding, horse riding, and finally sailing too)

Dianese produced a special version of their "D-Air" system (basically a wearable airbag) especially for TNZ's sailing application.

Dianese D-Air: https://www.dainese.com/row/en/d-air/system.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianese
Since 1972 Dainese has been making the history of motorcycling safety. D-air® detects automatically an unsafe situation and it activates to protect. It is the first airbag system designed specifically for motorcyclists. The natural evolution of our mission: to create the next frontier in the protection of humans.
https://www.dainese.com/fr/en/corpor...m-new-zealand/

Quote:
09.11.2016 - DAINESE TO REVOLUTIONIZE SAILING SAFETY WITH EMIRATES TEAM NEW ZEALAND

The SEA-GUARD is fully ergonomic and designed to combine both protective and floating functions; Dainese is currently collecting data to equip the SEA-GUARD with D-air®, the protection system that detects dangerous situations and automatically inflates special airbags around the athlete's body. First produced for World Championship riders, the D-air® system has since been developed - together with the FIS-Ski - for professional skiers and now it is ocially used in the World Cup Series skiing races.

https://www.dainese.com/de/en/corpor...icas-cup-2017/

Quote:
27.05.2017 - Dainese & Emirates Team New Zealand revolutionise the world of sailing

Previously unimaginable performance for the new AC50 "flying" catamarans... At over 50 knots, the conditions facing the crew are extreme, similar to those to which MotoGP riders are exposed.

This has led to the creation of SEA-GUARD, the first item of protective clothing specially designed for competitive sailing. SEA-GUARD, in addition to its floating function, provides impact protection and also allows complete freedom of movement...

SEA-GUARD is the only ergonomic and comfortable solution designed to optimise crew performance. SEA-GUARD incorporates an aerodynamic motorcycle hump, together with the Oxygen tank housing – something that the sailors must use in emergencies such as when the boat capsizes - and for on-board communication devices...

https://www.dainese.com/gb/en/corpor...-new-zealand/#

Old 29-10-2019, 07:38   #250
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
From a safety perspective, I believe that the photo above of Team UK's cockpit layout shows "Spare Air" type breathing apparatus (yellow canisters) at each crew position.

This differs (at least on Team UK) from the AC50 catamarans where I seem to remember that most crew wore a vest which was a combination of buoyancy aid, body armour, and integrated spare air.

Interesting “spare air” mounted to the vehicle only makes sense if your strapped in and can’t move as it’s relationship to you won’t change, but even in helicopters flying over water it was on the left side upper chest on our vests.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 08:24   #251

Yes, good points.

Maybe these are additional units and the crew will still wear a unit on their person too?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:36   #252
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
America’s Cup - ETNZ launches 1st AC75 (new)

I’m the worlds worst for causing thread drift, so don’t take this as a complaint because it would be the kettle calling the pot black.

But there seems to be quite a lot of interest in Rugby, so why not start a thread in the off topic forum for Rugby?
Don’t take that as a compliant, because it’s not, just thought some may enjoy a Ruby thread is all, and if it had its own thread maybe more would speak up.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:01   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
...why not start a thread in the off topic forum for Rugby?
It was suggested already, but one particular member seems to have nothing better to do but continue to derail and hijack thread topics instead...

Reported.

Probably I will unsubscribe and no longer post technical data in this thread.

It is pointless when this member repeats such activity again and again and no action is taken.

Clearly this is done on purpose. It is targeted, and with malicious intent.

From the Rules here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules

- Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:27   #254
Marine Service Provider

...I just wanted to say this...
...I thought England being in the AC competition against NZ was a good analogy, as typically, they have not been recent AC contenders..
...I'm done now, you can have this thread back...
Old 02-11-2019, 08:31   #255
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
It was suggested already, but one particular member seems to have nothing better to do but continue to derail and hijack thread topics instead...

Reported.

Probably I will unsubscribe and no longer post technical data in this thread.

It is pointless when this member repeats such activity again and again and no action is taken.

Clearly this is done on purpose. It is targeted, and with malicious intent.

From the Rules here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules

- Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track.
OK, here's the deal. Life doesn't always go the way we want and there are lots of annoyances along the route.

Don't threaten. PROBABLY will not get you any traction. Either do it or don't do it. There are lots of rules in life that get ignored, and its just ..... life. You have no idea what we do in the background and you don't know the timescale.

We the mods don't like a lot of the things that go on either....... We sort it out as best we can.

So you decide what you want to do and enjoy the CF as is, or not.

MichughV..... if you are doing it on purpose and deliberately causing dissension, we will have a little chat about it. My strong advice is to stay within the bounds of the topic on this thread, thread drift is one thing.....this looks like another.

you guys need to just lighten up.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote