Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2021, 19:45   #526

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: America’s Cup - ETNZ launches 1st AC75 (new)

Yes of course in general money is not being given away for free here, whether that be in F1 or the America's Cup.

Sponsors are looking for a return on their investment. It's more like a paid advertising / marketing contract than a "oh we like what you guys do here's some money to help out" type of deal.

The return on investment to Auckland city itself is also quantified in many different ways, from the construction of infrastructure to the international exposure for the city and the country, both of which continues on for years if not decades after the Cup itself.

It's not just about the full hotel rooms and busy restaurants that would normally be expected during the Cup period (without Covid). There are a lot of different ways to see value from the various investments.

I even posted an article earlier explaining the high tech spinoff in NZ business that has been generated by the existence and operation of ETNZ over many years. And this is not only in the yachting industry, but in wider industry too.

So it's not just a simple matter of black and white or profit and loss, especially for a small country like NZ that always needs to promote itself abroad.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 21:14   #527

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post

ETNZ is the most successful team in the modern era of the Cup. Could they be considered the Mercedes or Ferrari of the America's Cup?

That would be interesting considering the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team is a major partner of INEOS Team UK....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 05:52   #528

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Interestingly enough, some years back, I opted to do some salmon fishing in Vancouver Sound.

Walking down the dock in Nainamo, on Vancouver Island, BC, to meet my fishing guide, I strolled by two older 12M AC boats, back when 12M was the name of the game, tied up next to each other, that were tied up to the dock. I forget their names. Sorry. My guide told me they were used to provide " rides" for "tourists" on Vancouver Sound.

So, I can imagine that the current crop of AC 75's foiling boats will see out their lives as a tourist attraction. I, myself, would spring a few bucks, to zip around one of these foiling giants for an hour or two.
Unfortunately these boats are too complex to operate without a full support team and shore team. The "per hour" cost would be quite high.
Old 17-02-2021, 07:56   #529
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I hear ya.....was just watching a Youtube video on what it takes just to trim the main...a full time job for just one of the crew...off course, you have another 6 people just grinding the hydraulic fluids....plus, a helmsman, etc, etc...though I'm sure some of this stuff could get electronically controlled or otherwise automated...
The boat could get outfitted with a " passenger" seating arrangement...

Nah, I think you are right....unlikely to happen....you'd have to sign a liability waiver a yard long.

But.....it's conceivable that smaller simpler versions could be built. Foils have already extended to smaller dinghy racing boats, etc...

It's on my bucket list...may never happen, but if a situation arose that was viable, I'd be tempted to give it a go...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 20:33   #530
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Looks like the Feb 24th Prada Cup deadline has become a contentious issue because of the COVID delay.

Part of the Rules, but it will be a shame if this is not decided on the water, but by the calendar .
Murray seems pretty down on last minute changes
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 21:02   #531

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Racing is back on, starting Saturday.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 22:59   #532

Boat: Outremer 55L

Not a great forecast - SW 10 knots system wind in the morning both days, variable winds late morning to afternoon, then building NE 10 knots sea breeze in the evening. Starts of first races likely to be delayed to allow the breeze to build and settle.

They won’t use courses B and C to avoid crowds on shore (the level 2 alert level limits gatherings to maximum 100) and are keeping the village closed for the same reason. Course A to have the cleanest and strongest wind - the waves shouldn’t be an issue.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 23:00   #533

Anyone think that Ineos UK can pull off some wins?
Old 19-02-2021, 05:02   #534
Marine Service Provider

these races are pretty much won...or...lost ....at the start...win the start.....win the race....lose the start...lose the race....if Ben can win the start...Ineos can win the race
Old 19-02-2021, 09:09   #535
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Anyone think that Ineos UK can pull off some wins?
If the winds are light as they say, it will be tough, but I would hate to see a white wash.

The competition is over already unless UK wins next 4 races as this Sunday Feb 22 is last race day.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 11:40   #536

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
these races are pretty much won...or...lost ....at the start...win the start.....win the race....lose the start...lose the race....if Ben can win the start...Ineos can win the race
Except to say that in Bermuda, Burling lost the start on more than one occasion (in the LV series) and by simple superior boat speed, reeled in the opposition and won the race.

LRPP in my view has the edge on boat speed. I’m expecting a 7-zip whitewash. Hope not but it won’t be the first time it’s happened.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 13:01   #537
Marine Service Provider

These courses that have been been set up in Auckland, leave little room for a disadvantaged boat to make any significant gains. Zip...up...zip...back down.....rinse and repeat....the whole race done in 30 minutes or so...the only significant thing I see is that one side of the course is usually favored over the other, from a wind speed point of view...be in the right place at the right time...especially so in light airs...and you can take home a win.

I hope it's not a white wash....I'd like to see the Brits take it, but LR will put on a good show. Hard to deny the facts at hand.

I hope the final is not a whitewash either, no matter who the challenger will be..

Ah well, by the time I wake up tomorrow, I will know whether the writing will be on the wall or not.....the Brits gotta win 4 just to stay in the game...hmmm......
Old 19-02-2021, 14:49   #538

Course E today, so shifty and puffy. Maybe a lottery, maybe tactical skill, definitely ability and design to lift off in lighter winds in the lower power band.
Old 19-02-2021, 16:32   #539

Just left Gulf Harbour, to the north of Auckland Harbour and today’s race course. SE 8 knots! The weather app shows SW 9 knots at Bean Rock (just to the W of the race course) and NE 8 knots at Passage Rock (E of the race course).

Gonna be shifty I bet, unless the sea breeze really fills in or the SW establishes itself.

Please Ineos UK, win some races and make it a decent series.
Old 19-02-2021, 19:38   #540
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: America’s Cup - ETNZ launches 1st AC75 (new)

That's it, not watching anymore.. its gonna be a whitewash..
Italy vs NZ next..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote