Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2023, 06:18   #1

Boat: Niagara 35 Classic
Antigua to Florida

Hi, I am new owner of a Niagara 35 located in Antigua that I need to bring home to (or closer to) Canada next spring. I don't have enough experience to go via Bermuda as I have only ever done 2 overnight passages. Planning to leave Antigua around March 14. I'm looking for advice on best route. I imagine some longer passages with breaks to rest and restock. Unfortunately this is more of a delivery mission than a cruising experience. I think Virgin islands for sure (maybe Anguilla on route?) then not certain. DR seems complicated (time consuming) with entry/exit rules and the Navy. Bahamas is a dream but maybe expensive and navigationaly complicated for just passing through. What is simpler? safest for passages? Bahamas? Turks and Caicos? PR? DR? Cuba?
Also, not sure how many crew I will have. Looks like at least one, an American and I am Canadian.
Any advice will be warmly welcomed.
I know sailing and schedules do not mix well and I don't imagine I will make it to Canada but Istrive to go as far as possible while only sailing in safe conditions. I plan to enjoy the stops that nature insists on and travel when possible. Thank you!
Solo dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:33   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Antigua to Florida

If you had time to cruise I would suggest going via the VI, then Puerto Rico, then the Bahamas, to Florida or the Carolinas, etc. Since you will be in a hurry the offshore route either direct to say Beaufort, NC is probably the best bet. What is your ultimate destination? You could always reroute to the Bahamas if you needed or wanted to, but there is a $300 fee for 3 months. Head offshore from Antigua or St. Thomas and mileage will be around 1500. Just be sure to be back in the USA by the end of June to avoid hurricane season. The run from Antigua to Bermuda and then to say Newport is one of the "milk runs," and is typically a great passage with favorable winds. The first leg to Bermuda is longish, but shorter than going direct to Beaufort or the Chesapeake. Frankly, I think the offshore runs are less difficult than the island-hopping route through the Bahamas, if you are in a hurry. The Bahamas require lots of charts, pilotage, timing for daylight arrivals, etc. Supplies are expensive and not available everywhere. No navigation aid in the Bahamas is reliable. Spectacular cruising, but you are on a delivery.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:28   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
If you had time to cruise I would suggest going via the VI, then Puerto Rico, then the Bahamas, to Florida or the Carolinas, etc. Since you will be in a hurry the offshore route either direct to say Beaufort, NC is probably the best bet. What is your ultimate destination? You could always reroute to the Bahamas if you needed or wanted to, but there is a $300 fee for 3 months. Head offshore from Antigua or St. Thomas and mileage will be around 1500. Just be sure to be back in the USA by the end of June to avoid hurricane season. The run from Antigua to Bermuda and then to say Newport is one of the "milk runs," and is typically a great passage with favorable winds. The first leg to Bermuda is longish, but shorter than going direct to Beaufort or the Chesapeake. Frankly, I think the offshore runs are less difficult than the island-hopping route through the Bahamas, if you are in a hurry. The Bahamas require lots of charts, pilotage, timing for daylight arrivals, etc. Supplies are expensive and not available everywhere. No navigation aid in the Bahamas is reliable. Spectacular cruising, but you are on a delivery.
Agree with that routing except I would not do VI but instead, St Martin. Clearing in on French side is free and easily done at the Chandlery located by the fuel dock at the entrance to the lagoon canal. Fuel is a better price and the victualling is extensive and excellent - indeed I would stock up there for the rest of the trip, only buying the bare minimum in Antigua for the short hop.

From St Martin its 800 miles North to Bermuda, the first 2 or 3 days will be still in the Trade winds so a very nice reach, the back half, well, you take what the good lord gives you.

I've done this trip many times so for me, its a bit of a milk run. Usually 2 handed but your insurance company may require 3 pax. Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:48   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

I have done it 2 times from smx, sxm to Ft Lauderdale with 2 stops in Bahamas, 1 stop at Nassau, from there by the Bank to Gun Cay, if the weather is good, in one night to Ft Lauderdale.

Passing VI BVI PR to the north, it's a delight, DW run.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 17:53   #5

Boat: Niagara 35 Classic

This is very helpful and encourages me to go to Bermuda which I know is the obvious course but intimidating. My destination is St. Peter's ,Nova Scotia Canada so it's another 800 knots after Bermuda and I am there.

Two big passages and I am home. Would it be to my advantage safety wise to enter the Antigua -Bermuda race? Is there safety in numbers? I would certainly be way behind the pack! Am I just as well off to go to St. Martin and travel on my own? Thank you!
Solo dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 18:25   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I have gone the Bermuda route when the admiral wanted to be in Newport by Memorial day. One of the tougher passages I have ever made, with one cold front when I approached Bermuda and another one as I approached Newport. Memorial day is too early to be in the Northeast.

My more usual route has been through the Spanish Virgins and up the Old Bahama Channel to Ft Lauderdale. Once in Florida, we visit the friends and relatives up the East Coast. May get some early season northerlies, but can wait for better weather and do a series of daysails or overnighters the rest of the way. Think St Augustine, Charleston, Pt Lookout, Fishing Bay, Annapolis, Sassafras, Atlantic City, Atlantic Highlands, Port Washington, Duck Roads, Newport, Onset, Isle of Shoals, and Portland, and you are almost home. My only advice is that it is a lot nicer on the shore side of the gulf stream than in it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 18:31   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Antigua to Florida

I too vote for the St Martin.. stock up and do any refit of gear there from the cheap Chandlers then a fairly easy run up to Bermuda.
Take a day or two to rest up once things are done before you set off.. anchor up off Grande Case to get in the mood before the jump.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 05:37   #8

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I have gone the Bermuda route when the admiral wanted to be in Newport by Memorial day. One of the tougher passages I have ever made, with one cold front when I approached Bermuda and another one as I approached Newport. Memorial day is too early to be in the Northeast.
I missed that the OP wants to leave March 14. That is too early for the Bermuda route. It can be darn cold and stormy in New England in April. Much better to leave late May or so and be in New England the first half of June. We did it from the VI to Bermuda, and then Bermuda to Newport. Though we started out with stiff trades we soon ran out of wind and barely got into Bermuda before a big gale. Then we had a fast run up to Newport and barely got in before another big gale. The trick is to leave Bermuda with a forecast that gets you across the Gulf Stream before anything hits.
Old 05-09-2023, 06:24   #9

Boat: Grampian 30

Without knowing your ultimate destination in Canada it's hard to recommend a complete route.

If your destination is the east coast somewhere then the suggested Antigua, St. Martin, Bermuda and then direct to Canada would be a good option. You could add a stop in Rhode Island perhaps if you need a break or want to wait out approaching weather.

If you are heading for the Great Lakes then I would suggest the above route to Bermuda, but then head for New York and take the inland waterways to Lake Ontario (via the Hudson, Erie Canal, and then Oswego Canal).
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 07:32   #10

Op - I am Canadian and have done the route twice. Once up, once down. Going up, I left Antigua and lined for Saint Martin. Didn’t stop, and just continued north west staying off the coast of the Bahamas and florida approx 150nm. Stayed this range offshore, all the way north to Halifax. I departed late April/3-3@6 May and the trip was great until the final two days to Nova Scotia. Pea soup fog and lobster pots everywhere.

The trip south, I did halifax to Bermuda and then onto Antigua. It was a much much easier, quicker and more relaxing trip than the one going north. It was in October, but my recommendation would be to just do the straight shot north
Sailingallday is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antigua, florida