Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 10:53   #1

Boat: Nordic 40
Antifouling Help...

Hello, I’m just about to paint my sailboat hull and I’m wondering if anyone with good experience can answer questions / give me some pointers .
So far I have sanded down to 2 coats of the previous primer left. I’d like to add fresh primer now. How many fresh coats of primer should I put on at this point? How many gallons ?
I have worked it out that my hull is about 456 Sq Ft. (40ft fin keel) I will be using Interlux InterProtect 2000E Primer, and Micron 66 antifouling paint. The Micron 66 is pretty pricey, but worth it from what I’ve read. I’d like to do 2 coats paint. I don’t believe 2 gallons will be enough and I will need a 3rd gallon of Micron 66. Should I use 2 different colors of Paint? Maybe 1 gallon of first color for first coat, and then 2 gallons of 2nd color for 2nd coat?

Some other pressing questions I have are, how long do I wait between coats, of both primer and paint? How long before painting after primer as well? Don’t think I’ll have much help on this. Can I get it done myself? In Florida humid weather.

Any other info, I should know, please share.

Thank you so much in advance if you can help this Newb out ! I realize these questions may not be the easiest to answer.
SV Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Antifouling Help...

I don't mean to put you off, Newbie, it's just that International has instructions, which I've attached as a PDF. Bottom paint is really picky stuff. Do not cut any corners. Do exactly what they say, and if you switch to another paint, don't assume that the same instructions apply. Best of luck with it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf micron-66-info-usa-eng.pdf (116.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-06-2020, 11:43   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Antifouling Help...

Micron 66 is good stuff.

If you use different colors it sure makes painting easier and better.

As for primers etc. simply follow what the cans say. Hard to know what primers you have had and then the rest depends.

E.g. if the primer is epoxy, most antifouling paints will be painted before the primer dries hard. It is called thumb test. If you wait too long, the af paint may slime down once in the water. But other primers may require other tricks, e.g. sanding.

So as for primers - study the cans. Colors - mix. Micron 66 is good.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote