Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2020, 21:51   #346

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: America’s Cup - ETNZ launches 1st AC75 (new)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
This channel has no videos.

(both channels)
Ok, well pity for living in the USA...

As 75Driver said, you can use a VPN (or a Smart DNS - less drag on your connection) to solve being blocked.

Did you also try the other links to the AmericasCup.com website? Eg:

https://www.americascup.com/en/relive

I have family in Australia who said the YouTube Live feed was blocked but the AmerciasCup.com one was not (even though they are the same feed).

Here's a map of the coverage and times that might be useful for others:

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 21:51   #347

Thumbs up Re: America’s Cup - ETNZ launches 1st AC75 (new)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Well, the YouTube commentators are led by the American Ken Read, but he is a serious racing sailor, the the Kiwi Stephen McIvor who is not a sailor as far as I know, and then they have Shirley Robertson, a British Olympic sailor, and Nathan Outteridge who is an Aussie and past AC sailor so of cpourse really knows his stuff.

https://www.northsails.com/sailing/e...f-commentators

I can also watch the TVNZ (Television New Zealand) Live coverage, and they have a whole lot of people that I don't know and who are not sailors... plus well known Kiwi sailors Peter Lester and Phil Robertson.

However TVNZ frustrated me by playing ads, missing the start of Race 2, and not being in sync with Virtual Eye (at least not for me) so that wasn't a good start today...

Thanks for all your info, cheers.
75Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 22:00   #348

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Driver View Post
Thanks for all your info, cheers.
Yeah no problem. Normally the same like the boats, the live broadcasters tend to improve their performance as time goes on too.

Seems like everyone needs to make some changes after today's efforts

I see the best setup seems to be to have 2 screens, or a big TV and split the view (connect the laptop to the TV) with the Live feed and the Interactive Virtual Eye.

Because for some reason they are not overlaying very much data on the Live feed and that's kind of essential with the pace that these races are sailed at.

Here's a view of the Virtual Eye:

Old 16-12-2020, 22:07   #349

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Yes the live feed is hopeless compared with the same thing last cup. And the commentary is pathetic too, not concentrating on any of the important events. They even completely missed the start of the second race. Really poor coverage
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 22:18   #350

Yes some improvements needed all round!

But still a great event and even though ETNZ lost Race 4 today. I'm sure they had some foil control problems, they weren't even foiling into the start box on time. Still that made for some very exciting viewing as they fought to come back.

And that race was only in about 8kn true. Just imagine if it was blowing 20kn!

The lee bow tack by Luna Rossa against Ineos during the prestart was also pretty heart stopping with the boats going at each at high speed.

Amazing, can't wait for tomorrow, the forecast is for similar weather, or maybe even a bit lighter. I hope it's not too light.

Old 17-12-2020, 06:03   #351

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Driver View Post
It’s a real shame the entire AC has evolved into a very small contingent of elite money/design efforts. I miss the days when you had 6-8 challengers, dual boat teams, more traditional vessels, etc. I know these foil cats are amazing tech and fast as all get out but limiting participation doesn’t help the sport evolve or attract spectators...
I think the focus on getting more participants and making the event more popular for TV and spectators is unnecessary. For much of the first 150 years there were just two boats. One rich guy challenged with his boat and one rich guy defended with his boat. There were no spectators and, of course, no TV.

But it was definitely the peak of sailing, recognized as such by everyone, exclusive, elitist, nothing like it.

But starting with the 12's in the 1970's there were a few more rich guys who wanted in. So then the challengers allowed a competition to see who actually got to challenge and the defenders added a competition to see who got selected to defend.

But we don't need that.

We don't need to lower the bar to add competitors. Who cares if the masses watch it or not.

I'd be happy if, instead of the circus it has become, if it was just two boats out on the horizon duking it out.

And if they made the challenger sail his boat across the ocean to the site of the race, we'd be better able to relate to the kind of boats which resulted.
Old 17-12-2020, 10:04   #352

Boat: Outremer 55L

The off the water intrigue is fun too - the skirts on Australia 2(s) were pure theatre.

