Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2021, 21:13   #496

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: America’s Cup - ETNZ launches 1st AC75 (new)

Sigh, another dominant performance by LR. Consistently faster upwind, especially VMG, and faster through their tacks. Again did a very good job defending the correct side of the course.

Sir Ben Ainslie is an awesome sailor but has gone missing somehow.

Sure didn’t want this series to be a white wash, but it’s really looking like that. 2 days off enough to find some speed and MOJO of IUK?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 21:18   #497

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Yeah, pity for the event, because the speeds are close enough for some really good racing but not if mistakes keep being made by INEOS. So sadly it's becoming a bit of a procession.

INEOS winning the start would probably have made for an unbelievable race with Luna Rossa trying to get by, no doubt eventually doing so due to superior upwind pace.

But we have started to see some real classic match racing tactics coming out now and it would have been great to see INEOS trying to defend a lead against Luna Rossa, instead of trying to play catch up against them.

Tough to come back from 4-0 nil down.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 21:50   #498
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Sigh, another dominant performance by LR. Consistently faster upwind, especially VMG, and faster through their tacks. Again did a very good job defending the correct side of the course.

Sir Ben Ainslie is an awesome sailor but has gone missing somehow.

Sure didn’t want this series to be a white wash, but it’s really looking like that. 2 days off enough to find some speed and MOJO of IUK?
Barring human mistakes, I think white washes are to be expected when you bring in a whole new AC class of boat.

The edge on performance decrease after a few campaigns with the same design concept .... but right now, Prada has a big advantage in light winds, still better in medium and even on high with UK.

Ben is being forced to try and win it at the start with a very skittish design.

Prada can just focus on sailing a smooth race.

I predict the AC will be a white wash to, but don't know which team
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 22:37   #499

Auckland will be going into level 3 lockdown for 72 hours, which requires work from home, schools and public places closed, and no boating. As of tonight the Wednesday 5 and 6 races are postponed.
Old 14-02-2021, 01:45   #500

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

I think 7-zip is on the cards. Sir Ben is a brilliant sailor but as they say, you can’t make a silk purse from a sow’s ear. Even if Ineos win the start, LRPP will grind them down with better boat speed and the oft-expressed opinion will prevail - the fastest boat always wins.

It’s a pity for the sponsors - 7 races instead of 13. Four days of sailing instead of seven. 50% exposure for 100% of the cost. Watching another three processions will be almost painful. Maybe if Ineos can win a start, a tacking duel will keep the faster boat in check? Here’s hoping . . . .

Practise and probably races 5 & 6 over the next few days would in any case not have happened even without lockdown - wind predictions are 30 - 45kn, sometimes 50kn for Monday to Wednesday.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 05:44   #501
CF Adviser

At the post race conference Spittle gave a lot of the credit to his Grinders and Ben also mentioned thier importance.

I dont.understand technically what they are actualy doing !

Is it just maintaing hydraulic pressure to a central system.or each goes to a certain running component?.

Some have speculated that UK are undermaned in this
Old 14-02-2021, 06:47   #502
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I keep reading where the Brits have been messing around with their foils...LR is clearly faster....may be marginal.....but that's all you need....that extra 0.5 knot of speed..
The starts for the Brits have been atrocious, I really expected to see better, but they have lost every start and it's been all downhill from there...at this rate....not looking good...

The foils are...I believe operated by battery powered electric motors....the mainsail track is operated by hydraulic rams, so the grinders are pumping the hydraulic reserve tank....the mainsail is constantly being trimmed...not sure how the jib is controlled, but would assume the same as the main...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 11:59   #503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
At the post race conference Spittle gave a lot of the credit to his Grinders and Ben also mentioned thier importance.

I dont.understand technically what they are actualy doing !

Is it just maintaing hydraulic pressure to a central system.or each goes to a certain running component?.

Some have speculated that UK are undermaned in this

There was some discussion on one of the broadcasts of what the grinders do, in addition to turning handles. On IUK at least each grinder has a screen that shows all the hydraulic systems, each one’s draw, and each one’s capacity. Each grinder can direct their output to one or more systems.

I don’t think we’ll see a tacking duel like in final leg of the 7th race in 1983, but if IUK can win the starts and stay ahead on the upwind legs then they can win - the speed difference is not more than what aggressive sailing cannot overcome.

I’m not sure whether in either race IUK didn’t throw some tacks when they otherwise wanted to, but you would think that a 12.5% decrease in available power could be a factor. If not, why do the other teams want the extra output - they would all prefer a dedicated tactician I should think?
Old 14-02-2021, 23:11   #504

America’s Cup - ETNZ launches 1st AC75 (new)

I think I figured out why LR has out performed IUK so far in the Prada finals - Italian style vs British stodginess. Just look at what they each use to protect their eyes from wind and water at 50 knots:

Jimmy Spithill
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1613372997.421691.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	232592

Sir Ben Ainslie
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1613373007.010825.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	232593
Old 15-02-2021, 04:56   #505
CF Adviser

Im pretty sure the Italian budget is the largest.
They really want that cup!
Old 15-02-2021, 11:12   #506
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The Kiwi media did a long interview of Spithill at a gym where he trains with a pro boxing coach. He had apparently been doing some intense training in the days/hours before the sailing last weekend. Can’t helped but think that helped with being mentally prepared to attack at the starts.

Also the Prada boat is much easier to maneuver and quicker in maneuvers with the extra 2 grinders.
Old 15-02-2021, 11:55   #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Im pretty sure the Italian budget is the largest.
They really want that cup!

No, IUK’s budget is the highest, roughly double that of Team NZ and higher than either AM and LR combined.

It’s hard to say exactly, as apparently Ineos UK have put £500M towards four AC campaigns. This is the second in that campaign, reportedly £110M.
Old 15-02-2021, 12:09   #508

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
No, IUK’s budget is the highest, roughly double that of Team NZ and higher than either AM and LR combined.
Maybe just a poor description but that makes no sense.

“Either AM and LR combined” is my version of an oxymoron but that aside . . .

“higher than AM and LR combined” but “roughly double that Team NZ” would require that one or the other or both AM and LR have lower budgets than ETNZ. I would struggle with any one of those three options.

But I believe you’re correct, Ineos as far as I know has the largest funding by far.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 13:31   #509

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Maybe just a poor description but that makes no sense.

“Either AM and LR combined” is my version of an oxymoron but that aside . . .

“higher than AM and LR combined” but “roughly double that Team NZ” would require that one or the other or both AM and LR have lower budgets than ETNZ. I would struggle with any one of those three options.

But I believe you’re correct, Ineos as far as I know has the largest funding by far.

“Combined” was my error. It should be each. Sorry.
Old 15-02-2021, 17:20   #510
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I’m personally a bit unsure how accurate the reported numbers are. I believe AM may have over spent the estimated 100 million by quite a bit. Also basically the reason the Stars and Stripes ���� team didn’t move forward as their expected principal wasn’t up for the funds that became required. Apparently the Long Beach YC is still in arrears for the funds initially pledged to the AC.