This time, amongst other things, we have Sir Ben Ainslie accusing Team NZ of supplying foil canting control software with bugs that they refuse to fix, leading to their problems on day 1 and also showing with other boats (including TNZ presumably). Just wait for the lawyers to get involved!

Theatre, pure theatre. It is part and parcel of the AC.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 10:38   #353

Anyone know how to watch AC this time? I searched on line and it said you have to subscribe for something like $200+ ........

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 11:22   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Anyone know how to watch AC this time? I searched on line and it said you have to subscribe for something like $200+ ........
Please read my recent posts above - I posted multiple different links and possibilities.
Old 17-12-2020, 11:25   #355

Boat: Outremer 55L
America’s Cup - ETNZ launches 1st AC75 (new)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post

Are the americascup.com links posted way above not working for you (geoblocked?).

YouTube then: America’s Cup, but I’m not sure that the videos are live.

Apparently Fox Sports has the coverage in US.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 12:31   #356

YouTube has all the live feeds (it's the same official 'international' feed as on AmericasCup.com) but other members above stated all the official YouTube feeds are blocked in the USA.

I didnt see a definitive answer yet if AmericasCup.com is blocked or not in the USA.

(I have family in Australia who also stated that YouTube was blocked for them there but AmericasCup.com was working)

And as also mentioned, a VPN or a Smart DNS is an option to get around geoblocking.
Old 17-12-2020, 13:30   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Are the americascup.com links posted way above not working for you (geoblocked?).

YouTube then: America’s Cup, but I’m not sure that the videos are live.

Apparently Fox Sports has the coverage in US.
America's cup.com: "Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 14:28   #358

For those that are totally blocked and can't manage an alternative solution here are some unofficial YouTube channels where you will be able to watch some other delayed coverage.

LiveSailDie
https://www.youtube.com/c/LiveSailDieVideos/videos

AirflowNZ Travel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdN...9VVkF3w/videos

Justin Mitchell
https://www.youtube.com/c/JustinMitchellTV

Old 19-12-2020, 10:06   #359

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Having watched the racing yesterday live and this moron again on YouTube, I have to say I’m confused. Perhaps there are rules specific to AC that I’m not aware of so maybe someone can help me out here.

Back in the dark ages when I used to race sailing boats, there was a luffing rule in which a leeward boat was legally entitled to turn to windward towards a windward boat who was threatening to foist a poor start on him. The rule in simple terms I believe was “weather boat keeps clear/gives way”.

In the start of the 4th race on Day 3, Prada was approaching the line to weather of ETNZ and held ETNZ off the start line, pushing them well past the end of the start line, causing them to have tack onto port to cross the line and losing several 100 metres.

So why did Burling not simply go for the line and luff Spithill? In my day, that would have been strategically smart. What am I missing here? Have the rules changed in general or is it just for AC?
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 10:24   #360

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Having watched the racing yesterday live and this moron again on YouTube, I have to say I’m confused. Perhaps there are rules specific to AC that I’m not aware of so maybe someone can help me out here.

Back in the dark ages when I used to race sailing boats, there was a luffing rule in which a leeward boat was legally entitled to turn to windward towards a windward boat who was threatening to foist a poor start on him. The rule in simple terms I believe was “weather boat keeps clear/gives way”.

In the start of the 4th race on Day 3, Prada was approaching the line to weather of ETNZ and held ETNZ off the start line, pushing them well past the end of the start line, causing them to have tack onto port to cross the line and losing several 100 metres.

So why did Burling not simply go for the line and luff Spithill? In my day, that would have been strategically smart. What am I missing here? Have the rules changed in general or is it just for AC?
To me it looked like TNZ were too low to get up the the line without tacking onto port. (the wind had shifted to the right and crossing the line on starboard tack was going to be difficult unless you were very close to the line, which TNZ was not). Heading up would slow them and probably cause them to fall off the foils.

But the other factor here is that a following boat can control a boat ahead. If the boat ahead comes up the boat behind ducks below and hooks the boat ahead, then takes them up, either over early or into a stall position. No matter what the boat ahead tries to do the boat behind has an answer. So if you find yourself directly ahead of the other boat at the start your only choice is go go away from the line and hope the other boat breaks off, which is what happened.

I'm interested in what others think.